Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Thanksgiving 2009 in the Vacation Planning forums; Has anyone gone over Thanksgiving? We were thinking of taking the grandkids (6, 5, 2) over Thanksgiving next year. We've done Xmas and summer and February. My son-in-law is a ...
    prshell is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanksgiving 2009

Has anyone gone over Thanksgiving? We were thinking of taking the grandkids (6, 5, 2) over Thanksgiving next year. We've done Xmas and summer and February. My son-in-law is a school teacher, so we have to go when he is off, and were thinking this might be something different.

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    We've gone over for Thanksgiving once. Nothing real special going on expect a lot of the restaurants are serving Thanksgiving meals in addition to their normal stuff. From what I remember crowd levels were moderate. (We did Animal Kingdom when we went).
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

We were thinking the crowds would be less then Xmas break, which we did a few times w/o kids. I think I remember reading that they do have the Xmas decorations up at Thanksgiving which the little ones would like a lot. Summer is hot, and my son-in-law is a band director, so the month of August is pretty much out for marching band and spring break I really would not do. So we thought Thanksgiving might be best.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    We went last Thanksgiving. Crowds weren't too bad (except at some of the bottlenecks at the Studios). We went early then took breaks and got to see everything we wanted.

We are teachers so it worked out fairly well. Kids loved going at that time with all of the decorations. It was a great time.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    We came in the Friday before Thanksgiving. The crowds thickened towards Thanksgiving and ADR were a little harder to come by for us. (We booked our trip 6 weeks out). Osborne lights were going however this year they are not officially open until after Thanksgiving. We have been there for Christmas and New Years. Thanksgiving was crowded however not nearly like Christmas, New Years.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    We're going to attempt to visit Epcot on Sunday. Keep your fingers crossed that the crowds are managable. It's been 20 years or more since my Mom has been to WDW, and I doubt that there will be too many more chances for her to visit.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

My fingers and toes are crossed for you mini-V!! I think that we're going to give Thanksgiving a closer look then. It's also my grandson's birthday, which brings another question -- He would be turning 3 next year midway through the trip, so do I need to get him park tickets for 1/2 the trip?

newdrama12 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    My guess is that you will need to buy tickets for your grandson for any days that you are there after his b-day, not for sure though.
    You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality" - Walt Disney