Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Advice for trip in late Oct/early Nov 2009 in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi guys, So I've spent some time the last couple of weeks looking through this site and me and my boyfriend are looking to book a trip, this weeked, for ...
    HoneyLeighLSU is offline A-Ticket holder

Advice for trip in late Oct/early Nov 2009

Hi guys,
    So I've spent some time the last couple of weeks looking through this site and me and my boyfriend are looking to book a trip, this weeked, for a week in late Oct/early Nov 2009. We want to stay at the All-Star Sports Resort and we are going to drive to Orlando on a Sat and probably be there for dinner and get a 5 day park hopper pass for Sunday-Thursday and are looking to check out of the resort on Friday. So basically 6 nights, 5 days. If someone could help me with some of my questions, that would be great. That way I'll be more prepared when we book this trip!

1. What week do you think we should go? Is there anything going on during these weeks we should know about? Which would be the least crowed?

2. Is there somewhere where we can find which rides will be closed during our stay beforehand?

3. Do you know what the policy is if we have can't come when we originally booked? The reason I'm asking is because if a hurricane hits where I live, I have to be at work. We would want to reschedule and not cancel.

4. What is the weather like in Orlando at this time and would the water parks be open?

5. When can we start making restaurant reservations? How do we go about doing that - is there some sort of an official site? What about character breakfasts - Can we still go without kids?

6. Any other things we should look into? Things we might need to make reservations for or other things that might be fun? Restaurant suggestions? We're both 25 and haven't been in awhile.

Thanks in advance for any information y'all have!!!

Oh and one more! If Disney offers any type of special package for the days we booked (like the buy 4 get 3 free like they're doing now) is they're anyway we can get in on that offer? Or are we stuck with what we already booked?

Does that make sense?

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Ok here goes. My family and I are going Thanksgiving week 2009. We booked back in November with themouseforless.com. They are very good with helping you get what you want and they can tell you about any discounts. They told us that if there are any special offers that may apply to our trip (dates), that they will apply them to our package. You can also buy the Birnbaum's Official WDW Guidebook. You can get it at Barnes & Noble, Books A Million, etc. It's about $20. It gives you the normal weather, attendance numbers, everything you would need. I do know that Space Mountain and TTA will be closed until late 2009 for refurbishment. I hope they get them up and running for our trip. Those are some of my favorites. Disneyworld.com should have a list of things that may be closed.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

Also, I called WDW to make dining reservations. They told me that most restaurants don't make reservations until 6 months before your trip. They told me to call back about mid-March and they could hook us up. As far as the tours go, I'm not sure when you could make a reservation. I hope all this helps a little. If you have any more questions, let me know.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

The dining reservation # is 407-939-3463
    Recreation reserv. # is 407-939-7529
    Info and Ticket sales 407-824-4321
    Travel packages 800-828-0228

Also, the Official Guidebook will have coupons in the back that you can use while at WDW. Not a whole lot of savings, but it's something.

Walt Disney

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyLeighLSU View Post
    1. What week do you think we should go? Is there anything going on during these weeks we should know about? Which would be the least crowed?
    I've been during this time a few times before and my next trip is during that time. If you are looking at October in general, I'd stay away from Columbus Day weekend. Any reason schools could be closed, a general rule of thumb is that crowds can increase. It's not absolute though.

I like the end of October and early November because I like to be there for Halloween and the Food and Wine Festival. So really, just pick the best time for you.

2. Is there somewhere where we can find which rides will be closed during our stay beforehand?
    I believe the Disney website has closings and also check on Deb's Unofficial Walt Disney World Vacation Information Guide - WDW Planning Guide - Walt Disney World, which is wealth of information for visiting the Walt Disney World Resort. For the direct link at AllEarsNet: Rehabs and Closings Schedule at Disney World

3. Do you know what the policy is if we have can't come when we originally booked? The reason I'm asking is because if a hurricane hits where I live, I have to be at work. We would want to reschedule and not cancel.
    I do not know this information, call Disney and ask and/or consider traveler's insurance if this is a big concern to you.

4. What is the weather like in Orlando at this time and would the water parks be open?
    Depends on where you are from as I think the heat/humidity is relative. If you are from up North and have been enjoying the snow, cold, and ice, then October can be a hot month...not as bad as July...but it can be hot but mostly warm. However a co-worker of mine was there this past October and it got cold one or two nights that they had to buy gloves. I have never experienced that in all of my October trips.

As far as the water parks, I'm a fan of Typhoon Lagoon myself. They both are closed during the "Winter" months for rehab...but not at the same time. This year Typhoon Lagoon is closed October 26, 2008 through March 21, 2009. I don't recall TL having that long of a closing before...but Blizzard Beach is open when it is closed and vice versa.

5. When can we start making restaurant reservations? How do we go about doing that - is there some sort of an official site? What about character breakfasts - Can we still go without kids?
    You do not need a child to go to any character meal. DH and I are child free and have attended many character meals without children.

Most dining reservations can be made 90 days out. For more information: Advance Dining Reservations - Priority Seating

6. Any other things we should look into? Things we might need to make reservations for or other things that might be fun? Restaurant suggestions? We're both 25 and haven't been in awhile.
    You are planning on going during the time period that Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party is going on in the Magic Kingdom on select evenings. This is a separate hard ticket event from your regular admission. DH and I really enjoy this and do dress up for it. It's fun. For more info: Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - Magic Kingdom

There's also the Food and Wine Festival going on in Epcot. If either of you are remotely interested in food and alcohol, I'd recommend spending some time in Epcot's World Showcase. For more info: Food and Wine Festival - Epcot

Oh and one more! If Disney offers any type of special package for the days we booked (like the buy 4 get 3 free like they're doing now) is they're anyway we can get in on that offer? Or are we stuck with what we already booked?

Does that make sense?
    I would call and ask. I'm DVC so I don't usually partake of these special offers.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

lexitoad is offline B-Ticket Holder
    #1 I would go closer to Halloween because I know Magic Kingdom is decorated for the season. The least busy is the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That kind of gets you out of your time frame but just a thought. Someone else might have a better suggestion.
    #2 As for ride closings you will want to check back with the Disney site the closer you get. Also the calendar for which parks are EMH will be up around 90 days before you go.
    #3 I just booked through a travel agency (PM if you want the name of it). In my quote there is a fee for cancelation if you get too close to the time of arrival. This is Disney’s policy :
    For cancellations made between 6 and 45 days prior to arrival, there is a cancellation fee of $100 per package. For cancellations made 5 days or less prior to arrival, there is a cancellation fee of $200 per package. If you change your reservation after final payment, there is a $50 change fee and a $10 processing fee. Disney charges these fees.
    #4 Weather you can check at weather.com. They usually have averages for that time of the year. I went once towards the beginning of October and it was still plenty hot and humid. The water park pools (just about all resort pools) are heated so as long as you can stand it you should have a good time at the water parks. I believe at least one water park is open at all times.
    #5 Disney just changed the ADR window to 90 days. So this will have to be done closer to when you go also. (407) WDW-DINE (939-3463) is the phone number to call. Yes you can go to character breakfast without kids. Just be aware that the majority of the restaurant will be kids.
    #6 Check out some other sites for dining. There is a lot added since you have been last. Also are you doing the Dining Plus package? If so you need to make sure you go to the right restaurants for your credits.
    Feel free to personal message me if you have more questions. I love helping people plan so don’t hesitate to ask!

Thank y'all so much. I live in South Louisiana where it is hot and humid all year long so the weather probably won't be as different there as it is here. I guess I'll just end up having to pack summer, fall, winter and spring clothes just to make sure I cover my bases. Thank goodness we're driving!

Is it much cheaper to book through a travel agent or is it pretty much the same?

I REALLY hope Space Mountain is back up and running. I will be really bummed if it's closed, because I don't know when I'll be able to go again!

So there's only 1 number to call to make dining reservations? I can make one call and make them for the whole week? That's pretty convenient. What are y'alls opinions on the meal plans? Are they worth it? I think it would just be easier for the two of us to just get what we want and pay for it out of pocket. We may be more hungry one day than our meal plan allows us to be and not hungry enough the next. But, is there somewhere that I can find out what exactly what restaurants accept the meal plan and how many table services are required for a meal at a certain restaurant?

So it costs extra to get into the Halloween party but not the food and wine festival at Epcot right? I think we are going to arrive on Halloween day and our first day in the parks would be Nov 1 so we'd be there during the festival. Is Epcot extra crowded during this time? That seems fun and I think my boyfriend would be very interested in that! Are the regualr Epcot restaurants still operating during this time?

I know, I'm all over the place with these questions. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can before we book the trip. I appreciate all of y'alls help!!!
    Last edited by HoneyLeighLSU; 01-30-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: to add another question

I REALLY hope Space Mountain is back up and running. I will be really bummed if it's closed, because I don't know when I'll be able to go again!
    Will potentially missing out on one ride break the trip for you? If so, reschedule.

So there's only 1 number to call to make dining reservations? I can make one call and make them for the whole week? That's pretty convenient. What are y'alls opinions on the meal plans? Are they worth it? I think it would just be easier for the two of us to just get what we want and pay for it out of pocket. We may be more hungry one day than our meal plan allows us to be and not hungry enough the next.
    I have never done the meal plans. I've never thought they were a good idea for DH and I as we especially detest having to book all our table service meals prior to our trip. No, you don't have to do that but it is recommended especially at certain locations and certain times of year. As far as their "worth," I think it is relative. Some people do enjoy having all their meals prepaid. I can tell you as two adults who are very flexible can walk into table service places as we have done this on multiple trips after the popularity of the dining plans. It's not a guarantee, the key is to be flexible. Someone who is a fan of the dining plans can probably assist you more.

So it costs extra to get into the Halloween party but not the food and wine festival at Epcot right? I think we are going to arrive on Halloween day and our first day in the parks would be Nov 1 so we'd be there during the festival. Is Epcot extra crowded during this time? That seems fun and I think my boyfriend would be very interested in that! Are the regualr Epcot restaurants still operating during this time?
    Food and Wine Festival is included in your Epcot admission. To partake of the food/alcohol offerings and the events will cost you. MNSSHP is a separate hard ticket event with limited admission. The party can and does sell out on select nights, almost always Halloween night.

I have found the crowds in Epcot during the F&WF to vary. During the week and in the afternoons, it's okay. During the weekend, locals make their presence known and it's noticeably more crowded in the World Showcase in my experience.
    Amanda

Will potentially missing out on one ride break the trip for you?
    No, I'm a big girl. I can handle it. But, I will be disappointed. That one was my favorite and the last time I rode it, I was 7! But, I'm sure that I will survive!!!

No, I'm a big girl. I can handle it. But, I will be disappointed. That one was my favorite and the last time I rode it, I was 7! But, I'm sure that I will survive!!!
    I haven't heard/read too much about WDW's Space Mountain closing/rehab. I can speculate what is going on, but I would rather have something accurate.

I do know how you feel though. My very first trip to Disneyland took place when their Space Mountain was undergoing a long rehab for the 50th anniversary. So, we missed out on Space Mountain entirely. It was only this past year when we went again that we finally got to ride it. If WDW is planning on doing what DL did with their ride rehab for Space Mountain, I'm all for it! DL's Space Mountain is better than WDW's currently IMHO.
    Amanda

Well if it's not open when I go, I guess that just gives us an excuse to go back again soon! Plus I heard Universal has a Harry Potter themed island going up, but that won't open until 2010, and I'd really like to see that too.

One more question: I was doing the research on restaurants and the character meals, I would assume, fill up pretty fast. But what about the other restaurants that aren't featuring characters or some type of performance? Can you usually still be able to get a table at those or make a reservation that day? I was just wondering cause I have no idea what we're going to want to eat in 10 months or even what park we'll be at!

I think we're going to make reservations as soon as we're able to, to the Hoop de do Review and 1 character breakfast or lunch.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Space Mountain:

Mouseplanet.com
    Every Monday they print a WDW Update and one for Disneyland
    this is the best article I've seen to date. Walt Disney World Resort Update (Walt Disney World Park Update) by Mark Goldhaber

I've always used Walt Disney Travel Co. and we always purchase the
    travel insurance. When it is a real possibility we might need to rearrange I book my air through them too.

Food:
    I love Allears.net, they even have recipes when you come back. They have menus on line.

And for general touring info, hotels, rides etc. by far Disney World Trivia!

One more question: I was doing the research on restaurants and the character meals, I would assume, fill up pretty fast. But what about the other restaurants that aren't featuring characters or some type of performance? Can you usually still be able to get a table at those or make a reservation that day? I was just wondering cause I have no idea what we're going to want to eat in 10 months or even what park we'll be at!
    DH and I routinely walk into restaurants without reservations. However, we are very very flexible when we do this. Last month we walked up to Teppan Edo and 50's Prime Time. On previous trips we couldn't walk up to those two places. It really depends. Places like Le Cellier or Cinderella's Royal Table Character Breakfast, just make your reservations as soon as you can because they are both very popular. Resort restaurants in general are a little easier to walk into in my experience than places in the parks.

I think we're going to make reservations as soon as we're able to, to the Hoop de do Review and 1 character breakfast or lunch.
    That's a good idea. If there is anywhere you absolutely want to eat, then make yourself an ADR.
    Amanda

little grammy is offline Fastpass Holder
    Temperatures and packing:

I am a weather watcher... go to these sites and pack accordingly. On a trip in October 2007 the temperatures approached record breaking highs. Glad I knew that before taking gloves, scarf and jacket...

www.accuweather.com
    National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report
    Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground

You can also check average temperatures on these sites to see now what to expect.

If you're a fan of Halloween--- be sure to go to Mickey's Not So Scarey Halloween Party... the parade is my very favorite!!!

Read about food and wine festival to get more info..... Deb's Unofficial Walt Disney World Vacation Information Guide - WDW Planning Guide - Walt Disney World
    "MagicMeets" Attendee 2006, '07, '08 and '09

"D23 EXPO" Attendee 2009

First Time Cruiser--- Disney Dream
    Feb. 2011 Deck 7 #7186

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast