Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss May Vacation in the Vacation Planning forums; Hey all. I was wondering if anyone can give me tips about a May Disney Vacation. I am leaving for Disney on May 14th and would like to know what ...
    LordQx4 is offline B-Ticket Holder

May Vacation

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone can give me tips about a May Disney Vacation. I am leaving for Disney on May 14th and would like to know what the crowds, lines, weather, etc is like. Any information would be great.
    Disney Stock Holder, D23 Member, DVC Member, AP Holder

Yensid78 is offline A-Ticket holder
    We go the same time every year (although we will be taking a break this year) in May. Around the same time you are going. We find this is a great time to go because it is between spring break and memorial day weekend. you will find the closer you get to memorial day weekend, the more crowded it would get. Also, check to see when Stars Wars weekends is (it is usaully towards the end of the month) cause that can really draw in the crowds to MGM. (I mean Disney Hollywood Studios)If you are staying on property I would suggest utilizing the morning extra hours and then after a few hours, head over to whatever park just had their evening extra hours the night before. using this technique you tend to miss a lot of the crowds that are there. allearsnet.com has a LOT of information about crowds and what parks are busier on different days etc.

Also, don't know if you are flying or even gotten your tickets already but find Thursday to be a good day with less hassle at teh airport and usually cheaper. We normally fly southwest.

Weather is great this time of year. Really the only time of year I usually do not enjoy FL as much are july-aug.

BTW, one of my favorite things to do is visit MK on an extra magic evening night and before we leave, we take a monorail ride over to EPCOT. Because it is so late, EPCOT will be closed and empty but all of the lights are on. We ask to sit in teh front so as the monorail moves through the park, we get a birds eye view of everything. It really is a nice ride.

I hope you have a good time.
    Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow

Thanks for the update. I will have to find out about the star wars thing. I already booked the flight and room (staying Port Orleans French Quarter). Last year I went at the end of August and it wasnt bad. I was hoping that at the time I am going this year I will avoid all the school kids as they should still be in school. Thanks for the tips I will be sure to hit the parks on the days they open earlier and stay open later.

Star Wars weekend is in June this year. I'll be there May 1-5th. Not sure where I'm staying yet.

I have a friend that goes around that time of year and I know she really enjoys it.

Have fun!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

DisGrad is offline A-Ticket holder
    We went in May last year, and it really is not bad. The schools are still in session, so it's mostly families with young children, Europeans, and older people. We only had a considerable wait on Jungle Cruise, Rock N' Rollercoaster, and Soarin' (of course). The line at Test Track wasn't bad, but if you want to really skip it, go to TT and MS after Future World is "closed." The major rides are still open after this time. It's hot, but definitely not as bad as June. The Pirate and Princess Parties have been extended to the weekends May (I just found this out). I never had to use Fastpass on our trip.
    Have fun at Port Orleans. The last time we stayed on property, we stayed there (it was Dixie Landings back then). However, Disney is not very good about accommodating a family of 5.
    We're hoping, maybe, to go that week in May. Maybe we'll run into each other and not even know it!

Thanks for all the help. I was a little worried about going in May as it does start to get hot down in Fl and was unsure how crowded the parks would be. You have hightened my excitement (not that it needed to get any higher) to go. I dont mind waiting a while on lines, I just dont want the 3-6 hour wait time that I have experienced in the past. With the extended Disney hours and the tips you have given me, I don't think my trip could be any less then magical once again. I actually can not wait to do that I hope you have fun on your trip as well and who knows, you might be right, we may end up running into each other.

Does anyone know about the "Meet the Character" lines during this time? This time when I go I am going to try to meet the characters and get autographs and pictures. I have never really done that before and since I am the biggest kid ever, it should be fun. I created scrap books with pictures from all the times I went there but I dont have very many pictures with characters and would like to try to do that this time along with the attractions. Do I have enough time do do both (May14th will be checking in at around 2 and leaving the morning of the 21st)

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by LordQx4 View Post
    Thanks for all the help. I was a little worried about going in May as it does start to get hot down in Fl and was unsure how crowded the parks would be.
    As a former Floridian, and fellow May vacationer (we'll be there the week before you) I can tell you that the weather/temperatures are actually very nice that time of year. May is when it has just started to get warm but it's not reached the insane humidity levels yet. Very comfortable. Some nights in May you might even need a sweatshirt. You'll have a blast if you're used to going in August. MUCH different experience in May! Enjoy!!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Excellent. Will it still be warm enough for the water parks? I like to do the water parks in the morning (especially with the extra early hour) and finish them by 10 -11 when it is really crowded. After done with the water park I will usually go to the park that has the evening extra hour. This way I get both parks done. I love the water parks and hope that it will be warm enough in the morning to enjoy them.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Excellent. Will it still be warm enough for the water parks? I like to do the water parks in the morning (especially with the extra early hour) and finish them by 10 -11 when it is really crowded. After done with the water park I will usually go to the park that has the evening extra hour. This way I get both parks done. I love the water parks and hope that it will be warm enough in the morning to enjoy them.
    Oh yeah definitely warm enough for the water parks. That starts in late March in my opinion. Like I said the temps are indeed up there but it's not until July/August that that horrid humidity factor kicks in that can make for miserable days at the parks (imho).
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Mid May is a great time to go in terms of crowds and weather. I really enjoyed the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot.

We last did mid May in 2006 over Mother's Day weekend to celebrate a friend's milestone birthday and our delayed wedding anniversary celebration. We thoroughly enjoyed our day at Typhoon Lagoon. We followed that up with an anniversary dinner at California Grill. What a fun day that was...
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Excellent. This seems to me, as it will be better then the other times I went, in terms of crowds. I am sure there are better times to go during the year. Typhoon Lagoon is the better of the two water parks in my opinion and that is only because I like the theme and the wave pool there. I am happy to hear that you were able to go there and it was enjoyable.

wdwforever is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I went last May 4-8. The weather was very mild for the first days, but on the 7 it was unusually cool and windy. My family all had to buy jackets that night to watch Fantasmic. Unfortunately the wierd weather took its toll on me and I was sick the next day. Didn't make it to Epcot. Worst thing ever to happen to me at WDW But crowds were low and I had a great time, while I was well. The Flower and Garden Festival was still going on at Epcot, which I got to see very little of.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I'm glad a couple of posts mentioned the Flower and Garden Festival. I was at WDW last May from the 1st to the 8th, a little earlier than when you plan to go. Great weather. Crowd levels were good. Do check out the free concerts at Epcot for the F&G Festival and a walk through the rose garden is a must.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Hey all. I was wondering if anyone can give me tips about a May Disney Vacation. I am leaving for Disney on May 14th and would like to know what the crowds, lines, weather, etc is like. Any information would be great.

That's when we are going. We will stay off property(yikes but it was free) for 2 nights then one night at POFQ. Can't wait.

Last time I went in May was way before children so it has been a while. I do remember the weather being fairly nice with nearly daily showers but nothing too difficult to hands.

I hope you have a great trip!

Thank you guys for all the input. I am putting together an list of everything I want to do and see. I will definately be adding the Rose garden at Epcot to my list. I also have a list of restaurants to go to. Thanks to the Disney meal plan I will be able to eat at all the restaurants that I want. So far I have a lot listed from Epcot, like The Garden Grill, The Biergarten (which is a must, I go there every visit to Disney), The Rose 'N Crown, Tappenito Japan, and the Coral Reef. THe Bistro De Paris is currently under construction so I am hoping to go there too (if they finish). The other restaurants I plan to go to are The Sci Fi Theater in Disney Hollywood Studios, Tuskerhaus for breakfast, Liberty Tree, and Cinderella's Royal Table, and the Brown Derby. If anyone has any other recommendations to any restaurants please let me know. I have eaten at a lot of places in the past, but there are so many I haven't tried yet.

I am so glad to see that so many of you are going in May. Like DisGrad said, who knows we all may run into each other and not even know it. I look forward to hearing more of your ideas and information as it is a big help. I have taken a lot of your ideas and have made them a priority on my must see list. Thanks again and I hope all who are going enjoy thier stay at WDW (having a bad time at WDW is very hard!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast