Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss WDW Memorial Day & Post-Memorial Day Crowds in the Vacation Planning forums; My wife had chosen the last week of this month for our next trip to WDW, but I just realized that the days she was planning on us being there ...
    Experiment_626 is offline B-Ticket Holder

WDW Memorial Day & Post-Memorial Day Crowds

My wife had chosen the last week of this month for our next trip to WDW, but I just realized that the days she was planning on us being there are Memorial Day and the two days following. How totally insane are the parks on Memorial Day proper, and how crowded are they immediately afterward? Would we be better off shifting our days so that we go that Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, rather than the day itself?

I wasn't sure how things would go if we're there that Monday. It seems that if people take the weekend to go to the parks, many of them will be traveling home that Monday. What's the scoop? We need to arrange baby-sitting and such ...

SSB

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quite frankly, I didn't the weekend or the week after Memorial Day were all that bad crowdwise. I didn't go to the MK on Memorial Day itself. I thought it was fairly manageable.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    That's good to hear Amanda since that's when we're honeymooning next year and Adam and I have been spoiled the last couple years with dead crowds in early March
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    We did the beginning of a vacation over Memorial Day a few years ago. We went to Blizzard Beach first on Memorial Day and went to the MK in the later afternoon, it was pretty darn good.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Okay, guys. I appreciate the replies. I don't think I've ever been on Memorial Day proper, though I have been on its alter ego, Labor Day, and I don't remember the crowds as being all that bad then. I think that for simplicity's sake, we'll keep the days we had selected. We'll find someplace to go, crowds or no crowds. Otherwise, we'd have to rearrange our baby-sitting (not taking the two-year-old this trip — he's out for at least a year or two) and our lodging (we're staying in Tampa with a friend).

SSB

emabee is offline Not too much longer til I'm in the World again!!!
    We always go around Memorial Day. We do NOT go to MK on that day because it's usually the most crowded park, however, Hollywood Studios was fine and I hear Epcot is good that day, too.
    http://pinefrog.com/DWT/vana.htm

Disney things I love:

The Capt'n:
    Pirates:
    Magic Kingdom:
    All things Alice:

Well, I know at least one day will involve lots of time at Downtown Disney, in the Marketplace. I wonder how it will be that day ...

SSB

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    So what about the week after? How would you rate crowds and wait times?
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    It doesn't look that bad at all. One 8 and a few 5's in there also TouringPlans.com - The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Update: Overall, crowds weren't bad. Plenty of people on the day before and on Memorial Day itself (though hardly too crowded by a long shot), but the rest of the time the crowds seemed fairly light to me. Weather was great, as well; much more mild than expected, and humidity was pretty low to boot. It was a great trip!

SSB

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    Me being from PA i though I was going to melt on many of the days! But i'm just not use to the heat! As for crowds there were alot moore ppl then when I was down in Jan last yr but managable. I spent the holiday at Ak and was suprise I only waited 20 mins for EE at lunch time. The most crowd park was Mk on Tuesday and Friday!
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century