Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Planning A July Trip .. in the Vacation Planning forums; For our high school graduation, myself and three other friends wanted to plan a trip to WDW, we'll all be eighteen by the first or second week of July, which ...
    starxcrossed is offline B-Ticket Holder

Planning A July Trip ..

For our high school graduation, myself and three other friends wanted to plan a trip to WDW, we'll all be eighteen by the first or second week of July, which is when we wanted to go. We're thinking of Pop Century, (more affordable, naturally,) and want to spend maybe 6 days, 5 nights, with only three in the parks with the Parkhopper Pass. We also will need a dining plan. Three of us have been to Disney World before, and I've been the most out of all of them, and know more about restaurants/attractions than all of them so I know I can figure out great places to eat. (Unless you want to make some suggestions as well!)

So, with that backgroud, my questions are: How can we make the trip as affordable as possible? Where can we get discounted/cheaper tickets? What sort of dining plan can we get? What would be the best for four eighteen year old girls wandering around Orlando?! We definitely want to get the most out of our trip and was wondering if there were any links or advice you could give us for our trip!

Thanks!
    Last edited by starxcrossed; 02-01-2009 at 02:18 PM.

LisaAnn is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Well, me being almost 19..i think that Pop Century would be a great choice for the four of you. I mean, you get all of the advantages at a cheaper price, and for four of you, it shouldnt be that expensive.
    Ive never done the dining plan before, and i always get my park tickets through Disney so i cant really help there. Just have fun and be safe!
    ~Lisa~
    DCP Fall 2012: Strollers/Main Entrance Merchandise, Magic Kingdom
    Vacations to WDW: 20
    Vacations to DL: 2

Thank you! And you're right, why spend a lot on a resort that we're only going to sleep in, you know? We're going to spend most of our time out of the hotel, and we can always resort hop to go to other restaurants or pools (like Caribbean Beach!)
    Last edited by starxcrossed; 02-01-2009 at 02:20 PM.

LisaAnn is offline C-Ticket Holder
    yes you can! but be careful, becuase i know some of the bigger pools (like Boardwalk's) don't allow you to pool hop all the time. Also, i know for a fact that you CANNOT get into Stormalong Bay (Yacht and Beach's pool) unless you are staying at that resort. You need a wristband. Just letting you know!
    Me and my friend are going down this May by ourselves to celebrate getting through our first year of college. If you have any questions about our plans or anything, feel free to ask me. Ill be happy to help you in any way possible, since im only about a year older than you, lol
    ~Lisa~
    DCP Fall 2012: Strollers/Main Entrance Merchandise, Magic Kingdom
    Vacations to WDW: 20
    Vacations to DL: 2

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    How fun! You will definately have a great time with your friends!

A Value Resort, like Pop, is definately your best bet. If you can, try to book your trip during the week - it's typically much cheaper than the weekends (Friday and Saturday nights). Even better, is there any way you can book your trip a little earlier - before June 30th? If you can, do it! The buy 4 nights, get 3 free goes through then I believe. I know that you have the under 18 thing hanging over your heads, but Florida law only requires one person of you party to be over 18 at check in (it's best to check with Disney on that, but I had no problem a couple of years ago when I was 19 and my sister was 17). They will probably have to be the person that the trip is booked under as well. With this package, you will have to book everything through Disney (tickets and room), but it will definately save you money (I also think that as long as your first day starts on June 30, you can take advantage of the offer).

If you can only go in July though and want to get your tickets from an outside source, do NOT get them from a stand around Orlando or on ebay. They are almost 100% of the time tickets with extra days left on them. Since the biometric finger scan has someone else's finger measurements attached to the ticket, you won't be able to get in and will have to purchase tickets from Disney again to get in. And, unfortunately, when you go to contact the seller, they will more than likely will not be able to be reached.
    So, where can you get discounted tickets from a reputable source? There are a couple of names that get batted around by Disney sites that I fully trust. Two that I remember are Undercover Tourist and Maple Leaf Tickets. They are both official (or licensed) Disney ticket brokers and I have never heard of anyone having any trouble with these tickets. Check on MouseSavers.com - Disney Discount Source - Disney World Discounts, Disneyland Discounts, Disney Cruise Discounts for any other ticket discounts you can receive. You can also get discounted tickets from a variety of other sources. Is your family (or any who will be traveling with you) a member of AAA? I hear that they give pretty good discounts. Also, you guys should check with all of you parents - sometimes the companies they work for give Disney ticket discounts. My dad works for Hewlett Packard and he gets a discount on Disney tickets (but maybe that's only because HP sponsers Mission: Space).

About the DP: the cheapest you'll be able to do is the Counter Service DP, which is $29.99/night. With that, you get 2 counter service meals and 2 snacks for each night you have booked and a refillable resort mug. I know it may sound a little steep at first, but the good part about it is that it will already be paid before you leave for vacation, so you don't have to worry about buying food when you're there. Some people have debated that it isn't worth the money, and I was actually one of them. However, after experiencing the dining plan for the first time in December, I have come to the conclusion that it is definatley worth it. Case in point: we ate at Wolfgang Puck Express (in DTD) one day and that meal alone was $25.00. If we were on the Counter Service DP, we would have already almost gotten to $30.00 and still had one more meal and 2 snacks. So, is this really enough food? YES! I was stuffed every day with one counter service meal and one table service meal - we had about 10 snacks left over at the end of our stay.
    The other dining plans are the table service dining plan - $39.99, and is one table service, one counter service, and one snack per day, but the table service meal does not include appetizer or tip.
    The deluxe dining plan is around $70.00 and is 3 table service meals a day (craziness!) and 2 snacks. I have no clue how anyone could eat that much food, though.

To tie this all together, you may want to check and see what the rules are for getting the dining plan. I don't know if you just need to book the room through Disney or both the room and the tickets in order to be eligible for the dining plan.

I hope you guys have a great trip!
    ~Ashleigh

Thank you for all the information! I've been on the dining plan, and I agree that it's an amazing plan. (If you think about it, add up all the food you eat in a day, and it usually comes to about $20 or so anyway!) When I went with my family, our dining plan was a quick service (like the Electric Umbrella) and then a meal at Coral Reef or a place like that. Is that the same plan? Or is that a different plan? I know that we definitely would like to go to restaurants in Epcot to have some "ethinc flavor" in our meals, but I'm not sure if that would be included. =/

Also, does anyone know if you can still use a snack credit on something that is under $3? I remember I could buy a bag of cotton candy as a "snack" on my plan, and I'm hoping that didn't change!

Thanks so much!
    s a r a h *
    | April '07 - Caribbean Beach | July '07 - Saratoga Springs |
    | July '09 - Pop Century |August '11 - Animal Kingdom |

bety is offline Disney World Beast
    I went to Disney World about 2 months ago with three girlfriends, and I think the thing we enjoyed most was SHOPPING! You must shop! Go to Downtown Disney and spend at least 5 hours there. We're all in our early twenties, so we're close to your age too.
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music