Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Travel Insurance? in the Vacation Planning forums; What is everyone's opinion on purchasing travel insurance? I got a package quote from The Magic For Less and they offer the insurance for like an additional $59.99 per person ...
    fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Travel Insurance?

What is everyone's opinion on purchasing travel insurance? I got a package quote from The Magic For Less and they offer the insurance for like an additional $59.99 per person (I'm the only one traveling). Would it be worth the extra expense or no? This is my first time travling solo so I want to try and make this as easy on myself as possible so I can just enjoy my trip. Thank you in advance!

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

cheshire_cat_81 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I would do it. You are traveling during hurricane season. you never know what's going to happen.

Is there still a risk of hurricanes in mid-December? I'm more concerned about snow storms delaying and/or canceling flights.

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    Where are you flying from? What AP?
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

Indianapolis....we got really lucky last year and had a mild winter until mid-January, but no one can guarantee it'll be the same this year.

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    Yeah I remember. Ohio, here. Winter was kinda a dud last year (tho I'm not complaining!) I guess what carrier are you flying? Most will try their absolute best to get you on your way. I've never done travel insurance myself because a.) I'm a poor college student and b.) I can buy food and souveniers for 60 bucks
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

I'm not quite sure what airline yet. I've found some decent fares on Northwest, AirTran and on Orbitz.com (US Air and Northwest).

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    I wouldn't if it's just you.
    I would, however try to book an early flight. That way if anytihng does happen, there are more flights that day and you don't lose out on a night at your hotel. Also, book directly through the airline. Even if you find it on Orbitz, you'll usually get it for $5-6 less on the carrier's site. Try for non-stops if they're not toooo much more $$$, less of a chance of a misconnect in another city, you want to be in IND or MCO, not somewhere in between. Last but not least, check in early... especially if you have internet access. You can check in up to 24 hrs in advance for almost all airlines. If a flight is oversold, you don't want to get bumped b/c you checked in late!
    -Tanya

Jan '07 Pop Century, Mar '07 Day Trip, April '07 Off Property, May '07 OKW, July '07 POR, Oct '07 Pop Century (& MNSSHP!!!), Dec '07 Day Trip

Jan '08 POR
    Feb '08 Pop
    Mar '08 Off Property
    April '08 AS Sports - I think - still gotta book it

catiebug is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I tend to get trip insurance just because I like knowing that if anything happens that I will have it to fall back on.

I bought mine last year through AMEX since that is who I paid for my trip though. It was something like $30 for the 2 of us for the entire $2k paid for our trip. I think it has increased but it was still cheaper than WDW which was $200 for both of us.

lonegungirl is offline A-Ticket holder
    I think it depends on what you're looking to cover. I sometimes get travel insurance if it's a big trip and I travel with people who are elderly or who might have some sort of medical complication that could require canceling the trip. If the main concern is weather, I would think you'd have to read the policy carefully to see what exactly it covers and what it would reimburse for those situations. I have heard a lot of reports that a lot of the policies offered don't end up covering all the circumstances you might think they would.

disneylady is offline REMEMBERING THE MAGIC

Why You Need It

Hi......I,M FROM THE UK....................I had a very bad experiance in 2005 October while on the flight travelling to Orlando........................................... .....thank god for Insurance.......if I guide you to read my old "trip report" on what happened to me & the "cost" maybe it will help you to see both views .........wether to get or not get Insurance.............Please do go & read what happened.........in "TRIP REPORTS & MEMBERS REVIEWS"
    CLICK ON PAGE 7
    SCROLL TO "DISNEYLADYS NIGHTMARE/DREAM HOLIDAY"
    THATS ME
    HAVE A GREAT ,TROUBLE FREE TRIP & A GREAT TIME AT THE WORLD

I Belle
    Maggie