Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Visiting Animal Kingdom with 2 year old - thoughts? in the Vacation Planning forums; OK - I've been travelling to the parks for 35 years - but never with my 2 year old daughter! Specifically, I'm hitting Animal Kingdom in about 10 days (last ...

Visiting Animal Kingdom with 2 year old - thoughts?

OK - I've been travelling to the parks for 35 years - but never with my 2 year old daughter!
    Specifically, I'm hitting Animal Kingdom in about 10 days (last there 3 years ago), and would love some feedback on which attractions are and which are for her.

Here's the list - you're welcome to copy/paste and put + or - or comments... THANX!!!

Africa
    Kilimanjaro Safaris
    Pangani Forest Exploration Trail
    Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade
    Rafiki's Planet Watch
    Wildlife Express Train
    Habitat Habit!
    Conservation Station
    Affection Section
    Asia
    Kali River Rapids
    Expedition Everest
    Maharajah Jungle Trek
    Flights of Wonder
    Dinoland U.S.A
    The Boneyard
    Primeval Whirl
    TriceraTop Spin
    DINOSAUR
    Kids Discovery Clubs
    Cretaceous Trail
    Oasis
    The Oasis Exhibits
    Camp Minnie-Mickey
    Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends
    Festival of the Lion King
    Camp Minnie-Mickey Greeting Trails
    Discovery Island
    The Tree of Life
    It's Tough to be a Bug!
    Discovery Island Trails

Forgot about Finding Nemo
    (anything else I'm leaving out?)
    Last edited by Rocketeer; 01-06-2008 at 12:57 AM.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    What you may want to skip (or have to due to height resrtictions) .....
    Primeval Whirl
    TriceraTop Spin - not sure about this one, she may like this, check it out first
    DINOSAUR
    It's Tough to be a Bug!

You may want to skip some shows just because of the wait time and some shows/exhibits may be boring to a 2 year old
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    When we went in 2005 the little monster was 2.5 yrs soooo...lets see.

Kilimanjaro Safaris--a little bumpy but loved all the animals
    Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade--She loved having all the characters stop by to visit.

Dinoland U.S.A--didnt do this till this past year...very HOT and not really anything for that age to do
    Kids Discovery Club--I would say at 2 a bit to young to comprehend what they are all about but a good interactive with CM's experience.
    Camp Minnie-Mickey--cant skip the characters.
    Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends--havent been to this but from what I saw a little to slow moving for the toddler set, more preschool elementary stuff
    Festival of the Lion King----IF YOU DONT TAKE HER TO THIS I WILL PERSONALLY SLAP YOU....LOL She will love this. Best show in the park.
    It's Tough to be a Bug!---maybe a little dark and scary at times, if you do take her hold her on your lap to avoid the sensors in the seats.

Sorry I dont have more info but we didnt do a lot at AK that trip.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Which attracitons your daughter will like depend very heavily on whether or not she likes animals. If she does, the Jungle Trek, Forest Exploration Trail, Conservation Station, and Safari are all great. If not, they could be very boring. Keep in mind that the Trek and Trail are both walking tours - if she's walking, she could get tired and cranky by the end of it. If she's in a stroller, *you* could get tired and cranky by the end of it. :-)

If you take her to It's Tough To Be A Bug, prepare her first. This single attraction is the source of more terrified screaming crying children than every other WDW attraction put together. Parts of it are completely in the dark. Giant spiders come down from the ceiling. Hopper shoots loud scary "bug spray" at you. Your chair attacks you from the back. Right before you leave, bugs crawl under your butt. One bug shoots his stingers at you. It can be horrifying. Make sure if you take her both you and she know what to expect.

Festival of the Lion King is worth the price of admission (okay, maybe not worth $70 for the one day admission, but still). It's a must-do, no question. Finding Nemo is also excellent, but you have to line up for it well in advance of showtime.

Dinosaur is hit-or-miss. Some people get scared on it (but no where near as bad as Tough to Be A Bug). It's very dark, and there's Dinosaurs everywhere - it can also be a bit bumpy.

Triceratop Spin is Dumbo with dinosaurs instead of elephants. If she like Dumbo, she'll like that.

Boneyard is a good place to relax and let her roam semi-free, a nice break from the structured pace of the rest of the park - no lines, no waiting, just explore and have fun.

Primeevil Whirl is a fairly tame roller coaster, but it's a bit jerky, and getting bounced around on the turns is not uncommon.

I hope this helps!

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    Aside from attractions that she'd obviously be too short to ride, I would skip out in Dinosaur and Its Tough To Be A Bug. I probably see more screaming children come out of Dinosaur than any other attraction at WDW. We even saw a 7-9 year old come out of there hysterical one of the last times we were over there. Most kids, especialy little kids, anymore are just not prepared dinosaurs that look or act any different than Barney or other cartoon dinosaurs. As for Its Tough To Be A Bug, I've seen some kids like, I've seen others that screem and cry. It will probably come down to if your child is frightened by the dark, of bugs or of unsuspected surprises like the "hornet stings" on the back of the seat.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Previous posters did a good job of suggestion NOT to see Dinosaur and It's Tough to Be A Bug and anything with height restrictions. They are just too real for anyone under the age of 7 and Matt Hochberg (so I hear)

I would think a toddler would love the safari ride, the animals along the jungle trek, the Wildlife express train, Flights of Wonder, and definitely the Festival of the Lion King. There seems to be a long wait time between getting a seat and the show starting at Finding Nemo the Musical. Once things got under way, a toddler might enjoy it.

Have a great time.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Thanks for the input, so far!! Animals? Yes. That's why we're doing this park rather than MK. (I first went to MK when I was ~4 and looking back I think that was a magical age of wonder.) I'm so not looking forward to lines - it's hard enough to wait in the airport 30 minutes for boarding, then waiting for takeoff... Definitely not going to do Dinosaur and Bug (I had a niece at 8 who freaked out just with the intro on an IMAX movie - boy that was one long movie after that. I think my arm is fully healed!!) Would love to do the Nemo show without a wait? If I stub my toe can I get handicap privillages and get right in??
    Last edited by Rocketeer; 01-06-2008 at 02:10 PM.

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    I take my 2.5 yr old to WDW alot and AK is one of his favorites...he LOVES the Lion KIng and the petting zoo....I woul avoid Tough to be a Bug, we tried it last time and he was terrified.

Have fun!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by disneydarling View Post
    I would avoid Tough to be a Bug, we tried it last time and he was terrified.
    Even my wife didn't appreciate all the effects in Bug the first time she saw it - I think it had been a long day...

heatherhy01 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    We took my daughter to Disney when she was 2 and we had a wonderful time. My daughter did get tired during the day, we took our own stroller since I could lay it down and she could be comfortable. She would just take her nap as we continued through out the park. Sometimes we would sit and have a snack while she took her nap. I definately would not take her on dinosaur. My daughter did ok in it's tough to be a bug. I held her on my lap and as long as she did not "feel" the affects, she was fine. She did really enjoy the safari and The Lion King. Good luck and let us know how she does.l

"When people laugh at Mickey Mouse, it's because he's so human; and that is the secret of his popularity."
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by heatherhy01 View Post
    ...we took our own stroller since I could lay it down and she could be comfortable. She would just take her nap as we continued through out the park.
    I've been lifting weights and strengthing those arms - my daughter's only good in a stroller for about 4 minutes, then it's OUT! We're not planning to take one. She really prefers being carried when tired. (I would have to pick the largest park!!!) Hopefully we'll get our timings right - when (I mean - IF) she naps, I can run to Everest ... or stand in line for lunch.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Hi, Craig! Can't believe the little one is 2 already! I remember you announcing her arrival!

Here's my 2 cents worth,

Africa

Kilimanjaro Safaris - try to sit in the row behind the driver, it is less bumpy.
    Pangani Forest Exploration Trail - lot of walking between animals, but gorillas are fun
    Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade - definitely fun to watch, great music
    Rafiki's Planet Watch
    Wildlife Express Train - ride is short enough and only way to get to Planet Watch
    Habitat Habit! - sort of a walk-through thing, not too much for little ones
    Conservation Station - they bring some animals out for petting and some character Meet & Greets (Jiminy Cricket was there when we were last time)
    Affection Section - petting zoo, hands on fun
    Asia
    Kali River Rapids
    Expedition Everest
    Maharajah Jungle Trek - tigers are cool, viewing areas good for smaller ones. Also includes the bat house. Again, a lot of walking
    Flights of Wonder - shaded, open-air theater with bench seats, birds fly over heads in some cases, especially near the aisle seats. I believe it is about a 30 minute show.
    The Boneyard - climing, sliding, digging, fun kid stuff. Just watch out for older children running wild.
    Primeval Whirl - 48" height requirement
    TriceraTop Spin - Prehistoric Dumbo, essentially. You can tilt the dino or something, but she probably would be too short to reach the control.
    DINOSAUR - 40" height requirement
    Kids Discovery Clubs
    Cretaceous Trail - wander through foliage and dino statues. Kill time while mom or dad rides Dinosaur.
    Oasis
    The Oasis Exhibits - play hide & seek with animals (they say they are in the exhibits, but man I can never find them)
    Camp Minnie-Mickey
    Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends - show, cute but low-key and talky
    Festival of the Lion King - exciting and fun, though loud. Sit up front if she gets into things and might dance along.
    Camp Minnie-Mickey Greeting Trails - meet & greets, with safari gear.
    Discovery Island
    The Tree of Life - ooooh, ahhhh
    It's Tough to be a Bug! - Preshow area is claustrophobic and noisy, show is dark and scary at times, and heck the spiders gave me nightmares for weeks.
    Discovery Island Trails - good shortcut if you can find it from one side to the other, pretty views and some animals.

Finding Nemo - great show, great music, very enjoyable. Not as loud as Festival of the Lion King, and not as interactive, but basically follows the movie story line and all the recognizable characters. Sit just behind the center divide for total view, down front more if you like to be surrounded by the show. The line outside looks daunting, but it is a big theater (with air conditioning!)

Good luck and have a great time!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    Hi, Craig! Can't believe the little one is 2 already! I remember you announcing her arrival!
    Here's my 2 cents worth
    2 cents worth? That was more like $1.99!!

Thanks for your input - I've been there a few times, and befriended some animal technician CMs, but have never looked through the eyes of a 2 year old, at 34 inches, with legs that aren't yet made to tackle 500 acres. We'll probably hit all the quiet stuff, the safari twice, and the main shows (not Pocohontas - I fell asleep the first time I 'saw' it). Haven't seen Nemo yet, so as long as the wait isn't more than 3 minutes (), we'll be in good shape!!

enderica is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post

If you take her to It's Tough To Be A Bug, prepare her first. This single attraction is the source of more terrified screaming crying children than every other WDW attraction put together. Parts of it are completely in the dark. Giant spiders come down from the ceiling. Hopper shoots loud scary "bug spray" at you. Your chair attacks you from the back. Right before you leave, bugs crawl under your butt. One bug shoots his stingers at you. It can be horrifying. Make sure if you take her both you and she know what to expect
    Ok now I am terrified! LOL! I also have a 2 yo son........but I think he will enjoy all of that if I keep a good grip on him !

Maria
    Maria

mysticks1 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by enderica View Post
    Ok now I am terrified! LOL! I also have a 2 yo son........but I think he will enjoy all of that if I keep a good grip on him !

Maria

If he has watched the movie and likes it he might love the show. If you take him you might want to sit in the rear and near an exit. On a family trip a few years back my nephew (4) was terrified by It's a Bug's Life (Our first attraction too). We ended up in the front and the giant grasshopper rose up out of the stage right in front of us. He had to be carried out screaming and he wouldn't go into anything that looked dark for the rest of the trip. My DD who was 7 loved it and we see it every trip. Beware the Stink Bug as well.
    Mysticks1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast