Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss purchase tix in advance or wait for package? in the Vacation Planning forums; Is it better to buy park tickets this year for our 2010 trip to lock in the 2009 prices, or should I book a package when the 2010 rates come ...
    volsfan is offline A-Ticket holder

purchase tix in advance or wait for package?

Is it better to buy park tickets this year for our 2010 trip to lock in the 2009 prices, or should I book a package when the 2010 rates come out?
    2006 All Star Movies
    2004 All Star Music
    1998 All Star Sports

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: purchase tix in advance or wait for package?

We usually don't book a package. In the past I've bought one a month (family of three)the 3 months leading up to our trip. AAA had pretty good prices when I did that in 2007. Last year I used undercover tourist with the link from Mousesavers monthly newsletter and saved even more for 7 day park hoppers. I saved almost $22 pp off the stated price from Disney. I usually don't book a package because we don't get the dining plan. I've gotten the annual pass before and gotten great rates with the passholder discount. I take a chance on rate hikes to buy the tickets at my convenience (when I have the $$$) but if you can afford to get them ahead of time I say do it. I don't see Disney raising rates in this economy, but you never know.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder

The risk you run in buying tickets in advance is that Disney releases a great sale on a package (such as the Buy 4 Get 3 Free deal out now) but doesn't release any similar room-only promo.

How much will you really save if the ticket prices increase??? The price hikes have been roughly 7% or 8% at a time. So maybe a ticket that's now $225 might go up to $240, so you'll $15 per ticket, so $60 for a family of 4.

But let's say they release the B4G3F deal again. That deal might save you hundreds of dollars (or thousands at a more expensive resort), but to get it you'd need to buy at least a 1-day ticket for $75 + tax (at today's prices).

To me, it's just not worth it to save $15 a ticket, since you risk losing out on much more savings.
    -- Eric

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

wait till the last week or day then buy your tickets before price change. don't think you would save to wait for a pkg.
    J&J

Joel&Bee is offline B-Ticket Holder

If you are planning to stay at a Disney hotel you may want to wait. With the economy the way it is I could see Disney offering the buy 4 days get 3 days for free promotion again in 2010. That is really the best deal you could ever get if you are staying on property. Of course if you are going in late August - October there is free dinning which I am almost positive Disney will offer again in 2010 given the economy.

Joel playing bass with The Tropicals in Animal Kingdom:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuf8R7zVt1M