Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss ERRR! Please help newbies plan a trip! in the Vacation Planning forums; My fiance and I are getting married when she gets finished with school in April and we are planning on going to Disney World for our honeymoon. I have been ...
    Mike Rowe is offline A-Ticket holder

ERRR! Please help newbies plan a trip!

My fiance and I are getting married when she gets finished with school in April and we are planning on going to Disney World for our honeymoon. I have been looking at all the different hotels, options, extras, places to go, things to do, ect and it's just getting so frustrating, not magical. Neither one of us have ever been so we don't know what to expect or what things are better then others, ect. Basically, we have $3000.00 (that we saved for the last 2 years in change) and are driving from GA. We plan to stay for 7 days so we are thinking we would stay in the cheapest hotel (we checked out All-Star Resorts) possible to save money for other things. We will be out doing something all the time, so we only need it for sleep and maybe a free breakfast, if they have that. We would like to be able to jump around to all the parks so we were going to get the 5 day + park hopping deal. We are also 27 so we would like to take in some night life as well.

So based on our situation, my questions are:

1) Are the more expensive hotels worth it?
    2) Would May or Sept. be a good time to go?
    3) Is Travalocity or similar a good method for booking the trip?
    4) What other things should a young newly wed couple do?
    5) Are there any ways to save money via coupons, good places to book deals, or anything else we can do?
    6) How far in advance do we need to book our trip?

Thank you in advance. I really appreciate in help to make our trip memorable and exciting!

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rowe View Post
    My fiance and I are getting married when she gets finished with school in April and we are planning on going to Disney World for our honeymoon. I have been looking at all the different hotels, options, extras, places to go, things to do, ect and it's just getting so frustrating, not magical. Neither one of us have ever been so we don't know what to expect or what things are better then others, ect. Basically, we have $3000.00 (that we saved for the last 2 years in change) and are driving from GA. We plan to stay for 7 days so we are thinking we would stay in the cheapest hotel (we checked out All-Star Resorts) possible to save money for other things. We will be out doing something all the time, so we only need it for sleep and maybe a free breakfast, if they have that. We would like to be able to jump around to all the parks so we were going to get the 5 day + park hopping deal. We are also 27 so we would like to take in some night life as well.

If all you are doing is sleeping there then you would be better off doing the value resorts and spending the money elsewhere. Remember Pop Century has its own bus and the other All Stars all share a bus.
    September can still be a little hot. Both are ok for crowds.
    I've never seen Disney hotels on Travelocity. If they are there won't be cheap rates.
    take time for yourself!!!
    5) Are there any ways to save money via coupons, good places to book deals, or anything else we can do?
    check mouse savers.com often, if you are a AAA member then you may qualify for a discount on rooms, order your tickets from undercovertourist.com and of course you could always use one of the travel agencies that specialize in Disney vacations like Mouse Fan Travels
    Call and ask Disney reservation.
    Thank you in advance. I really appreciate in help to make our trip memorable and exciting!

good luck and congrats
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    If you go in May, you will be able to take advantage of the buy 4 nights, get 3 free. If you call Disney, they will be very helpful at booking a vacation. Don't forget to tell them that you'll be on your honeymoon (for a few surprises)!
    ~Ashleigh

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder
    The first three weeks in May are good for crowds because most schools are still in session. The week running into Memorial Day weekend is when crowds will build. After Labor Day weekend in September, the crowds begin to thin, but as mentioned, it is till hot AND prime hurricane season.
    If you really want to save money on lodging, consider an off-site hotel. These will be less expensive than a value resort, but for a honeymoon, I think you will really like staying on property.
    Some good resources for planning your trip are "The Unofficial Guide to WDW" by Len Testa, AllEars.net website, and MouseFanTravel.net for a travel agent. If you find the planning frustrating, Mouse Fan Travel can handle everything for you.

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I highly recommend MEI & Mousefan travel, they booked my last trip, and it was awesome, they can get you the best deals, make dining reservations, and arrange for anything else you need, and they do it at no cost to you! I also recommend Pop Century, it is very nice (and least expensive), and having your own car is a good idea as well, it saves the time of waiting on a bus, plus parking is free if you stay on property. I also highly recommend the dining plan, that is if you want to have a nice sit down meal every day at the higher end restaurants.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rowe View Post

I've been here in May and in September. May is good weather-wise and crowd-wise.
    The day after Labor Day was awesome last year. DH rode back to back rides all morning without having to wait. I'm guessing that could happen most days at that time of year.
    I've never stayed at the All-Star Sports, but I keep hearing people say that the kid ratio is rather high there. I'd pick All-Star Music instead if you are going for the value resorts. I wouldn't expect to use Travalocity unless you plan to stay off property or are flying and it sounds like you'd rather stay on property and drive. It never hurts to check with either of the travel agents listed previously. It doesn't cost you anything to see what they can offer. The earlier you book, the more certain you will be of getting the reservations at the place you most desire, but both times of the year you gave shouldn't be a problem.
    For extra entertainment, a May trip could put you at Epcot for the Flower and Garden Festival. A good time for some experiencing free retro music groups. A September trip could be during the Food and Wine Festival. If you enjoy trying a variety of food, that's a good time to come.
    I'm not sure I gave you a lot of new advice, but I did try to answer a couple of your questions.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Stitch's buddy is offline Hakuna Matata
    If you staying at a value Pop is the way to go the busing at All-Star are terrible everytime I went ( ganted my team was a Sports for a tourney and there were vollyball and soccer team staying there )
    moderate are nice if you want a little more room

I FINISHED my first ever race, ToT 13Kand running it again in '09

** Please, Please excuse my grammatical and spelling errors. Correct me if I'm wrong.**

Wow! Thanks for all the great help. Definitely, making this a lot easier.

I have done some research online at Disney and found their Vacation packages.

We were thinking about the Disney your way package for $1,696 since it offers so much more.

The travelocity deal worked out to be about $1,300 but only included the hotel and park tickets. It did not have all the cool benefits like Disney's PhotoPass Certificate
    Sea Raycers by Sea Ray Certificate
    Miniature Golf Certificate
    Planet Hollywood Certificate
    Disney Arcade Card
    Purchases Delivered to Your Room

Unless, these benefits are just part of the resort stay.

Would upgrading to the Disney your way w/ plus quick service dining be worth the extra $400.00? We we're planning on eating mostly store bought stuff during the day and maybe a few good meals, while we're there.

And, we would like to park hop and noticed the Park hopping upgrade option for the packages. In the comparison, it says "Park Hopper
    and No Expiration
    and Water Park Fun and More"

Does the mean it's included or where do I find the upgrade option?
    I went through the whole check out process just to test it, but there never was an option to upgrade.

Also, I want our last night to be really romantic. What dinner and activities would you suggest?

So for all the questions. Really, thanks again for all the great help. You guys are awesome!

zeusywoo is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Hi Mike, congrats on the up coming marriage & honeymoon.

The packages can be upgraded for the tickets from base to park hoppers but they do cost about $50 more. Then the no expiration costs I believe $50 more. You should have the upgraded button when you were choosing the tickets.

We have never used the dining options. We didn't think we would eat enough to make it worth the money. Friends of ours paid last year & loved it. They did alot of sit down dining & it can get pricey she said when you order steak or lobster. We treat ourselves to one or 2 really nice meals. We aren't taking it this time future trip either.

You are right Disney does have nice benefits. We used AAA & will receive about the same as what you found. I know my friends waited for the free dining in Sept to end of Oct a few years back. They had 3 children to feed.

Hope this helps you. I don't have any information on the value resorts sorry. I always sway hubby to the moderate when not staying with friends in DVC.
    Last edited by zeusywoo; 02-02-2009 at 07:45 PM.
    1st MK Oct. '80, DL '90, CBR '98, VB & WLV '01, BCV Jun '06, SSR Oct '06, POR Jun '09, BCR Feb '11 & POFQ Mar '11, AKLJ Jul '11 BLT Nov '12 BWRV Nov '12 BWRV Aug '14 BCV Sept '14
    Have a Magical Day! Deck 7 Cool Kids Dar

Thank you. Yeah, I'm thinking were are going to skip the food plan since we only plan to do sit down eating 2-3 times the whole week so it wouldn't be worth it.

BusDriver is offline Fastpass Holder
    Mike,

Like you I went to WDW for a honeymoon. My wife & I bought some of the air brush t-shirts at Downtown Disney, and wore them one day. Several Cast Members working the waiting queus noticed the shirts and we received several perks, like being shown to the front of the lines and having them separate us from other riders by leaving empty cars before and after ours on rides like Space Ship Earth and Haunted Mansion.

Also, if you can afford it, splurging and surprising your bride with a meal at Victoria & Alberts at the Grand Floridian would be very romantic and memorable. You get a lot of brownie points, but depending on if you go for the wine pairing, it will set you back $160 to $250. There is a dress code for V&A', and the food is outstanding!!!
    My Dream Job - WDW Bus Driver

1975 - First Visit; 1985 High School Band Trip; 1986 Grad Night; 1992 First Visit with two oldest daughters; 1997 First Visit with Son; 1998 Joined DVC; 2003 First Visit with Twins

Many visits staying at Old Key West, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Disney Institute & All Star Sports

Quote Originally Posted by BusDriver View Post
    Mike,

Like you I went to WDW for a honeymoon. My wife & I bought some of the air brush t-shirts at Downtown Disney, and wore them one day. Several Cast Members working the waiting queus noticed the shirts and we received several perks, like being shown to the front of the lines and having them separate us from other riders by leaving empty cars before and after ours on rides like Space Ship Earth and Haunted Mansion.

Also, if you can afford it, splurging and surprising your bride with a meal at Victoria & Alberts at the Grand Floridian would be very romantic and memorable. You get a lot of brownie points, but depending on if you go for the wine pairing, it will set you back $160 to $250. There is a dress code for V&A', and the food is outstanding!!!
    Perfect. I was just planning something extra for her and was looking at that.

snuggie is offline E-Ticket Holder
    The travelocity deal worked out to be about $1,300 but only included the hotel and park tickets. It did not have all the cool benefits like Disney's PhotoPass Certificate -- you can get these at any park
    Sea Raycers by Sea Ray Certificate --- you can rent these at the Poly or beach club area. There is a 10 day deal which is cheaper in the long run.
    Miniature Golf Certificate
    Planet Hollywood Certificate
    Disney Arcade Card -- you can get these at the resorts, you pay to put $$ on them
    Purchases Delivered to Your Room -- this is a perk for all resort guests, not just a package. When doing this, I would not do on the last 2 days of your visit.

Would upgrading to the Disney your way w/ plus quick service dining be worth the extra $400.00? We we're planning on eating mostly store bought stuff during the day and maybe a few good meals, while we're there. --- I would opt out for a few nice TS's then.

Does the mean it's included or where do I find the upgrade option?
    I went through the whole check out process just to test it, but there never was an option to upgrade. -- You have to add these options, they are extra. Mousesavers.com has this broken down very well.

Also, I want our last night to be really romantic. What dinner and activities would you suggest? For dinner, Yactsman Steakhouse, Jiko, Nacrossee's, if it is in the budget Victoria and Albert's, or dinner on the Grand One, which is private yacht, dinner, champagne and can watch fireworks at MK from lake.

If you are going in May, you need to be aware that the 90 day window to book rest. is coming up. PS Calculator 10.0

I like the moderate hotels, but have also stayed at the values. If you are looking at values stay at Pop Century and not the All Stars. The All Star resorts share a bus and that stinks.

I would go in Sept. less crowded.

I use MEI/MouseFanTravel when I'm not using my DVC points to book a trip. You can get a free quote from them and they watch when there are specials announced so you don't have to. They are great people to work with.

Have fun! Make sure everyone knows you are celebrating. Weat Just Married shirts to the parks and see how much attention you get.

Once again, try MEI/MouseFanTravel. Also, sign up for Mousesavers newletters.

I would say once you know where you want to stay and have a quote you like, book it!

Also, check out Deb's Unofficial Walt Disney World Vacation Information Guide - WDW Planning Guide - Walt Disney World This site a great information on it.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Great help everyone. You really starting to make this to easy!

We are now thinking about getting there Oct. 30th so we can be there for Halloween. Anyone experience Halloween there?

Also, what if we book this week, then Disney offers better specials. Will they honor a better deal?
    Last edited by Mike Rowe; 02-03-2009 at 12:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast