Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Christmas at Disney in the Vacation Planning forums; We are lucky enough to Finally be able to make it to WDW at Christmas. Other than Mickey's Christmas party is there any other must dos while we are there. ...
  1. #1
    jacketsfan683's Avatar
    jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    572

    Christmas at Disney

    We are lucky enough to Finally be able to make it to WDW at Christmas. Other than Mickey's Christmas party is there any other must dos while we are there. The dates are Dec 17th and we leave on Christmas day?
    Eric


  2. #2
    disneyfanatic101's Avatar
    disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hoosier State
    Posts
    9,268
    I LOVE going to WDW for Christmas (I LOVE Christmas and it is really the only time we can go.) Hopefully we can go. Anyway, try to see the Candlelight Processional at Epcot. You will love this if you like the telling of the story of Jesus and religious Christmas carols. Look at the WDW website or on Lou's news page to see who the narrator is going to be. Also see the lighting of Cinderella Castle. When I saw it I got goosebumps. It was really magical. Maybe plan one day to go resort hopping to see the gingerbread houses. The Grand Floridian has the HUGE one! If you have any more questions feel free to ask or PM me! Enjoy your trip!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

  3. #3
    disneydame2004's Avatar
    disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    5,677
    The Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party has its last dates on Dec. 18 & 19. After that, the parade and all the entertainment are available during the regular Magic Kingdom park hours. You can save yourself quite a bit of money if you wait until the 20th!

    The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios is fun to see. Try to be there before the lights turn on, find a spot on the main street, and wait for the lighting. It's pretty neat.

    Epcot's Candlelight Processional is beautiful, and Epcot also features Storytellers from around the world, which are very enjoyable, and a nightly tree lighting.

    Animal Kingdom's parade becomes Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade, a fun twist on the holidays.

    Happy Planning!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator




    Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

  4. #4
    mini-V's Avatar
    mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mickey's backyard
    Posts
    8,966
    Don't forget the Osborne Christmas Light Spectacular - or whatever name they give it - in DHS. I could have stayed there for a few hours just watching the lights and listening to the various musical selections that accompany the lights. We saw it for the first time this year. DH was impressed even before the lights danced to the music.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

    Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

  5. #5
    jacketsfan683's Avatar
    jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    The Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party has its last dates on Dec. 18 & 19. After that, the parade and all the entertainment are available during the regular Magic Kingdom park hours. You can save yourself quite a bit of money if you wait until the 20th
    We bought annual passes (we are leaving in about 18 days to head to WDW) so money for park tickets doesn't matter.
    Eric


  6. #6
    Love That Duck's Avatar
    Love That Duck is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    288
    December is my favorite time of year at WDW There is SO much to experience.

    As already mentioned the Christmas Parade at MK, Holidays Around The World and Candlelight Processional at EPCOT World Showcase, and Osborne Spectacle of Lights at DHS are definite must dos. I tend to agree with DisneyDame2004 - I would save the $$$ on MVMCP and wait the 2-3 days to see the parade, etc.

    I always catch at least one nigthly Tree Lighting Ceremony at EPCOT. You should also try and visit at least a couple of the deluxe resorts for their holiday decorations. You will also be there for the caroling events at the resorts, I would defnitely try and catch one of those.

    Downtown Disney is also beautiful at the Holidays with events of it's own that late in the month.

    It's just beautiful at WDW in December. Enjoy planning, anticipating, and ,especially, enjoy your trip! Be sure to post a trip report and share your experience.

    Have fun!
    ~Jerry & Nancy~

    Sept. 3 - Sunrise WEDDING Vow Renewal then Drive to WDW
    Sept. 4-16, 2011 - WDW HONEYMOON:
    Sept 4-9 - Pop Century
    Sept. 10-16 - Caribbean Beach

  7. #7
    bety's Avatar
    bety is offline Disney World Beast
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,539
    I agree with everyone else- December is the best time to go to Disney!
    I went last December and I'm going again this year.
    I don't know if it's happening again this year, but last year the Harlem Gospel Choir performed in the Hollywood Studios. It was such a great show! If they come again this year, you must see them. They sing carols and dance around and it feels like church.
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music


  8. #8
    Love That Duck's Avatar
    Love That Duck is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by bety View Post
    I agree with everyone else- December is the best time to go to Disney!
    I went last December and I'm going again this year.
    I don't know if it's happening again this year, but last year the Harlem Gospel Choir performed in the Hollywood Studios. It was such a great show! If they come again this year, you must see them. They sing carols and dance around and it feels like church.
    I forgot about the Harlem Gospel Choir! I haven't been to WDW in Dec. since 2005 (I'll be back year) but I have dear friends in Orlando who LOVED LOVED LOVED Harlem Gospel Choir. I also hope WDW brings them back again.
    ~Jerry & Nancy~

    Sept. 3 - Sunrise WEDDING Vow Renewal then Drive to WDW
    Sept. 4-16, 2011 - WDW HONEYMOON:
    Sept 4-9 - Pop Century
    Sept. 10-16 - Caribbean Beach

  9. #9
    vals99 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3
    We go every year for to 2 weeks before Christmas, and we love it!

    I always loved Christmas before but OMG it is fabulous there!!!!! The Osbourne family lights were my favourite. I could have stayed for hours too!!!!

  10. #10
    Mickey's#1Fan's Avatar
    Mickey's#1Fan is offline Ready to go back to the World!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts... not close enough to the world :(
    Posts
    563
    LOVE WDW at christmas!!! Osbourne family lights are a must see! and you cant go wrong with MVMCP! also at EPCOT along with the tree lighting i would reccomend visiting each country and listening to the different versions of Santa Clause from around the world they are very unique and interesting! also at DTD some carolers (sp) walk around and will sing right next to your table if you are ever outside! makes you feel like all you need is a snowfall!
    Jennah
    Remember the MAGIC
    "a dream can be a dream come true with just that spark in me and you!"
    "in the big blue world...."
    "because i'm a lady... thats why"
    "it's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow!""Beware of hitch hiking ghosts!!"
    "it's hard to be cool when your dad is goofy!"

    "please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated safely inside the theater safely"- dr. nigel channing imagination institute


    check...check...check...check...applause- four for a dollar


    WDW
    Trips: '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04
    '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12

  11. #11
    tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by jacketsfan683 View Post
    We bought annual passes (we are leaving in about 18 days to head to WDW) so money for park tickets doesn't matter.
    Just so you know, the AP does NOT get you into the park for MVMCP. You get a pretty good discount if you buy in advance, but it's still something like $35 per adult to get in.

    If you were buying a park ticket, you'd pay full price to get into MK til about 6PM on nights that they run the Christmas Party. If you want to also attend the Christmas party, you have to leave, and pay to get back in. With the AP you get admission on those days til they close at 6PM, but you still have to leave and pay to come back in for the Christmas party.

    Among the things special about the Christmas party are a special parade and special fireworks that are different from what is normally available. Disney usually runs these on non-party dates towards the end of the run of any of the hard-ticketed events, such as the Halloween and Christmas party. So if you don't want to pay separate admission for the party, you can still get some of the extras by going on one of these non-party dates when Disney is offering the normally party-specific entertainment. So what the original poster was recommending is relevant even though you have APs, because as I said the AP doesn't get you into the party itself, but it will let you see the special party entertainment if you go on one of the dates when it is available to general admission guests.

    I hope I have made things less, not more, confusing!

  12. #12
    disneyfanatic101's Avatar
    disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hoosier State
    Posts
    9,268
    Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    Don't forget the Osborne Christmas Light Spectacular - or whatever name they give it - in DHS. I could have stayed there for a few hours just watching the lights and listening to the various musical selections that accompany the lights. We saw it for the first time this year. DH was impressed even before the lights danced to the music.
    I TOTALLY forgot about that! DEFIANTLY SEE THIS!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

  13. #13
    jacketsfan683's Avatar
    jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by tizzo View Post
    Just so you know, the AP does NOT get you into the park for MVMCP. You get a pretty good discount if you buy in advance, but it's still something like $35 per adult to get in.

    If you were buying a park ticket, you'd pay full price to get into MK til about 6PM on nights that they run the Christmas Party. If you want to also attend the Christmas party, you have to leave, and pay to get back in. With the AP you get admission on those days til they close at 6PM, but you still have to leave and pay to come back in for the Christmas party.

    Among the things special about the Christmas party are a special parade and special fireworks that are different from what is normally available. Disney usually runs these on non-party dates towards the end of the run of any of the hard-ticketed events, such as the Halloween and Christmas party. So if you don't want to pay separate admission for the party, you can still get some of the extras by going on one of these non-party dates when Disney is offering the normally party-specific entertainment. So what the original poster was recommending is relevant even though you have APs, because as I said the AP doesn't get you into the party itself, but it will let you see the special party entertainment if you go on one of the dates when it is available to general admission guests.

    I hope I have made things less, not more, confusing!

    I see thanks for the heads up. I am sure will will be purchasing tix for MVMCP I am told it is a can't miss.
    Eric


  14. #14
    jacketsfan683's Avatar
    jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    572
    With all the stuff to do I hope we have enough days. LOL
    Eric


  15. #15
    Spodie's Avatar
    Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    590
    Wow - just reading this is getting me really pumped for my first Christmas visit to WDW! Does anyone know what are the park hours like during this time, including Extra Magic Hours? I know that they're probably not open as late as they are in the summer months, so I was just curious...
    ~Ashleigh









Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •