Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Any tips for relaxing things to do in WDW? in the Vacation Planning forums; Jim and I are headed to the world from Jan 26, 2008 thru February 2, 2008 and want to try to do some relaxing on this trip. Any ideas or ...
    Debbie-Habba is offline C-Ticket Holder

Smile Any tips for relaxing things to do in WDW?

Jim and I are headed to the world from Jan 26, 2008 thru February 2, 2008 and want to try to do some relaxing on this trip.
    Any ideas or things we can try ??

thanks
    debbie

PS we are staying @ Animal Kingdom Lodge

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom-Morrow"

nicki12 is offline Disney Fan and Twilighter
    I think just walking around World Showcase is relaxing.

Nicole a.k.a. nicki12 ~ a Navy daughter
    Huge fan of the Twilight Series!
    "All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Well, it depends on what your idea of "relaxing" is.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Yensid78 is offline A-Ticket holder

Relaxing Tips

There are several things that come to mind. You could do a tour of all the resorts, horse back riding at Fort Wilderness, rent a sea doo boat down in downtown disney (p.s., make sure to wear flip flops and shorts and there is a chance you can get wet when the bigger boats go by), make a reservation at one of the spas. I do not know what you're spending limit is but Discovery Cove makes for a very relaxing day. We have been twice now and plan on going again next year. OR how about a segway tour at EPCOT. Or as previously mentioned, just touring world showcase and trying all the different foods can be fun and relaxing (and painful if you don't watch what you eat ) Those are just a few things that come to mind.

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'm going to state the obvious and say to sit out on your balcony and watch the animals, especially at dusk, dawn or when rain showers come in. The animals seem to be more active when its a little darker and cooling off outside. We stayed there once during a thunderstorm and the zebras were going nuts running around and bucking every time it thundered. The pool, as long as it isn't too busy, is also very relaxing.

For other relaxing things, I would head over to Fort Wilderness Campground and just tank a walk around some of the loops and hiking trails. As well as visiting the petting farm and the stable where they keep the draft horses for Main Street USA. Taking a walk around some of the other resorts, especially the Riverside and French Quarter, comes to mind.

Smile

thanks for all your tips .. I will consider each one of them.
    boating is really not for me ... we will definitly be spending some time w/ the animals in our Studio.. that's for sure! the spa is great ..Jim got me a mani/pedi package @ Saratoga (our home resort) for my birthday in May and it was AMAZING!!!
    the hiking trails sound nice too .. no hustle bustle!

what is discovery cove? not sure if I have heard of that.

thanks again
    debbie

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    Well, it depends on what your idea of "relaxing" is.

he he !!

Yensid78 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I didn't even see that you are staying at the lodge! We stayed there last year and there is so much to do. Make sure to visit the area just past the pool around 7 I think, they do night watching of the animals. Don't hesitate either to strike up a conversation with one of the cast members since they are all native to Africa. We learned so much from them while we were there. Make sure to try out Boma and Jiko if you have never been. Also, there are tons of artifacts and pieces of art around the hotel itself, you could spend a whole day just leisurely walking around the reading about all of that. I must have spent hours just sitting and reading on my balcony watching the animals. We ordered room service one day and had breakfast on the balcony. They also offer a safari type tour throughout the grounds. Make sure to ask the concierge when you check in about that.

Discovery cove is a sea world park. You can go and spend the day there with or without a Dolphin experience. It is pricey (about $260 a ticket) BUT they only allow up to 1000 people in a day and that includes lunch as well as open bar and snack type items all through out the day. They really cater to you and provide you with all the gear you will need. This is definitely not for those who do not like being in the water though as that is pretty much all you do all day is float around getting catered to by all of the staff. It really does feel like you are on some secluded island somewhere. really a one of a kind experience.

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    love the animal kingdom lodge, great choice! like others have suggested take in your resort...watching the animals from your balcony is great and i do love the night vision goggles...also if you want to head over to the boardwalk or Y&B club you can walk around the boardwalk...it's a nice relaxing walk, you can walk into the shops or get a snack on the boardwalk and i love people watching.
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    We treated ourselves to some ice cream at DTD yesterday, and then found a quiet spot behind the ice cream place to just sit and watch the boats travel around the lagoon. We found that very relaxing.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    * Make a spa reservation.
    * Rent a boat on Bay Lake or the Boardwalk waterway
    * Watch Disney movies in the theatre on Main St behind the camera shop
    * Do the walk-through exhibits where you set your own pace - AK's Maharaja Jungle Trek & Pangani Forest Trail, DHS's One Man's Dream, Epcot's Seas pavilion
    * See the shows at DHS and AK - Beauty and the Beast, Indiana Jones, Lights Motors Action, Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo, Festival of the Lion King, Flights of Wonder
    * Hang out at the Adventurers' Club in Pleasure Island
    * Catch a showing of Cirque Du Soleil
    * Grab a tube and drift in the lazy river in either water park
    * Take a boat from Saratoga Springs or Port Orleans to Downtown Disney and back, just for the heck of it.
    * Rent one of the big bicycle thingies at the Boardwalk
    * Hang out at Jellyrolls or the ESPN Club on the Boardwalk
    * Tour some of the other deluxe resorts - the three on the monorail loop, the Epcot area resorts, Saratoga Springs, Fort Wilderness
    * Go horseback riding at Fort Wilderness (or is it Wilderness Lodge? One of the two)
    * Go mini-golfing at Wintersummerland and/or Fantasia Gardens

These are all off the top of my head. I'm sure there's much much more too

Quote Originally Posted by Yensid78 View Post
    I didn't even see that you are staying at the lodge! We stayed there last year and there is so much to do. Make sure to visit the area just past the pool around 7 I think, they do night watching of the animals. Don't hesitate either to strike up a conversation with one of the cast members since they are all native to Africa. We learned so much from them while we were there. Make sure to try out Boma and Jiko if you have never been. Also, there are tons of artifacts and pieces of art around the hotel itself, you could spend a whole day just leisurely walking around the reading about all of that. I must have spent hours just sitting and reading on my balcony watching the animals. We ordered room service one day and had breakfast on the balcony. They also offer a safari type tour throughout the grounds. Make sure to ask the concierge when you check in about that.

Discovery cove is a sea world park. You can go and spend the day there with or without a Dolphin experience. It is pricey (about $260 a ticket) BUT they only allow up to 1000 people in a day and that includes lunch as well as open bar and snack type items all through out the day. They really cater to you and provide you with all the gear you will need. This is definitely not for those who do not like being in the water though as that is pretty much all you do all day is float around getting catered to by all of the staff. It really does feel like you are on some secluded island somewhere. really a one of a kind experience.

thanks for your tip on the cove, but we only do DISNEY things while we are there, no universal or seaworld.. we are just partial to DISNEY I guess..
    thanks
    debbie

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    There are carriage rides available at Ft. Wilderness and the Port Orleans resorts that are very pleasant. Carriage and Wagon Rides

At AKL, there is a public balcony with rocking chairs overlooking the courtyard/savannah. I think it was just off the lobby, on the right side of the big windows, near a fire place.

I'd also recommend watching the Fireworks and/or Electrical Water Pagent on the beach at the Polynesian, or hanging around there afterwards enjoying the view across the lagoon.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page