Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Switching resorts mid trip in the Vacation Planning forums; Can't remember if I've posted this question yet or not but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask again. We're planning on starting our honeymoon at AKL for 2 nights ...
    StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!

Switching resorts mid trip

Can't remember if I've posted this question yet or not but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask again. We're planning on starting our honeymoon at AKL for 2 nights (beginning on Sat) and then transfering over to Pop for the rest of the trip (on Monday). We're planning on using the magical express on the way home but won't need it on the way to. I've heard that Disney will transfer your luggage from one resort to another but is anyone sure how this service works? We were planning on booking hotels online but I don't really see how this is a possibility to book 2 different resorts under one bill. So 1.) Do we need to call Disney or is there a way to book this type of thing over the internet? 2.) We're planning on going to a park on Monday. Do we need to forgo that plan to oversee the transfer of our luggage or will Disney do that without us present? 3.) Is this a free service?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

envypeterpan is offline Fastpass Holder
    I actually did this on my last trip. The day you are leaving AKL and going to the parks to play, you just bring your luggage to the luggage people in the lobby and tell them what resort you are changing rooms to. When you get back from the parks at Pop, head to their luggage cart in front of the building and let them know you had your luggage transferred from AKL and they give it to you. It's extremely easy, free, and takes no more than three minutes!
    -Brent
    "It's the time of your life, so live it well" ~ a bug's life

I have a Disney book coming out in the first week of March. Stop by www.fromscreentotheme.com for more details!

KingJamesUT is offline The Hakuna Kahuna
    Thanks for asking this question. I was going to start looking into this myself. That is good to know. But what about booking online? When I made my quotes, they would only give one resort as an option. Like Natalie said, should I call Disney to book that way instead?
    Stitch Smash!

'86, '87, '88, '89, '90, '91, '94, '95, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08

'87, '89, '90, '93, '94, '99, '01, '05, '08

'92, '95, '96, '99, '04

'08

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I'd call Disney and book that way, I think it would be a lot less confusing and less room for error if you called.

I've never made reservations for two resorts on the same vacation, we've always been lucky to get a room for one night somewhere else if we made it all the way to FL in one day.
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

vDunninger is offline A-Ticket holder
    I've read a lot of posts about people not only doing this but recommending it. We tried to do this last year and the CM on the phone taking our reservations said yes, absolutely could be done and they'd be happy to move the luggage over for use (we were going to be splitting between Poly and WL). BUT, the issue then became the cost of the park tickets (we were buying room & park tickets together). According to the CM, this would be considered 2 reservations so we would be buying 2 separate room & ticket packages. As probably everyone knows, park tickets become very much less expensive the more days you stay. By making this 2 separate reservations though, you are paying the highest ticket prices twice so never get the savings of staying onsite for the length of the stay. The increased ticket prices alone make this a no-brainer not to do, so we just ended up staying at the Poly for the full 10 days (had a great vacation though). If you're not buying tickets, this is not a problem. If you are, make sure you compare the total cost of the options (i.e. splitting vs staying put) before committing.

1998, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2009 - Wilderness Lodge
    2000 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2007 - Beach Club Resort (YOMD concierge winner!)
    2008 - Polynesian Resort
    2009 - Disneyland Hotel (WWYC vacation winner!)
    2010 - Grand Floridian Resort
    2011 - DLR Paris & Disney Magic 7nts Med
    2012 - Old Key West Resort

hmm, that might work then. I was considering buying just one park ticket with the park hopper/water park options just to be able to use the dining plan. could that be considered an issue? Maybe not, since i'd combine the ticket and reservation on the more expensive room and just pay the room for the least. My hope was to surprise my fiance with at least a night at the poly and move to caribbean beach resort
    Stitch Smash!

'86, '87, '88, '89, '90, '91, '94, '95, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08

'92, '95, '96, '99, '04

'08

vDunninger is offline A-Ticket holder
    Sounds like you are in the same situation as we were (dining plan option was involved). They wouldn't let us buy the park tickets (with hopper & dining plan) on the first reservation (Poly) for the duration of our trip. We had to start again on the day we wanted to move. Much more expensive; that's why we didnt' end up doing the move. You should call yourself and ask directly though. Don't try and do this over the web.

1998, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2009 - Wilderness Lodge
    2000 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2007 - Beach Club Resort (YOMD concierge winner!)
    2008 - Polynesian Resort
    2009 - Disneyland Hotel (WWYC vacation winner!)
    2010 - Grand Floridian Resort
    2011 - DLR Paris & Disney Magic 7nts Med
    2012 - Old Key West Resort

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    This is how it was explained to me. You will having 2 reservations as each hotel has their own system. Just figure out how many tickets/days of dining you will need for each day. When in doubt- I would call Disney specifically.

You can bring your luggage down or you can leave it in the room and they will come get it. I do suggest that you do wait for them to give you the "documentnation" if you are changing resorts so your luggage doesn't get lost. We had too much luggage and DH wasn't with me and we were staying within the same hotel so we left it- along with a tip. The other time I did this, we left everything in the room with the name of the person on the reservation and a tip. Everything got there fine.

That probably wasn't a lot of help!

PlutoGirl is offline C-Ticket Holder
    We're doing this in January. We're staying one night at CR and the rest at a Ft. Wilderness Cabin. on the ticket situation. We did this:

1) room only res at CR
    2) using remaining 7 days on our 2006 purchased 10 day tickets for adults, bought a 7 day ticket for our 4 year old
    3) bought a one day pass so we could get the buy 4 get 3 free and dining plan with the Cabin reservation.

A few notes, normally this wouldn't save because the one day ticket is so high, but if you're going when the buy 4 get 3 deal is going on, you may find that the cost savings on the room is more than the ticket cost raises it. Also, we bought our son's ticket in July before the rates went up, but if we had known about the deal back then we would have only gotten him a 6 day pass, etc. We ended up saving several hundred dollars as crazy mixed up as the plan sounds...
    Disney Lover and Mom of 2 little guys (ages 4 and 2)
    Royal Plaza '84, P.O Fr. Qtr '93, Off-site Honeymoon 2003, Off-site 2007(first visit for boys), CR/FW Cabin January 2009, planning FW Cabin May 2010 now...

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    This sounds like on for Melis OR call the Disney weddings people, surely you aren't the first newlyweds staying at two places and I would think they would have a system for this. Years ago when I was in travel, most hotels in resort areas had a multiproperty option. and that was years, years ago.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    Well tickets aren't an issue for us. We bought our 7 day base tickets back in May before prices increased. There was a time when Adam was weighing whether or not we should add the dining plan but because I eat like a bird, it probably wasn't the smartest option for us. So we're booking hotel only. I guess we'll need to call then to make this type of reservation it sounds.
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    We did this last December. Our first night we stayed at a Fort Wilderness Cabin and were transferring the next day over to Riverside. Disney told us to just leave all of our bags in the kitchen of our cabin, go out and enjoy our day at the parks, and when we returned to Riverside that night we would be able to pick our bags up there. It all worked out perfectly and was extremely easy. I would definitely recommend it, especially since its free!

As for our reservations, we did have to do them by phone since the internet doesn't provide the two resort option. We stayed for ten days and had our reservations set-up so we had a one night, room only ressie for FW and then an 8 night + 10 day park hopper package for POR. That way we still got the deal on our tickets.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Where I've never had to use that service to transfer my bags (we have a car so we just take it ourselves), I've heard horror stories from people using that service. If you look at the Anita Answer column on allears.net, she always recommends taking a cab over to your hotel with your luggage. She cites specific examples where people have spent up to a full day tracking down lost bags that got sent to the wrong resorts, etc.

Now, I'm really just playing Devil's Advocate here because I've never actually used the service, but it may be worth looking into how much a cab ride would cost. Sometimes that little extra dough is worth the peace of mind in knowing that you won't have to worry about if your luggage is there or not.
    ~Ashleigh

I'm not so sure anymore that we'll be switching resorts on our honeymoon, but I still had a question and I was hoping somebody could help me out. I already have tickets, but I was hoping to get us on the dining plan. If I only buy a one day ticket do I only get the dining plan for that one day or can it extend for the duration if I tell them how long we are staying?
    Stitch Smash!

'92, '95, '96, '99, '04

'08

PlutoGirl is offline C-Ticket Holder
    you can have a dining plan longer than your tickets as long as it is all part of a "package" and not a room only reservation. our trip next month has only 1 day tickets (because we have previous ticket days left) but we have the dining plan for the full 6 nights of our stay. I think the dining plan HAS to be for all the nights you stay in the hotel but the tickets for the parks can be whatever number as long as it is at least 1 day.
    Disney Lover and Mom of 2 little guys (ages 4 and 2)
    Royal Plaza '84, P.O Fr. Qtr '93, Off-site Honeymoon 2003, Off-site 2007(first visit for boys), CR/FW Cabin January 2009, planning FW Cabin May 2010 now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast