Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss How bad is the WDW in July? in the Vacation Planning forums; Thanks Sarah. Great advice on the umbrella. Get out early in the cool morning. Take a break in the middle of the day, and check things out at night time. ...
    gladstone23 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: How bad is the WDW in July?

Thanks Sarah. Great advice on the umbrella. Get out early in the cool morning. Take a break in the middle of the day, and check things out at night time. My family and I are big sit down breakfast fans when on vacation, but we may have to simplify things for this trip in order to get to the parks 30 - 45 min before opening.

Mrs Potts is offline D-Ticket Holder

Thank goodness for this thread! I, too, was nervous about going in July but now feel much better - Thank-you!
    Disney Dreamin'

DebšošS is offline There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday!
    1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home" resort Boardwalk Villas

We've been a few times in July and August. Dittos to what everyone has suggested.
    In addition: Even though AK has less air conditioning it has more shade. Fewer drink kiosk locations but they offer cups of ice free that you can add to your water bottles.
    If you take the safari during or right after the afternoon shower (and there will be one) you'll see more interaction between the animals.They enjoy the rain

Quick question for everyone. How do you do breakfast if you are getting out to the parks for 8AM or so? Most hotel restaurants don't start serving until 7:30AM.

rocknrollercfan is offline Fastpass Holder
    Waiting to leave WI and go to Disney World

My family usually goes to WDW in July and August because this is really the only time of the year that we can go. I will say this, if you are like me and cannot stand heat make sure you drink plenty of water and try to stay indoors as much as possible. However, I have the best time at WDW and the heat does not bug me that much. The heat is actually a nice change for me. Where I live it is pretty much cold all of the time.

I love Donald Duck

Ashley
    Walt Disney World

smith913 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by gladstone23 View Post
    Hey everyone...thanks for the encouragement. I feel a little bit better about all this! I am just not sure how to approach my ADRs... I have to make a decision by 4/9. I am leaning toward table service at 5PM or 5:30PM and have something quick for lunch. Although it is a good suggestion to cool down with the meal for lunch.
    Booking a bit earlier may save you $$ by qualifying for the lunch prices!
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

If you are on the dining plan I would say to use your snack credits in the morning for breakfast at the parks. You can use them on small things like muffins or bagels. That way you can still get to the parks early and save your table service and counter service credits for later on in the day on your bigger meals.

My family doesn't usually have the dining plan and we like pack quick breakfast items to take with us. We usually have things like poptarts, cereal, or donuts that we can eat in a hurry so that we don't have to waste our morning time on dining. I would recommend getting to the parks as early as possible to get some things done before the major crowds hit, especially since it will be July.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

BusDriver is offline Fastpass Holder

We usually grab a muffin or bagels at the bakery in the park. Another option is breakfast bars, pop-tarts or something similar for early in the morning. You can then grab Brunch later as you get hungry and things start serving. This also helps because it keeps you going on off times, when every one else is eating, you are riding and when others are riding you are eating. Cuts down on lines and wait times.
    My Dream Job - WDW Bus Driver

1975 - First Visit; 1985 High School Band Trip; 1986 Grad Night; 1992 First Visit with two oldest daughters; 1997 First Visit with Son; 1998 Joined DVC; 2003 First Visit with Twins

Many visits staying at Old Key West, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Disney Institute & All Star Sports

Hey all ! Thanks for your reply regarding breakfast. I was really looking forward to a nice sit down breakfast every morning. This is something my family likes to do while on a "normal" vacation. I was getting very confused about navigating all this since the "Unofficial Guide" recommends getting to the park 45 minutes or so before opening time to beat the crowds in July. If I stay at the Poly, my mind is thinking breakfast at the Kona for that Tonga toast, perhaps Lilo and stitch character breakfast or the Boma breakfast buffet and then visiting the animals on the Savanna. I only have five days so... I guess I have to realize I can't do it all. It will be July and the crowds and the heat will be intense. I think getting out early and taking a break mid-day and then going out in the evening is the best way to go. Do you all agree?

Yeti is offline A-Ticket holder

My fiance and I were at WDW for 6 days almost those exact dates last year. It was my first time I had a blast but it was really really packed. It was hotter than hot and it rained 70% of the time. Which lowered the lines from 90 minutes to 40 minutes. I personally dont think I would ever go back that time of year but we had so much fun nonetheless. I think the best time we had was getting to AK early as soon as the park opened we ran to Dinosaur and went on it three times with only 10 minute waits. We saw some really cool shows that helped us stay out of the long lines. We spent most of our time in Epcot and went on Spaceship Earth numerous times and ate and ate and ate and shopped and shopped our way through Epcot's word showcase mainly to stay out of the torrential downpour and lightning. At MK we rode the Carousel of Progress twice in a row to stay out of the rain.

I hope I dont sound like too much of a downer. What we did get to do was really fun and over the six days we pretty much saw everything even if it did require waiting in some major lines.

We didn't utilize the fastpasses as much as we could have because we hopped from park to park at least 2-3 times per day. The fastpasses we did use were very valuable especially for tower of terror, rocking roller coaster, splash mt, space mt, and thunder mt.

Good luck and don't stress. Go with the flow. My beforehand planning did not do much good because of the unexpected crowds and rain. We also met up with my fiance's parents, sister, brother and his family so for one day (the busiest) and we were treking around in a pack of 11 with three kids 11, 8, and 6 and we still had a great time.

SevenSeasLagoon is offline E-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by gladstone23 View Post
    Quick question for everyone. How do you do breakfast if you are getting out to the parks for 8AM or so? Most hotel restaurants don't start serving until 7:30AM.
    Most resort counter service is open before 7:30, isn't it?

SevenSeasLagoon is offline E-Ticket Holder

I think it depends on what you are accustomed to. If you are from the north and rarely venture outside in the summer, it will be hard to take! It is very hot. But it can't be all that bad. We are going back this July

monica31671 is offline A-Ticket holder

My family was at WDW last year from July 19-23. We had a great time and didn't have a problem with crowds. We were at the parks at opening, had a touring plan (Len is a genius), took a break in the afternoon to cool off, and used Fast Pass to it's fullest potential.

Weather is a roll of the dice. Anything can happen. It only rained on us once and we just pulled out the disposable ponchos and kept going. Waterproof shoes like Crocs and Teva sandals are also a good idea.

Have a great time!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Bring ponchos and don't forget an extra poncho for the stroller if you bring a stroller.

aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Just to repeat what others have said, I would definitely do a touringplan (The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World — TouringPlans.com). There is a fee involved but I think it is totally worth it. We didn't follow ours word for word but we never left our room in the morning without our daily route mapped out.

Definitely take advantage of the amenities at your hotel. We always came back to our hotel around 2 and took naps, swam, rented boats out on the lake and bicycles and then took our showers for a night out.

I, personally, think that the attitude we take into WDW is equivalent to how much fun we get out of it. At home I am one of the most structured, OCD, uptight mothers on the planet but I committed myself to "go with the flow", not stress out about lines and time, etc and our vacation was wonderful.
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast