Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss August resort-hopping trip booked! in the Vacation Planning forums; WHOOOO!!! As of yesterday morning, my next WDW trip is booked. I will be going to the World with my friend Charlene and her niece Nyomi from August 9 through ...
    mritty is offline Fastpass Holder

August resort-hopping trip booked!

WHOOOO!!!

As of yesterday morning, my next WDW trip is booked. I will be going to the World with my friend Charlene and her niece Nyomi from August 9 through Augst 17. We're going to do four nights at Pop Century, then one at Beach Club Villas, and the last three at Caribbean Beach.

VERY EXCITED!!! :-)

I was also plesantly surprised to find that AAA got me 20% off each of the rooms. I thought it was only going to be 15% at the BCV.

I have one special surprise for Charlene and Nyomi on this trip - I want to book a Wishes Cruise for our first Magic Kingdom night. My plan is to not tell them about it at all, and just coerce them into leaving the park and heading to the dock at the appropriate time. This is something I've wanted to do for a while, and I think this trip will be the one. I'll be on the phone to WDW-PLAY at exactly 7am 90 days out. Please cross your fingers for me to get the reservation...

This will be 12-year-old Nyomi's first ever trip to WDW. In fact, Auntie Charlene isn't telling her where she's going until we get there. This will be my first trip to WDW involving a child. Any particular recommendations for me? I know we have to get Nyomi a First-Timer button. And I'm going to making dining reservations as soon as my 180 days open up (I'm thinking of Cape May, Yak & Yeti, and maybe Teppan Edo, none of which I've been to yet).

I know that Old Port Royale at Caribbean Beach will be closed while we're there, but as I understand it, there are like 6 other pools at the resort, so I'm hoping that doesn't matter too much....

191 days to go!

(oh yeah, and 62 days to go for my April Disneyland trip. )

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    All I can tell you is that going to the world with a child totally changes the experience. Seeing their reactions to everything, seeing it through their eyes. I had gone for years and years without a child. Then shortly after my husband I and got engaged we took my step-son (he was 12 at the time). It was an incredible experience. I was pregnant at the time so not long later I got to have my first experience with my son. I have a whole new appreciation of Disney and have seen so many things I've missed now that I've gotten to see them through a child's eyes. You'll have a blast!!!!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder
    That sounds really great! I am still a good ways a way from starting a family but once I do I can't wait to take my kid(s) for the first time and see how much they love it. I know you will have a great time. Take it easy and show them the World! :0)

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder
    I'm sure you thought of this but I guess I will say a little more...sometimes those little details (the ones Lou talks about all the time) are the coolest ones. Try pointing them out. Give her the opportunity to pick out what she wants to do first and help he make decisions. You guys are gonna have a great time!

It's going to be a little bit hard letting her decide what to do first, since she doesn't know where we're going or really anything about WDW. But yes, we will be including her in as much of the decision making processes as possible. I can't wait to see her reactions to everything. I've met her a couple times before, and she's really a great, very sweet kid. This is going to be awesome.

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    DLR and WDW, you're on a roll!! Have a blast!
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    That sounds like it will be alot of fun, I love going with first timers. I think a good way to prepare her for it is to get her Lou's trivia book and a good guide book (I like the passporter). This should help her in deciding the top 10 things she wants to do in the parks. I wouldn't worry about the Port Royal pool so much, there are alot of quiet pools and if you are going to take a day off from the parks to relax at a resort I would do it at the Beach Club, they have a great pool there.
    OK, never mind the book suggestion I just read your post again and realized that Nyomi doesn't know about the trip at all, I just thought she didn't know about the Wishes cruise. Some things she may enjoy (besides the parks)is an ice cream at Beaches and Cream or maybe a round of mini golf or just a walk on the Boardwalk. It sounds like a great trip so you can't miss.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Yup, Beach Club is where I'm expecting to spend our relaxing day - it's also right in the middle of the week, so hopefully that will help us prevent running into the "wall". Actually I do have one question about that. When we check out of Pop on the 13th, I'm planning on letting Disney transport our luggage to Beach Club for us, and then spending the morning hours in Epcot, walking over to BC, and checking in there. Since official check-in time at the Villas is 4pm, will we be able to use Stormalong Bay before we check in? I know when you check in at a resort before your room is ready, they give you your key to the world card and everything, so I'm guessing the answer is "yes".

More importantly, however: how would you propose we get our swim gear to use the pool? Right now, I'm thinking of packing a small carry-on sized bag at Pop that just has our swimsuits and such, and letting Disney transport everything else. Then when we get to Epcot, put the bag in a locker until we're ready to leave to Beach Club. Then check in at Beach Club, and change into our swimming stuff (there's changing rooms by the pool, right?) and use the pool. Will that work? Am I over- or under-analyzing?

Basically I'm just hoping we don't have to wait until 4pm on a hot mid-August day to be able to use what Lou asserts is the Best of the Best resort pool on Disney property. :-)