Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss How bad is the WDW in July? in the Vacation Planning forums; Hello everyone! I am traveling to WDW July 8-12 with my wife and two sons, ages 14 &10. After much deliberation, I decided to book the PO Riverside with park ...
    gladstone23 is offline A-Ticket holder

How bad is WDW in July?

Hello everyone! I am traveling to WDW July 8-12 with my wife and two sons, ages 14 &10. After much deliberation, I decided to book the PO Riverside with park hopper passes and the dining plan. This is my second time to the "World". We went in October of 2006 for the first time and it was wonderful. The weather was great and the crowds were modest. I am going this time in July because it is really the only time that we can all take time off right now. We will be visiting family in Boca Raton and then head to WDW for 5 days /4 nights. I have read sooooo many forums over the past few weeks, have learned so much and I am very stressed about what I have read about the July crowds. One site even said not to even bother going at all that time of year. I am afraid of spending lots of hard earned $$$$ and not enjoying the vacation because of the intense crowds. I realize it will be hot, I can handle that, I live in NJ and it does get hot and humid here in the summer. I also work in Manhattan so I am used to crowds. My family and I are not huge roller coaster fans so we are happy with the more mellower attractions and the awesome shows at the parks. We also plan to hit the water parks and book some nice ADRs. I guess I am just concerned that every attraction is going to have a one hour wait! I tend to over analyze things and if anyone out there can calm my fears down I would appreciate it. So....is it that bad in July? Will every inch of the parks be like Fifth Avenue and Rockefeller Center in NYC during Christmas week? Or, Broadway during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade? Wall to wall people? Crowds so thick it takes for ever to get around? Is July a mistake? Will I regret spending so much $$$ in this down economy for not a quality vacation in return? Please calm me down Disney fans!!!
    Last edited by gladstone23; 03-29-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Grammar

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: How bad is the WDW in July?

I live in South Florida and the only parks we go to in the summer are Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. Waiting in line in the stifling summer heat is not something my family will do. Even May is uncomfortable, in my opinion. I'm not sure how bad the crowds are in July because we don't go when it's searing hot.

Bobby2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I have visited WDW in every month of the year. I hail from Chicago and we have humidity and crowds too. It is nothing like WDW in July and August. That heat and humidity is something different. But it is OK if you agree to follow some advice you will find all over every site. Get up early.
    Hit some of the most popular attractions. Mid-Day when the sun is at its highest go back and enjoy your family and resort, swim. It is fun and the break is great. Make an early ADR for dinner. After dinner you are cool and cleaned up as you re-enter a park. Even the ones that stay open late the crowds thin out from those who stayed all day and melted and you will see everything you wish between morning and evening. You are in luck, the crowds are down so much this year due to the economy, even spring break wasn't what was anticipated. Odds are that will continue through the summer. You are already down there so that expense is already covered.

That is good advice! I guess I should think of the day being broken into two parts, the AM and the PM. I guess the trick is to stay committed to getting out early, napping, relaxing in the afternoon, early dinner and checking out the parks and fireworks at night. It feels good to talk about this. I don't know why I am so stressed about this. I guess it is a big investment and I want everyone to have a good time. Thanks again.

That is great advice. Break the day into two time periods and be committed to an early start.
    When you say "early" ADR, do you mean 5 PM?
    Last edited by gladstone23; 03-29-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: grammar

BusDriver is offline Fastpass Holder

I have been to WDW in July and NYC & NJ in the summertime and NYC at Christmas.

First of all, It is NEVER a mistake or a bad time to go to Disney. You and your family will have a blast. It will not be as crowded as NYC at Christmastime. There will be lines on the more popular rides, the coasters and other thrill rides. The advice given is good, to split the day into two parts. However, I have only done that a few days as I am one who would rather stay in the parks, even though we often hop b/t the parks. Use the indoor shows and rides to cool off and pace yourself.

Also, the heat is much different. I live in SE Alabama so I am accustomed to the heat, but I am not accustomed to being in it all day. Taking a day in the middle to visit a water park, or visit resorts &/or DTD is a good way to recharge your batteries. Carry water bottles with you into the parks and refill them constantly at waterfountains.

Above all else, pace yourself and HAVE FUN!!!!
    My Dream Job - WDW Bus Driver

1975 - First Visit; 1985 High School Band Trip; 1986 Grad Night; 1992 First Visit with two oldest daughters; 1997 First Visit with Son; 1998 Joined DVC; 2003 First Visit with Twins

Many visits staying at Old Key West, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Disney Institute & All Star Sports

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

Take advantage of the morning and evening Extra Magic Hours. I've never been in July, but these usually help my family out a lot. Since you've got park hoppers, if you find one park to be too unbearably crowded, be flexible and jump over to another one. WDW w/out park hoppers just isn't an option for my family..we definitely get our money's worth out of them. Hopefully with the down economy, the peak crowds won't be up to their normal standard.

I wouldn't worry so much, it's WDW--you're going to have a blast no matter what! I would just suggest to keep doing your research about the parks and come up with a game plan so that you can cover as much as possible in your allotted time. Have a magical time!!
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

thegoz85 is offline D-Ticket Holder

My family always goes in July. With our jobs, and everybody in school, summertime just works best.

I think you'll have a blast. The parks may be more crowded than some other times, but at least you're missing the July 4 rush! I really can't recall, however, a time when I waited more than an hour for any particular attraction. If you do some of your high-ticket attractions right away, you'll probably be fine. And FastPass can be your best friend if you use it right.

As far as the heat goes, it doesn't bother me that badly. I would recommend table service meals in the afternoon, because that gives you a great chance to cool off and avoid the afternoon sun. I think an ADR around 2 or 3 is good, because you can get something light to eat in the morning and have a nice meal in the afternoon. Keep water with you, or stop every couple hours to buy some. Also, we figured this out from experience: lemonade may not be the best thing on a hot day when you're walking around a lot. It could spoil someone's stomach.

Bobby is right that an afternoon trip to the pool is a great thing as well. You'll cool off and still have some Disney fun! Don't stress out about your trip. I always have fun when we go in July, so I think you'll have lots of fun as well.
    "Every sunset leads to morning, with the promise of opportunity."
    ~Promise

Love Disney? Interested in technology? Read DisTECH! Click the logo to check it out:

Also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Okay, July is crowded and hot, but you will find a lot of air conditioning at Epcot. AK has the least amount of air conditioning and is best in the morning. Come up with a good touring plan from Len's Unofficial Guide and you should still see all you want to do. It may be hard, but plan on breaks and stick to that plan.

Hey everyone...thanks for the encouragement. I feel a little bit better about all this! I am just not sure how to approach my ADRs... I have to make a decision by 4/9. I am leaning toward table service at 5PM or 5:30PM and have something quick for lunch. Although it is a good suggestion to cool down with the meal for lunch.

Can someone please tell me what is Len's Unofficial guide?

thegoz85 is offline D-Ticket Holder

That would be the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, and Len Testa is one of the authors. You can get the book for about $10-$15, and it's packed with info. This is probably the thickest guide you'll find, but you'll get some great tips. Also, check out his site at touringplans.com.
    "Every sunset leads to morning, with the promise of opportunity."
    ~Promise

Love Disney? Interested in technology? Read DisTECH! Click the logo to check it out:

Also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

NorweJenNY is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: How bad is WDW in July?

Quote Originally Posted by gladstone23 View Post
    Hello everyone! I am traveling to WDW July 8-12 with my wife and two sons, ages 14 &10. After much deliberation, I decided to book the PO Riverside with park hopper passes and the dining plan.
    Hey! We've got quite the similar story here for this summer... I'm traveling to WDW July 11-19 with my husband and two sons. We booked PO-Riverside with passes & the dining plan too! There's a chance we might even cross paths!

We've been in July before... just have to pace yourselves... realize that you just might have to stop in the middle of your touring plans for an ice cream or something...

Make sure you're out for an early start each day, and consider relaxing, napping, or swimming in the middle of the day before returning in the evening. I think early dinner plans are good because it will allow you the less-crowded, less-hot later evening hours in the parks.

Someone already mentioned that Animal Kingdom is not that great on those really hot days... least amount of air-conditioned activities... things that will keep you cool in the mid-day heat are the Nemo show (highly recommended), It's Tough to be a Bug, and (if I recall correctly, it's been quite a few years since I did this one...) Dinosaur. Save those for mid-day.

At MK, we avoid Dumbo and the Tomorrowland Speedway mid-day, as these let you bake in the sun, during the wait AND while on the ride! Better first thing in the morning or at night.

Epcot does have quite a few air-conditioned places to be... I'm not too concerned about this one. Even waiting in lines, it's rare to get stuck outside... most lines are inside. Plus, they've got tons of really good restaurants to try, which could make for a nice break for a late lunch or early dinner, keeping you relaxed and cool during a hotter part of the day.

DHS isn't too bad, as it isn't too large and spread out (unlike AK), so you can get back in air conditioning or shade fairly quickly. I believe I remember being a bit warm for the Beauty and the Beast & Indiana Jones shows... they are shaded, but not air conditioned... possibly better earlier or later in the day (or with a slushie or ice cream while you enjoy the show).

I also wouldn't worry too much with crowds... unless your goal is to ride ONLY major attractions (Aerosmith, Splash Mt, Mission Space, etc.) & ride those repeatedly... you should be able to get fast passes for most attractions with a longer wait and enjoy more minor attractions & meals in between those FP times.

Also, remember that if you have a FP time that is approaching, as soon as the starting time has passed (or 5 minutes after), you'll be able to grab another FP for another attraction, so get the 2nd FP (as long as it's not too far away) before riding your first FP ride to save a little time. It can make a good difference if you do face major crowds at some point.

Enjoy your trip!
    Jenny

April 1996 - Off Property
    December 2001-January 2002 - Honeymoon - CBR
    April 2003 - Off Property
    July 2004 - OKW
    July 2006 - Off Property
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - OKW
    June 2008 - SSR
    July 2009 - POR & WL
    September/October 2009 - ASMo

Next Trip - December 2009 - POFQ & VWL

Thanks Jen. This is calming me down big time! I did purchase the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World yesterday at Barnes and Noble. Can I solicit an opinion about his touring plans? Do you all think they work?

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

we have been to disney at different times of the year, seems to be always crowded. yes some rides will be very long. disney does try tohave the lines move quiclkly. your best bet would be get the pass fast for special rides you
    J&J

starxcrossed is offline B-Ticket Holder

I've been in July before, if you plan it right, then the lines aren't that bad. Of course, the most popular attractions are going to have the longest lines, so use the Extra Magic options to get on the rollercoasters and such first. (We did Animal Kingdom really early before it got hot and was able to go on Everest twice with hardly any wait!)

Like many have said, it's better to do the attractions with the most "outdoor" time in the early morning or night. I've been sunburned pretty bad at AK. =/

Oh! And the most important thing! BRING AN UMBRELLA. If you're part cat and hate water (like myself, haha,) a mini-umbrella will make your day during the quick thunderstorms. They don't last more than 10-15 minutes, but like I said, I hate being rained on!

Have a good trip! You're arriving right after I leave!
    s a r a h *
    | April '07 - Caribbean Beach | July '07 - Saratoga Springs |
    | July '09 - Pop Century |August '11 - Animal Kingdom |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast