Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Extra Day Plans in the Vacation Planning forums; On our short 3.5 day trip, we plan to only do 2 days at the parks. The other half for DTD. Any suggestions for the full day that won't cost ...
    kriskay is offline B-Ticket Holder

Extra Day Plans

On our short 3.5 day trip, we plan to only do 2 days at the parks. The other half for DTD. Any suggestions for the full day that won't cost us as much as the parks? We will have transportation. Thinking about the beach? How far is it? Will it be warm enough the beginning of November to enjoy?

Any ideas for around Orlando for say... $25-$50?? Maybe things to do at the resorts?

~~Kriskay~~

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    to DWT!

The beach is about an hour or so away (a local will be able to tell you more accurately). Things around the resort: have you considered the water parks? Typhoon Lagoon will be closed in November, but Blizzard Beach will be open. There is a wave pool/beach there, as well as slides, tube rides, and the like.

You could resort hop, taking time to check out each one. There are activities at some of them that are free or low cost - hula lessons at the Polynesian, fishing at a real ol' fishin' hole at Port Orleans: Riverside, Tea at the Grand Floridian... you'd have to do some research to find out times and places, but you could easily spend a day that way.

How about renting a Water Mouse or a pontoon boat from one of the resorts on Seven Seas Lagoon or Crescent Lake.... fun way to spend an hour. You can also rent surrey bikes at the Boardwalk and some other resorts, but Boardwalk has probably the best loop to ride on.... Miniature golf at Fantasia Gardens or Winter Summerland.... in the evening, the Boardwalk has entertainment and I was hearing great things about Jellyrolls from some other guests on the Magical Express bus back to the airport.

Hope that gives you a few ideas!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by kriskay View Post
    On our short 3.5 day trip, we plan to only do 2 days at the parks. The other half for DTD. Any suggestions for the full day that won't cost us as much as the parks? We will have transportation. Thinking about the beach? How far is it? Will it be warm enough the beginning of November to enjoy?

Any ideas for around Orlando for say... $25-$50?? Maybe things to do at the resorts?
    Figure on about a 90 minute drive to get to Cocoa Beach.

Early November temperatures will still be plenty warm enough to go to the beach, unless you happen to be a Floridian. According to the weather channel's web site, Cocoa Beach's average November high is 78. Water temps right now are still in the 80s. I don't think the water here ever gets below 75 or so, but in November it should still be at or near 80.

I don't know if this falls in your price range -- at about $35-$40 per person it's cheaper than a one day ticket at the Disney parks, but not by much -- but the Kennedy Space Center is a pretty interesting (and full) day if you're into that sort of thing.

If you like zoos, the Brevard Zoo in Melbourne, also about 90 minutes from Disney, is a very good (if small) zoo, and adult admission is something like $10. The zoo closes by around 5 or so, and I'm not sure you can really spend a full day there anyway, so if you're going to make the drive you might want to have something else planned to do afterwards.

If you're interested in more about any of what I've said, let me know and I'll post some links to more authoritative information.

Without leaving the Orlando area, there is a lot of outlet shopping, and there is a "tourist trap" section running along International Drive from Wet 'N Wild almost all the way down to Sea World, with all kinds of mini-golf places, haunted houses, a Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum, dinner shows, etc.

Let me know what you want to know more about and I'll point you to more information.

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    Hi Kriskay!

I liked DisneyDame's suggestion of checking one of the other resorts out. Maybe you could make ADRs for a restaurant at a resort and have a nice, relaxing day there.

Smack81

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Sea World often has a week for the price of one day offer for out of towners. That way you could use it on your half day as well.

The Gaylord Palms hotel often offers some seasonal kids programs and is cool to check out.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.