Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Help ........ I have a non Disney husband in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi chaps!! I could really use some help!! My husband refuses point blank to ever go back to Disney world. He maintains that it's only for kids. I on the ...
    Jenocallaghan is offline A-Ticket holder

Help ........ I have a non Disney husband

Hi chaps!!

I could really use some help!!

My husband refuses point blank to ever go back to Disney world. He maintains that it's only for kids.

I on the other hand am a total WDW freak. I listen to parade music in the car!!

I would love to hear from others who may have had a similar issue and how they overcame it?

I am desperate to go back. I miss it soooooo much.

Thanks, Jen x x

neverland23 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Help ........ I have a non Disney husband

Unfortunatly some people just do not "get it", but do not let others prevent you and/or your kids from going again. Perhaps if you vist another time he could do some other more grown up non park activites. Such as, golf at one of the many world courses, Downtown Disney, Restraunts at EPCOT for a nice dinner, or some more luxorious experinces Disney offers.
    Even if you go by yourself Disney World is still wonderful. You might ask some other friends or family members to go with you.

Try not to force him to go, he just might hinder your or the others in your parties vacation.
    Kati
    91'offsite, 92'Caribbean Beach, 93'Caribbean Beach, 94'Beach Club, 96'Boardwalk, 97' Disneyland Hotel, 98'Beach Club , 00'Caribbean Beach, 02'Animal Kingdom Lodge, 04'Wilderness Lodge, 05'Grand Californian, 06'Beach Club, 07'Saratoga Springs, 08' Beach Club

D23 Charter Member

Drink up me hearties, yo ho!
    Next trip ~ July 19 - 26 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Stitchgirl1 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Hmmmmm, I'm afraid it's divorce time......

KevinFSU is offline A-Ticket holder

I concur with Stitchgirl.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Neverland is right, if you try to force him, he could make it miserable for you and anyone around you. It sounds like he was there once, was he at WDW in Florida or to one of the other parks? Do you know what specifically he didn't like about the parks? Does he not like amusement/theme parks in general or is he looking for big time thrill rides? I think your best bet is to figure out why he doesn't want to go back, that may be the solution to the problem. Also compromise works well, let me pick a vacation spot one year and you pick it the next.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

MissFlaversham is offline C-Ticket Holder

My hubby is not as crazy about WDW as I am either. At first he said he would not go back but then he got into golfing and we also learned to compromise. For one thing, when we do go to WDW, we agree to split up and do our own thing. For example, he goes golfing and I go to the Magic Kingdom or he goes golfing and I go to World Showcase. We always meet later that day for dinner and spend the evening together. He really enjoys Epcot and Animal Kingdom so we visit those parks together.

One thing that is important to note is that I do not have children so I don't know if this would work for you or not.

Good Luck!
    a dream is a wish your heart makes.......
    D23 Charter Member

LockShockBarrel is offline C-Ticket Holder

LOL on my list of potential husband material it goes "sense of humor, caring, disney lover or at least tolerater" I think I could potentially drive someone away with my disney ways if they didn't at least enjoy it a little bit.

MissMello is offline A-Ticket holder

He should understand that there are some thngs that you like and that he might not. I'm sure there are some things that he likes that you just can't stand. Why not ditch him if he doesn't want to go? Let him have some guy time and grab a few friends to go with you. It will be fun and you'll get a little break from him. It's a win/win deal.
    When will my reflection show who I am inside?

"Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here."

MakingScrapbook is offline B-Ticket Holder

My hubby doesn't love Disney as much as I do either.

My kids and I have gone without my hubby before, and he was perfectly fine with it. He goes to be with us when he can, but if he is unable to join us... he doesn't mind that we go without him.

In fact, in March my daughter and I went on a girls trip and had a blast!!!

If you love Disney World and have the opportunity to go... go!!
    Jan

Sep. 2005 - Polynesian
    Sep. 2006 - Contemporary
    Sep. 2007 - Beach Club
    Feb. 2008 - French Quarter
    Jun. 2008 - Off Site, Sea World & Aquatica trip
    Sep. 2008 - Pop Century & Disney "Magic" Cruise
    Mar. 2009 - Pop Century (girls trip w/ daughter)
    Aug. 2009 - POR & Disney "Magic" Cruise & CB
    Nov. 2009 - All Star Movies (girls weekend)
    Dec. 2009 - All Star Music
    Jan. 2010 - Caribbean Beach
    Mar. 2010 - All Star Music (Princess 1/2)

JLWilkes3RD is offline A-Ticket holder

I think you should try to plan a trip to WDW where you cater some of the trip to his hobbies or likings. If he's a golfer then send him golfing while you go commando through the park. If he likes to fish send him on a fishing trip. This why he wont feel suffocated by all things Disney (even though that's what most of us love).

I think the only real kiddy place in WDW is MK. However, even that has its majority of adults rides (i.e PofC or Splash Mountain). Let me know about fun activities such as "Drinking Around the World" in Epcot (about as unkid like as it comes in WDW).

As a man in my late 20's I'm not your typically Disney geek. I play soccer and softball. Watch a ton a sports. People are always surprised when they found out how much into Disney I am. My friends give me a hard time about it all the time. I think people like your husband just don't give it a chance. They key is to get him out there. Once he's there Disney will take care of the rest/
    "You can't run away from trouble. There ain't no place that far."- Uncle Remus "Song of the South"

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

Find out what he doesn't like about WDW or amusement parks and work around it. There are things aimed at kids in every park, but there are adult things as well. Search out the more adult things that you can incorporate into your vacation. Don't be afraid to split up and enjoy different things and then meet up to share your experiences. Entice him with visiting other things outside of the parks so that he doesn't feel smothered with all things Disney.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

There are a couple of good books out there for Disney without kids.
    My husband and I have done Disney a few times without our children and our priorities change for touring. Maybe purchasing a book and mapping out a a mock touring plan + all the other things in the World to do might make him re-think his position. If not I'd travel with the kids or find a girl friend to make the trip with you.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 05-04-2009 at 11:21 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Linnette Alissa is offline A-Ticket holder

I totally understand. I'm not married, but I'm 18 and in college, and for reasons unbeknownst to me Disney is not very "cool" among my friends. I'm still trying to convince them to join me on my birthday trip.

If I were you, I'd try to show him the grown-up part of Disney. Beg him for a trip, dine in the nice restraunts and stay at a fancy hotel. My parents also like to go back to the hotel and disconnect from the craziness for a while. Sometimes they even nap in the afternoon (which is horrible for me, but I bare with it).

PS: Disney parade music in the car is great!

Luna.Bulldog is offline A-Ticket holder

My husband is not as much of a fan as I am either. I've gotten him to agree to one trip every two years. This latest trip I talked him into by planning it all around him (we're going for his birthday). I'm letting him pick all of the restaurants and we're booking the Indy racing experience for him. I'm hoping to slowly bring him over to the dark side! ; )

Jenocallaghan is offline A-Ticket holder

Thank you for the help everyone !!

I still don't think i'm ever going to be able to get him there again but I am thinking of planning a trip with some of the girls that I work with or going out there with my mam and sister one summer (they go every year for 6 weeks).

maybe when he see's the photo he might change his mind!!

Thanks again

Jen x