Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss AP renewal question in the Vacation Planning forums; My AP expires in January 10th, 2009. Can I renew it in December? And if I do what will my new expiration date be? The December date or my original ...

AP renewal question

My AP expires in January 10th, 2009. Can I renew it in December? And if I do what will my new expiration date be? The December date or my original January date?

Thanks!

Lori

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    They should contact you well ahead of your expiration, at least a month. I'm sure you can renew it before they contact you. Log into the passholder section of disneyworld.com and they should have all the info you need, including a link to renew online.

The expiration date of your new AP will be one year from the expiration date of your old pass, no matter when you renew. This is not how it used to be, when a renewal pass didn't expire until one year after the first use. So for example if you renewed your pass in December, and your old one expired in January, and you didn't go back again until March at which point you used your new pass for the first time, then your new expiration date would have become the following March instead of the following January.

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by tizzo View Post
    They should contact you well ahead of your expiration, at least a month. I'm sure you can renew it before they contact you. Log into the passholder section of disneyworld.com and they should have all the info you need, including a link to renew online.

The expiration date of your new AP will be one year from the expiration date of your old pass, no matter when you renew. This is not how it used to be, when a renewal pass didn't expire until one year after the first use. So for example if you renewed your pass in December, and your old one expired in January, and you didn't go back again until March at which point you used your new pass for the first time, then your new expiration date would have become the following March instead of the following January.
    I attempted to do this with my annual that expired on May 10 this year but wasn't returning till Nov/Dec this year. I was told by guest services that it would apply from the May 11th the day after my pass expired . I explicably asked this because it was a 40.00 discount and thought it wouldn't be worth it because I'd lose 5 months of the pass. She suggested I wait till I returned. I know another website offers this same advice. If its not so I just wasted 80.00 for my 2 annual passes for misinformation.

Ok, so if I renew in December my pass won't expire until Jan. 2010 then, right?

My expiration on my current pass is Jan. 10,2009. (my birthday :-))

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmntrans View Post
    I attempted to do this with my annual that expired on May 10 this year but wasn't returning till Nov/Dec this year. I was told by guest services that it would apply from the May 11th the day after my pass expired . I explicably asked this because it was a 40.00 discount and thought it wouldn't be worth it because I'd lose 5 months of the pass. She suggested I wait till I returned. I know another website offers this same advice. If its not so I just wasted 80.00 for my 2 annual passes for misinformation.
    That's exactly what tizzo's saying. There was a policy change a couple years ago - it USED to be the way tizzo described (your renewal expiration is one year from the date of your renewal first use), but NOW it's the way you describe (your renewal expiration is one year from the date of your original expiration).

Quote Originally Posted by Tmntrans View Post
    No, you did the right thing. Like I said, they USED to let the passes expire one year from the first use, but they don't anymore. Renewals now expire one year from the date that the original pass required. So if you'd renewed your pass the new one would have expired on May 10 the following year.

Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by lorilovestigger View Post
    Ok, so if I renew in December my pass won't expire until Jan. 2010 then, right?

My expiration on my current pass is Jan. 10,2009. (my birthday :-))

Yes, that's correct.

Cindygarf is offline A-Ticket holder
    My advice would be to look at the pros and cons of doing the renewal. If you plan to go in January or sometime in the beginning of the year, saving the little bit of money to renew may be worth it, but if you're not going until later in the year, it's probably not worth it to renew then.

My pass expired in April. We aren't going until October, so it wasn't worth it to renew and save a little when we'd be wasting all those months inbetween with not using it. We normally bit the bullet and just buy a new annual pass rather than renewing since we always have a space of a bunch of months between renewal and our next trip.

Just something to think about....
    - Cindy
    Peace, and.
    Visited at least once per year since 1987.

My pass expires Jan. 10th-which is marathon weekend and I"ll will be there for that. So I need to renew either in Dec. or when I arrive in January.

But that is a good point Cindy.

Cindygarf is offline A-Ticket holder
    Are you running in it?
    - Cindy
    Peace, and.
    Visited at least once per year since 1987.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Almost everyone I've talked to has advised me that unless I plan on going shortly after my pass expires, to just let it expire and buy a new one upon my next trip. The savings isn't worth the lost usage.

Mine expires in September but we may go in October for Jersey Week/Food & Wine. I was told to just let it expire and buy a new one in October. Since we were planning on taking our big trip in 2009 in September, it would ensure our AP was still valid for that trip

A Disney vacation requires a lot of strategy even for us Annual Passholders..haha
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Cindygarf View Post
    Are you running in it?
    Running, walking, crawling....whatever it takes to get me to the finish line.

tkldisney is offline A-Ticket holder
    Mine expires July 20. I was reading info on Disney AP website for renewing. It states you can renew 30 days before or 30 days after expiration date to get the discounted price.