Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Baby's First Time! in the Vacation Planning forums; I have gone to Disney every year for the past 16 yrs. I missed last year 2008 cause I was pregnant with my first child. She was born in Aug ...
    #1EeyoreFan is offline I love Eeyore! Disney Forever, and ever and ever etc.

Baby's First Time!

I have gone to Disney every year for the past 16 yrs. I missed last year 2008 cause I was pregnant with my first child. She was born in Aug 08. And we plan on taking her this year in Dec. 09 for her first time. I have read all different things on what to do and how to make things easy for us. I wanted to know, if anyone out there has had an problems, with traveling with a child so young she will be at the time we go 17 months old.
    DISNEY IS MY HAPPY PLACE THE ONLY TIME THAT I GET 2WKS OF HAPPINESS AND WORRY FREE TIME!!!!!! This time I will see it through the eyes of my baby girl born 2008.

Next Trip is December 2010

Can't wait!!!!!!

Jul- 85 - Poly- 1st Time ever Nov - 97 - Best Western
    Nov- 98- travel Lodge Nov- 99 - Music - Family Trip
    Oct- 00 - Music Nov- 01 - Movies
    Oct-02- Movies Dec- 03 - Movies
    Oct-04- Pop - Married Dec- 05- Pop
    Dec-06 - Pop Nov- 07- Pop

wdwfan1313 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Baby's First Time!

We first took our little girl when she was 7 months old and we all had a great time. Luckily for us she is not a very fussy kid so traveling with her was easy. We took the red eye and she fell asleep before the plane even took off and woke just before we landed. If a late night flight is an option for you I would take it. Bring plenty of sunblock of course and find out where the baby care centers are. The one in AK will always hold a special place in my heart as this is where my little girl spoke her first word "daddy". We let her set the schedule so to speak and that seemed to work for us. We had no agenda we simply read her cues and found things that she enjoyed, which was just about everything even waiting in the lines believe or not.

One last thing, if you can buy an umbrella stroller, do it. We bought one at baby's r us for about $15. By the end of the trip it was pretty well dead but it was so easy to move it through the crowds. I don't recall running over even one foot save for my wife's but she was asking for it. They take up so much less space then those giant strollers/ODV carts that so many people use not to mention it weighed only about 2 pounds a great advantage when you lugging onto a bus at the end of the day.

Have a great time and congratulations. Its always great to have another Disney baby!!
    Last edited by wdwfan1313; 03-25-2009 at 07:10 PM.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Our first family trip was with a two-year old in an umbrella stroller and a 7 month old in a backpack. It was great. The trip was all about the kids so we did not ride the big rides, not even with a swap, spent a lot of time meeting characters, and left the parks early in the evening to keep a normal bed time. It was so much fun seeing Disney through their eyes. I think one of my fondest memories is when they both napped (stroller and backpack) and we just wandered around. Add a big old German beer in Epcot and it was always a pleasent day. Enjoy and take your time.

M&M's is offline A-Ticket holder

One of the best things we did was rent a car and bring our own stroller. We kept our daughter (18 months at the time) on her schedule as much as possible.

But possibly the biggest advice I can give is that she is running this trip. You have to go with the mindset that you will move around slower and do less attractions. This is by no means a bad thing, and as Lou always suggests, it gives you time to notice the little things. Don't try to push her beyond her limits. If you are planning to go to an attraction, and on the way there, your daughter sees something that interests her, stop and let her enjoy it. It may be the simplest thing (like the water spouts at Pooh's Playful Spot for example), but it'll keep her happy, and therefore, it'll keep you happy. Good luck and have a blast!
    Me & my beautiful daughter!
    3 Trips as a yoot w/the Fam (Years ??); June '98 - HS Graduation - AS Sport; May '05 - Honeymoon! - CBR
    Sept '06 - (Late) 1 Yr. Anniversary - POP; October '08 - 1st Family Trip! - AKV

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

My only advice is run the other way if you see Mike Scopa.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

M5ward is offline C-Ticket Holder

We took our year old grandson (son and family) last year and he was a pleasure. He was a little intimidated the first time he was approached by Pooh, but he got over it quickly. He napped in the stroller, fell asleep on the bus, and only had one mini-meltdown (Fulton's Crab House) the whole time; that time was probably our fault for planning too much in one very hot day. We are going again in October with a 6-7 month old (second son's family) and again in January with a 4 month old (youngest daughter's family.) Our three year old granddaughter (oldest daughter's family) went with us in January, and was not quite so interested in napping in the stroller; but her face at CRT was priceless.
    Michele
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on until Morning!
    šoš * ~ ** ~ * šoš

November, 1981 (CR), November, 1983 (CR), December, 1994 (off-site),January, 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), January, 2007 (SSR), November, 2007 (SSR), February. 2008 (BWV), October, 2008 (OKW), January, 2009 (BWV)

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

take a stroller, juice, teething rings. do not go on any wild rides unless you go by yourself. she would be good on quiet ones like small wordl.
    J&J

RandBmom is offline A-Ticket holder

This brings back memories, as I brought my youngest (now 9) at exactly the age you speak of. It was truly a wonderful trip! We did bring our own stroller, and we discovered so many wonderful hidden features of parks (especially MK) when discovering the parks through his eyes.
    First of all, you can spend the entire morning at Mickey's Toontown. He simply wouldn't leave Minnie's Country House; exploring every last detail and sitting on every chair. Ditto for the "park" outside the RR station and Donald's Boat. Older son was 5 at the time, and he had no problem hanging out as well. We also discovered the Laughing Place hidden near Splash, a cool little playground for the little ones too short to ride.
    I truly fell in love with Disney all over again when I discovered it through a toddler's eyes.
    Since we stayed at Poly, we spent a great deal of time at MK. I was staying in the Tahiti building (closest to TTC with a view of the lagoon) and by the second day we timed it that when we saw a ferry boat leave MK for TTC, it gave us enough time to leave our third floor room, take the elevator, walk to TTC and board the ferry with no waiting. I found the ferry easier when using my own stroller.
    Enjoy, and bring a video camera. You'll want to capture every moment of discovery!
    RandBmom