Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Renting a boat to view IllumiNations: ROE in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi all! I was just wondering - have any of you ever rented the Friendship or a pontoon boat for a waterfront viewing of IllumiNations: ROE? Is it worth it, ...
    Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!

Renting a boat to view IllumiNations: ROE

Hi all!

I was just wondering - have any of you ever rented the Friendship or a pontoon boat for a waterfront viewing of IllumiNations: ROE? Is it worth it, granted what it costs? I'm tempted to try to do this for my upcoming November trip, but I thought I'd see if you guys had any thoughts to offer.

Thanks!

Smack81

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I've never taken the cruise but I've heard that while the boat and the whole "scene" is lovely the viewing itself isn't the greatest. Many feel the boats are just not situated right to get the whole experience. Here is a link for the pricing and other info.......IllumiNations Cruises
    Last edited by GIOny; 02-27-2008 at 03:44 PM.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

BethD is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I know the Epcot Illuminations cruise would be different but I wanted to mention that we rented one for a Magic Kingdom Fireworks Cruise in October and had a WONDERFUL time. If you have a large group the price really is not that bad. We only had 5 people on our boat and I still thought it was worth it for a special treat.
    Beth D

beth@MouseFanTravel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Quote Originally Posted by BethD View Post
    I know the Epcot Illuminations cruise would be different but I wanted to mention that we rented one for a Magic Kingdom Fireworks Cruise in October and had a WONDERFUL time. If you have a large group the price really is not that bad. We only had 5 people on our boat and I still thought it was worth it for a special treat.
    Beth,

I didn't know you could take this kind of cruise. Where do you watch the fireworks from?

Thanks!

Smack81

Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    I've never taken the cruise but I've heard that while the boat and the whole "scene" is lovely the viewing itself isn't the greatest. Many feel the boats are just not situated right to get the whole experience. Here is a link for the pricing and other info.......IllumiNations Cruises
    Glony,

Thanks for the info.

Smack81

BethD is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Smack81 View Post
    Beth,

I didn't know you could take this kind of cruise. Where do you watch the fireworks from?

Thanks!

Smack81
    We got our boat at the Polynesian (you can also choose one of the other Magic Kingdom resorts). They took us out and gave us a little tour of the lake. The guide was great and told us a little history and hidden secrets. When it was time for the fireworks to start they positioned us on the lagoon right in front of the Magic Kingdom. The music played from the boats and the fireworks were of coarse Magical. It was so much fun! They also provided us with snacks and we got to see the Water pageant twice. My kids thought that was great seeing that so close.
    Beth D

beth@MouseFanTravel.com

We got our boat at the Polynesian (you can also choose one of the other Magic Kingdom resorts). They took us out and gave us a little tour of the lake. The guide was great and told us a little history and hidden secrets. When it was time for the fireworks to start they positioned us on the lagoon right in front of the Magic Kingdom. The music played from the boats and the fireworks were of coarse Magical. It was so much fun! They also provided us with snacks and we got to see the Water pageant twice. My kids thought that was great seeing that so close.
    Thanks Beth! I'll definitely remember this.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Beth out of curiosity, how long was this boatride and the all important question.....did they have bathrooms on board. If they are the boats I thinking of then I'm assuming they don't.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    I like the Wishes fireworks cruises better than the Illuminations cruises. The Wishes ones are amazing and TOTALLY worth the cost!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Quote Originally Posted by MayBWeRMnt2B View Post
    I like the Wishes fireworks cruises better than the Illuminations cruises. The Wishes ones are amazing and TOTALLY worth the cost!
    Wow. I'm so glad I started this thread 'cause I didn't even know you could take a Wishes cruise. I'll definitely have to remember this.

Quote Originally Posted by MayBWeRMnt2B View Post
    Do you know how many people can fit in a boat?

SuzyQ is offline C-Ticket Holder
    We have rented the pontoon's for the Illuminations cruise before as well.

They hold ten adults and pick you up at the Yacht Club dock. You set off at 8:30 for a cruise around Crescent Lake - down by Hollywood Studios and then back around over to the Epcot for Illuminations at 9.

They park the boats under the bridge between France and UK. No, it is not the best view, but it is a great spot none-the-less and you can beat the comfort of sitting on a boat, under a blanket and enjoy friends and refreshments.

Though we would not be able to afford to do it on every trip, we do try to take advantage of it when we go down for special trips with extended family.

Overall, both MK and Epcot pontoons run about an hour. Often times, the captain can really make the trip memorable. On our last one, he gave us all kinds of fun tidbits on the whole concept of Illuminations ROE and the 'storyline'. It was really entertaining!

Quick note: be on the phone right when reservations open up at 90 days. They usually book up that same day. (407-WDW-PLAY)
    Suzy
    suzy@mousefantravel.com

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smack81 View Post
    Do you know how many people can fit in a boat?
    10 guests per boat maximum
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

I'm thinking of doing the Wishes cruise for my dad's 70th b-day in December. I'm glad I read this before starting a new thread.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com