Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Taking an Infant in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi All~ I am in the process of planning our second Disney Trip. You guys were so helpful last year that I figured I would ask for help again. We ...
    aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Taking an Infant

Hi All~
    I am in the process of planning our second Disney Trip. You guys were so helpful last year that I figured I would ask for help again.
    We took a 4 year old and a 1 year old last year in September and it was fantastic! I know that some people think that the 1 year old was too young but she everytime she sees her little pink princess Disney ears she starts saying "Mi-i Mouse" so I know that she remembers. Of course, our 4 (now 5) year old talks about it all of the time and cannot wait to go back. As far as my husband I go, it was by far my favorite vacation. Mommy was more relaxed and laid back than ever and we had wonderful memories. Also, we went the week after Labor Day and it was fantastic! We never waited more than 15 minutes for any ride and most of the time we walked right on and rode them over and over.
    Ok, anyway, on to the questions. This year we will have a 5 year old, 2 year and a 2 month old. We certainly do not mind working on the 2 month old's schedule and will go back to the resort when he/she needs the break. We will also be taking our own stroller again to save the $$ and to ensure the comfort of the baby being able to lay in the car seat and have the umbrella over her/him. So . . .

1. Do you have any tips for keeping the baby cool? Most days we were fine but there were a couple where it was pretty hot. We bought the little fans that sprayed water and we pushed liquids on the kids last year but I'm not sure how to keep an infant cool and since the baby will still be on formula, I want to make sure that it stays hydrated in between feedings.

2. Last year we also carried our 1 (now 2) year old around in the baby backpack thing. She loved it and usually ended up falling asleep when she was in it. I was wondering if anyone used anything like this for an infant. I was afraid that the baby might get too hot.

3. Any other infant tips will be greatly appreciated.
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder
    I used a stroller for a two year old and backpack for a 7 month old years ago. It was great and we got real good at removing the backpack and getting the infant into a ride vehicle. We did not ride any of the big rides and were pretty happy with slow vehicles. We carried powder formula and got fresh water at any of the fountain drink stands, had no problems, and this was in mid-July. For keeping the baby cool, we found some cheap battery operated fans that clipped onto the strollers.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    I used a stroller for a two year old and backpack for a 7 month old years ago. It was great and we got real good at removing the backpack and getting the infant into a ride vehicle. We did not ride any of the big rides and were pretty happy with slow vehicles. We carried powder formula and got fresh water at any of the fountain drink stands, had no problems, and this was in mid-July. For keeping the baby cool, we found some cheap battery operated fans that clipped onto the strollers.

The fans are a great idea. I think I'll buy a few of them and the older 2 can use them, as well.

Thanks!
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    There's a few threads out there on this topic. I'm going to see if I can find some and post them here.

For now here's my tips... we've been taking our son since he was just under 10 months old.

When it comes to keeping them cool... we got this great little fan on property, I think at the World of Disney store. It was a Mickey Mouse head for the top fan part (plastic) with a soft foam material for the blades (so if for some reason they get their fingers in there it's no biggy). The base was a big Mickey hand that was actually a very strong clip. We'd clip the fan to the top of the stroller (the sun shade) and turn it on, aimed at him. We also got one of those little water bottles that also has a manual sprayer on it and we'd spray him every so often. The mist coupled with the constant fanning always worked wonders. Plus... our son just LOVED the Mickey fan hanging there all day. It was his personal Mickey AC system and people were commenting on it all day so it was extra attention for him.

One trip we went it was particularly warm and humid. We found that leaving him shoe and sockless was a big help. At that age they aren't walking around anyway and it really helped to disipate the heat out of him.

Another thing we did was carried a wash cloth with us. We'd periodically stop at drink fountains and get it nice and cool and wet and just wipe him down... especially his back. Sitting in the stroller, though he was kept cool with the fan and occasional spritzes of water, usually made his back pretty sweaty. Wiping it and his head down made him a lot more comfortable.

As for the little back pack thing... keeping them against you will generate a lot of body heat and probably make you both extra warm. If you really want to do the backpack thing to carry the infant around, I'd suggest getting a cold pack (not an ice pack) to place between you and the baby.

All this said... a 2 month old is likely to sleep through being overheated and not show any signs of it so the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to keep doing all this stuff (or whatever other things people suggest) regardless of how happy and comfortable the baby may seem. The good news is that you can take a baby that young onto all the dark rides which are of course cooled by AC... so that's also a big help.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Thanks! Great idea about taking a wash cloth and also about a cold pack. I am definitely going to the do fan thing and spritzing with water is a good idea, too.

Thanks again!
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    My laptop here at work is going bonkers... crashed as I was trying to post this so I'm gonna try again...

Here ya go... found the other threads for you... some good infant tips in these as well:

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...nfant-wdw.html

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...ey-infant.html

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...dw-w-baby.html
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

amywhite11 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I took my daughter when she was 1 (and again at 2) and both times was fantastic.

Check with your pediatrician regarding hydration. Last time I asked mine, they do not recommend giving your child water between bottles. The water fills them up and they won't drink the formula and get the nutrition they need. Stick to your normal feeding schedule and count how many wet diapers your changing. Again the pedi can tell you how many they should have each day.

We are also going again this September, with now 3 year old, and 11 month old. I just googled 'clip on battery fan' last night and a popular one is from onestepahead.com

The last two trips were in June and we did the misting fan, and I brought ice packs that I froze each night. (99 cents at Walmart) I would put the ice pack in a baggie with a wash rag and it kept the wash rag nice and cool for periodic wipe downs. We also kept the shoes and socks off.

M5ward is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Take Your Toddler to WDW!!!
    Try this blog. Might be informative for you.
    Michele
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on until Morning!
    ºoº * ~ ** ~ * ºoº

November, 1981 (CR), November, 1983 (CR), December, 1994 (off-site),January, 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), January, 2007 (SSR), November, 2007 (SSR), February. 2008 (BWV), October, 2008 (OKW), January, 2009 (BWV)

I completely agree with Jenn on the wet wash cloth thing! We've been taking our boys since they were 8 months old. We purchased a small, soft sided cooler with a strap on it that goes right around the stroller handle. We use this to take bottled water into the parks, but we also take a large Ziploc bag with a fresh washcloth in it. Having it in the ice inside the cooler is a super refreshing thing to wipe down little ones with.

Be sure to take full advantage of the wonderful Baby Care Centers located in each of the parks!

Great idea about the washcloth. We will definitely take a soft sided cooler this time around. I am going to ship water bottles down beforehand along with snacks and baby stuff. Last time we bought our water bottles for $2/each. I thought that was fairly reasonable but if we can save the $$, why not?
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

CKrup is offline B-Ticket Holder
    We took our youngest daughter when she was 6 months old. Take advantage of all the shaded seating and indoor seating with A/C. Some of our favorite places were:

The benches just outside Sir Mickey's in Fantasyland - they were completely shaded and the AC blew out of the store!

The covered porch of Exposition Hall - Pull up a rocker and watch the afternoon parade or just people watch. The theatre in the back of Exposition Hall is a great place to go relax and cool down. As long as it is not in use.

The Disney Animation building @ DHS - take the back entrance through the gift shop. There are some quiet areas and interactive stations for the older kids to play with.

Any pavilion at EPCOT.

Animal Kingdom seems to be the hottest park. We used the path between Africa and Asia. There's plenty of shade. It's relaxing and you may catch a glimpse of Devine!

amywhite11 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Instead of shipping items down, there is a grocery store that delivers to the resorts. I have not used them, but I'm planning to this year. I heard about them on this site other disney sites. gardengrocer.com carries water, snacks, and baby items. With the crazy fees for airline baggage I planned on buying wipes, diapers, etc and having it delivered to our room our first day.

Thanks, I checked on it last year and I wasn't really convinced that it would save enough $$ to go through the hassle of not picking out my own supplies and shipping them. We have a Fed Ex account that we can use. I won't ship down water because it is so heavy but I'm sure I can get everything else. Plus, I can shop at Costco beforehand and buy the snacks in bulk. We went threw almost a whole box of granola bars last year.
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

dusten is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Taking an Infant

Quote Originally Posted by amywhite11 View Post
    Instead of shipping items down, there is a grocery store that delivers to the resorts. I have not used them, but I'm planning to this year. I heard about them on this site other disney sites. gardengrocer.com carries water, snacks, and baby items. With the crazy fees for airline baggage I planned on buying wipes, diapers, etc and having it delivered to our room our first day.
    We did both, shipped items down and had groceries delivered. I was judicious in comparing weight to cost and only shipped items that were higher in price and lower in weight. For example, breakfast cereals got shipped and some items we could not use all of like peanut butter (we shipped half a jar). I also ship back home whatever we don't use and I read that somebody even filled their box with dirty clothes to ship home. Also, this would give you more room for souveniers in your checked luggage. Seems like a lot of work, but saves you hundreds compared to restaurants (so you can go to Disney more).

I wanted to attach a copy of my list, but it's 118kb and the limit is 100kb.
    Last edited by dusten; 09-18-2009 at 09:28 AM.
    WDW Radio Cruise 2011

Maturity is only a short break in adolescence.
    Friend me at www.facebook.com/dusten2
    Visit my website at www.dusten.cc