Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Where to stay? in the Vacation Planning forums; Ok here's the 411. Unless my class schedule says otherwise, I am planning on going to MouseFest (yeah!). Right now it looks like my boyfriend will be coming but my ...
    fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Question Where to stay?

Ok here's the 411. Unless my class schedule says otherwise, I am planning on going to MouseFest (yeah!).

Right now it looks like my boyfriend will be coming but my mother may be tagging along as well. Now here's where it gets tricky. While BF and I are more than willing to go the comando style when it comes to visiting the parks, my mom is a little more laid back. When I went solo last year I stayed a Pop since I knew I wasn't going to spend a lot of time in my room. I was planning on doing the same thing again this year but with my mother I don't think that will go over as well. Right now she would like to use our RCI timeshare and get a condo off property so that we can stay somewhere with enough space for the three of us and a kitchen so she can control what she eats. However that would mean staying off property and using a rental car. I really love staying on property due to the convenience and the added perks (ie EMH) So here's what we need to decide:

-Stay on property, not a value but bump it up to a mod so the room is slighty nicer

-Stay off property in a condo with lots more room and a kitchen, but no perks and if BF and I wanna run off to one of the parks and mom wants to go somewhere else, transportation could be an issue

-OR, DVC points rentals which I know nothing about. Cost? Which resorts could we stay at? Is there a minimum stay required?

I will happily take any suggestions and/or comments. Thanks!

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    So with RCI, it is a week stay? Is that correct or do you have it on the point system?
    If it is points, then maybe split up the time? But if it's the week stay, that won't work.

Does Mom want to be with you all the time? If you stay on property, maybe you can get up early, she can rest and relax then meet up for lunch? At least that way, if she is tired and doesn't want to do EMH, she can go back to the hotel with no problems.

I will be having this issue as we begin to use our timeshare for the next few trips. I like the convenience of staying on property but it will be nice to have a comfortable place to stay next time. But I will always want to stay on property whenever possible. It will just be more interesting with being off property but I think we can adjust since we will be able to go more often.

I have no idea about the DVC points and all.

Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs View Post
    So with RCI, it is a week stay? Is that correct or do you have it on the point system?
    If it is points, then maybe split up the time? But if it's the week stay, that won't work.
    The RCI is a week's stay so we wouldn't be able to split it up.

Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs View Post
    Does Mom want to be with you all the time? If you stay on property, maybe you can get up early, she can rest and relax then meet up for lunch? At least that way, if she is tired and doesn't want to do EMH, she can go back to the hotel with no problems.
    That's the thing, I know my mom won't want to be with us all the time. Which is why I'd prefer to stay on property, so if she wants to go back and rest she can and we have Disney transportation to get us around. However I know she likes the space a condo would provide plus the kitchen (she's on Weight Watchers and really likes to be able to go grocery shopping and can control what she eats). The good thing is, we have time on our side since we won't be able to book anything till mid-August, which is why I wanted to feel out our options now so when we are ready to book we know what's what.

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    There was a great explanation of DVC points, and I think it was on all ears net.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    At first blush I'd say if it your trip (& BF) and Mom is Tagging along, you get to pick. As a Mom of a college student, if Mom is Tagging along who is paying for the hotel and also who's time share is it? If you and BF are foot'n the bill I'd sure go for staying on site, even a mini suite at All Star. We generally stay at Moderates, they are still tight but a nicer decor.

My son met his GF at the college program. Love the girl yet, I guess I cannot wrap my brain around sharing a room with my son and his girlfriend.

Well the trip is my idea, in fact it was originally going to be another solo trip for me like last year. But now I have BF and he's NEVER been to WDW so I thought it would be fun for the two of us to go. But now my mom has decided that she wants to go too. If we do end up staying on property in a hotel, we'd have 2 rooms (me and mom in one and BF in another). If we do a condo, we'd have multiple bedrooms so we'd all have our own space. My biggest thing is how we'd work out visiting the parks. If we're off property and BF and I want to park hop all day from sun up to sun down and mom doesn't, we'll either need more than one rental car or someone would be having to drive back and forth from the condo to the parks to pick us up. The nice thing about staying on property is we have Disney transportation at our disposal. What are the All-Star suites like? I've heard people talk about them, but I don't really know anything about Disney resort suites, just regular rooms and then the DVC rooms.