Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Stroller Question in the Vacation Planning forums; I have been reading a couple of books about taking small children to WDW and I've seen some posts about strollers but here is my question anyway . . . ...
    aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Stroller Question

I have been reading a couple of books about taking small children to WDW and I've seen some posts about strollers but here is my question anyway . . . we do not want to rent a stroller at WDW because of reviews saying that if your child is too young you have to take pillows/blankets to prop them up or they will not be able to see anything. (I guess it is something with the way they are made). Anyway, I want to take a stroller for our then 1 year old with a toddler bench for our 4 year old to sit on when he gets tired. Has anyone done this? If so, how did it work. I know there is no way he will be able to walk around for 5 days and I am certainly not going to try to pack the baby around for 5 days. The stroller will collapse together so I should be able to take on the transportation system. Any other positives/negatives?

Thanks again!
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

princessmom17 is offline A-Ticket holder
    We've done both, rented and brought our own. I prefer bringing my own. The obvious positive is that by bringing your own you don't have the cost every day of renting a stroller and having to get in line in the morning at each park and wait to rent one. I also enjoyed bringing my own because we could zip into the park every morning, on the monorail she had her "own" seat and we could use it in the airport, which even with a 4 year old was a big plus. Those little legs get tired easily.

The big negative is even when those strollers collapse they still are somewhat cumbersome and take up space. At the end of the day when the buses and monorail start to get full, having a stroller is a problem, especially on the buses if you have to stand. Sometimes on the monorail, we had to wait for another monorail with less people so we could fit on. We found this to be a minor hassle for all the benefits though. Just a matter of preference I guess. Good luck planning your trip. It's alot of fun to stay at a hotel on the monorail system.
    2002 - Off Site
    2003 - Caribbean Beach
    2005 - Contemporary
    2007 - Contemporary
    2008 - Beach Club

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    This This what the WDW strollers look like ir this helps in any way. You can go to Deb's Unofficial Walt Disney World Vacation Information Guide - WDW Planning Guide - Walt Disney World for a full article on stroller pros, cons and costs. Have a great trip. Oh, and the single is on the left, the double on the right.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Thanks for all of the help. I think we have decided to just take our own.
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

Cindygarf is offline A-Ticket holder
    I highly recommend bringing your own. I have a 4 year old and she is a veteran of 12 trips starting when she was 9 months. Your kids will be more comfortable in their own stroller rather than the hard plastic ones and the biggest drawback of renting one is that you have to turn it in at the exit to the park. That leaves a long walk to carry two sleeping or very tired children to either the buses, the monorail or the car and then from the busstop to your hotel room. Just for that reason alone, I'd say bring your own.

It's also easier to find them in the lines of strollers outside of the rides and it gives you the additional way to transport them around the airport. I really haven't found it to be a hassle to check in at the gate at the airport and they always have our stroller ready for us within minutes of getting off the plane. Sure they are a hassle on the buses, but again, that little bit of inconvenience is worth it to have your kids comfortable and to save your back.

Another bit of advice, not sure where you are staying, but if you are one of the moderate resorts with seperate buildings and no elevators, make sure to ask for a ground floor room. Again, it's easier to just wheel your children right into the room, rather than to cart them and your stroller up the stairs.

Hope this helps!
    - Cindy
    Peace, and.
    Visited at least once per year since 1987.

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    I actually prefer the WDW strollers - they are very comfortable to push and manuever well. And i don't like to take my own stroller because of the (perhaps irrational) fear that someone will walk away with it. I went in December with my son (2.5) and two cousins (4 and 6). We got a double stroller and let the two youngest share it - we did bring blankets and pillows..because it was freazing and so they could nap. If your little one has a hard time sitting up you might bring pillows to help prop him - otherwise pillows are not necessary. When I have gone alone with my DS and rented a single stroller I would sit him up on top of the canaopy for parades etc so he could see

The nicest thing about renting is that at the end of the day you ditch the stroller and don't have to worry about schleping it on the monorail or bus. As a single mom who normally goes alone with a toddler this was a huge advantage..trying to manipulate a stroller, a diaper bag, and a kid onto a monorail crowded with stinky tired cranky people is worse than Chinese Water Torture!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    They do have a limited amount of rentals with a baby infant seat mounted in them. Not sure if the doubles have a half and half (one part infant-one part not).
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

mickeymatt is offline B-Ticket Holder
    And you do not have to turn them in to exit the park. We were there in may and in MK we justed ditched ours after fireworks and walked out.
    What we did at MK was we skipped the stroller rental when the park opened and rushed to Fantasyland. Most everything is right there close by so my 3 year old daughter didn't wear herself out. Then we went to toon town fair which opens a little later and again doesn't require much walking. (My daughter had too much energy and was too excited to sit in a stroller that time of day anyway.) So then when those little legs start to wear out you can get a stroller. Better yet go to the return line and find a park hopper that is turning one in and ask if you can borrow it. No one gets a deposit back anymore so you really don't have to turn the strollers in. You can get a stroller for free!

DancedW/Tigger is offline A-Ticket holder
    We are leaving for THE WORLD in 10 days & this is our plan (with 4, 6 & 8 year olds). We bought 2 decent strollers (with nice baskets below) for $5 each at garage sales (craigslist has good ones too) & will "dump them"/ leave them behind when we leave. The best part is that over a year ago I sold all of our strollers (4 total) for over $100.

Hi All~
    We just got back from Disney yesterday and at the last minute we decided to take our own double stroller. My plan was just to use it to get around the airport and the resort but after renting the Disney Stroller the first day, we just ended up taking our own the rest of our trip. The cost is $31/day for a double stroller which would have added a little over $150 to our trip had we used theirs each day. The Disney strollers are incredibly easy to manuever and have enough room for both kids but we decided to save our money and use our own sit/stand. This actually worked better for us as our 4 year old could hop on and off with ease. Plus, we had more storage in our underneath compartment for water bottles, mouse ears, etc.

Thanks for all your help!
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

icoobaby2 is offline A-Ticket holder

Thumbs up Re: Stroller Question

Hello friends.I want to share my experience when we have been to WDW.I think it would help some of you guys who are planning to make a trip to WDW. We took our Mickey Sun Shop 'n Drive travel system along with for our baby.Actually there were some strollers for rent but there were not so good.I would suggest you guys to have Mickey Sun Shop 'n Drive for your babies.For more details visit the link given below.