Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Saving $ on food at Magic Kingdom in the Vacation Planning forums; I have 3 girls and my wife and I like to save cash whenever we can. As most of you know the Di$ney food is ridiculously expensive and if your ...
    elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Saving $ on food at Magic Kingdom

I have 3 girls and my wife and I like to save cash whenever we can. As most of you know the Di$ney food is ridiculously expensive and if your kids are anything like mine much of their meal goes to waste. So, we bring our own lunch when we go to the Magic Kingdom. We use a soft-sided cooler that looks like a diaper bag. It has sandwiches, chips, fruit, juice boxes etc. When the kiddies are hungry we herd them onto the train that circles the park and it's lunchtime. It usually doesn't take more than 1 lap to finish but since the kids are stuck on a train they can't wander away. They are focused on eating and it's kind of a cool experience anyway (better than a crowded fast food restaurant IMO. I hope that helps someone. Now lets hear some other cost-cutting tips!

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    My DH and I always shared food. We never bought more than one lunch/dinner (Unless it was paid for off of our Disney Honeymoon Registry) and shared. Plus glasses of Ice water are always free!
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Out of curiosity, are we "allowed" to bring food into WDW? They check bags at the gate so they'd notice that the diaper bag is actually a cooler full of food, wouldn't they? Also, is eating on board the train allowed? Again, just wondering here.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    The security check upon park entry has seen our food and made no comment. I don't know if eating on the train is permitted but it's set up so no conductor can see you once it's moving. We don't leave anything behind and there are plenty of trash cans at each station for when we're through.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    You are allowed to bring food into the parks ,within reason of course.They dont want you having a picnic on the lawn of Cindy's Castle. No rolling coolers, or any above a certain size (check allears for the size limit) No glass containers (baby food jars exception) Metal I am not sure about. We always take snacks in for the brat and a quick breakfast sandwich since we are always running late getting to the parks for open. Makes a good brunch......ride a few rides for an hour or 2 then take a break and eat.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I regularly will bring myself a soft, collapsing lunch box with a couple sandwiches, a couple granola bars, maybe a piece of fruit or something, and a bottle of water to use and re-use throughout my day at the park. Like Vixen indicated, Disney has no problem with you bringing food into the park... just not like massive coolers, glass bottles (which can break and be dangerous), or your own alcohol (I've seen guests with their own beer turned away at the checkpoint and told to return it to their car before they would be allowed in). Other than that you should be ok to bring your own food.

Now as for eating on the train, I'm not certain if that's a "no eating" attraction or not... I'll have to check that out. But if it's not against the rules, I really like the idea of using it as a moving snack stop. As one of my favorite attractions that I ride on nearly every one of my trips just for the nostalgia and scenic purposes, I think it's a great idea to use the WDW Rail Road as a chance to stop and have a bite to eat. Great idea!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    We get the refillable water things and carry a few bags of goldfish, pretzels and nut mix (usually macadamia, walnut, brazil, pecan and a few peanuts). Never know when the child will be hungry and these are easy, light nutritous. Then we grab Mickey heads, because, well, because.... they are there, I guess.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    how strange is that Chris...we take the exact same snacks! Goldfish crackers, Trail Mix and Pretzel Sticks. It works perfectly!
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

HdnMickeyGrl is offline ...I could tell his 'inner Pooh' was laughing.
    I'm certain that you can't eat on the train. My mother and I boarded the train with a popcorn bucket and we were told by the conductor that we couldn't eat it on the train. Now maybe that's not the official policy because I don't think they make announcements but she told us not to eat.

As for bringing food in, that's fine. Disney really doesn't care. We bring snacks in every time and we still end up buying pretzels, muffins, etc... Disney knows it's not gonna stop everyone from eating there.
    - Jennifer

"Ooo...I think my bunny slippers just ran for cover..." - Mushu

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    They do make the announcement. No eating, drinking, nor smoking on the train. I heard it just this past Saturday.

Other ways to cut down on Disney food costs, that don't involve shopping and cooking elsewhere...

* At the counter service locations, all the food is available alá carte, even though they're only listed in combo meals. Just ask the CM for a sandwhich without the fries, for example.

* Order a double cheeseburger and an extra bun, and give each of your kids one hamburger.

* If you're going to do a table service and a counter service in one day (and you're not on the DDP), do table service for lunch, counter for dinner. Counter service prices are constant through the day. Table service is more expensive for dinner.

* Specifically ask for a *cup* of water, not bottled water. Cups of water are free. Bottles are ~$2.00.

* Bring a packet of the single-serving iced tea or crystal light mixes, and refill your bottles at the water fountains, rather than buying drinks every few hours.

Hoep that helps!

Great tips everybody, Mr. Itty -props to you, those were really helpful.

I noticed when we were there that the portions were so large that my DD and I could share a counter service chicken strip meal, both be really full still have fries for the birds, I mean, trash cans. Check out portions sizes at Allears, and read menus, so you can locate foods that will be eaten, prices that are comfy to you and check meal size in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by StarsNStripes View Post
    how strange is that Chris...we take the exact same snacks! Goldfish crackers, Trail Mix and Pretzel Sticks. It works perfectly!
    Great minds think a like. Those are just the best bang for the buck and carry weight.

I heartpeterpan is offline "Just Keep Swimming"
    In the past my mom would pack those uncrustable PB&J sandwiches cause they are really nice compact sized and easy to pack. We also do the goldfish and trail mix ect. Most the time as far as buying park food and getting your moneys worth i noticed when i went with my husband and it was coming out of our pocket we would do simple things like for lunch we would do a turkey leg and pretzel and share a coke. For breakfast we would always eat something at our hotel to cut down the cost and sharing food is always the best way to go cause if you finish it and your still hungry just get something else and at least you didnt get to much and not eat it all.
    Disney Family Vacation 2006 -POP Century

Disney Honeymoon 2007- Dolphin

Disney Graduation/Anniversary Celebration 2010 Caribbean Beach

In response to the naysayers: Technically, maybe eating on the train isn't allowed...but it's a victimless crime!!! If you're not a slob and don't leave garbage behind who's the wiser? Is Mickey gonna be P***ed? Maybe. But I can live with that after spending $75 to get in. Once the train is rollin' no one is gonna tell you to put your food away so if you can live with the guilt; you're good to go. Enjoy the ride!
    Last edited by elvistelth; 08-20-2008 at 09:04 PM.

FVRacerShawny is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm a AP and went to all 4 Star Wars Weekends. For lunch, I'd get in the car and go to the Hess station at the exit to DHS and get a .99 hot dog and a 1.29 44 oz Coke. Might not be for everyone, but I'd rather spend money on Disney pins than Disney food.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast