Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Free or cheap wdw entertainment in the Vacation Planning forums; Hello everybody! My family and I are saying "Heck with the economy, were going to Disney World"! We have been every year since 2005, and can't break the streak! But ...
    HeatherR is offline B-Ticket Holder

Free or cheap wdw entertainment

Hello everybody!

My family and I are saying "Heck with the economy, were going to Disney World"!
    We have been every year since 2005, and can't break the streak!
    But to do this, we are going to stay off property at Windsor Hills on 192. Has anyone out there stayed here before?
    Anyway, the reason for my thread, we are trying to find out "free" things to do at Disney. Any ideas?? What have you done at WDW that was fun and free or cheap at least??
    We know DTD and the things to do around the Boardwalk area. We have a 8year old and 5year old. We are still trying to make this a cheap trip. We are not going to the parks everyday, so we need some free or cheap things to do.
    Thanks!!
    Heather

"Dreams Really Do Come True"

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Free or cheap wdw entertainment

DTD was going to be my first recommendation, it's a great place to go have a little fun with all the different parts of DTD. Even Pleasure Island (although a little more quiet) is much more family friendly since they closed the clubs down. I don't know if you guys have been to the Lego store in DTD but it's a great place for kids cause they can build stuff and outside and everything. Also, like you mentioned, the Boardwalk is pretty fun at night because they have magicians and other entertainers that are great with kids.

Other than that, exploring the Disney hotels on property can be fun. With kids that age they would probably enjoy going to Animal Kingdom Lodge where you guys can walk just outside the lobby and see all kinds of animals. I'm pretty sure some of the resorts run free tours that I have heard are interesting. Also, various hotels actually do activities and stuff that the kids can enjoy. My favorite is the campfire and smores out at Fort Wilderness. They show a movie and I believe Chip and Dale are usually there. They show movies at other resorts too, you just have to call in the days before and ask the schedule.

Winter-Summerland Mini Golf over by Blizzard Beach is not too expensive.

You can usually catch Wishes from outside the park at the Contemporary or Grand Floridian.

You can ride the "Friendship Boats" that go around between Boardwalk, Epcot, the Studios and such. Or the ferry boat that goes from Magic Kingdom to the TTC.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

There is some pole fishing for a minimal fee at Port Orleans Riverside. There are a lot of events at Fort Wilderness like a movie and sing a long- I believe. Don't forget to check out different resort playgrounds? Watch Wishes from the Polynesian beach. The music isn' loud at all so you might want to get close to a speaker but my kids just wanted to play in the beach. My son loved the Beach Club beach. He would have spent hours there!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

We stayed there off site through the 80's before Disney went into the hotel building era, from that point forward we stayed on property. It was actually really nice. We stayed at the Radisson and it was an upscale one with a free breakfast. Coffee shop in lobby with snack was cheap for when we came back in the evening and a lobby bar, also reasonable.

When my son was little we didn't go to the parks everyday. We did go
    "Park" hopping. Playground parks. Every Disney Hotel has one. We also went pool hopping, which is now a no, no.... We also went another evening arcade hopping. DH and I would park ourselves outside, where we could see and let him play some games at each one. The Boardwalk and MK monorail hotels are good for this.

The water pageant parade that goes through the waters of the MK hotels it cool. Twice a week there is a camp fire with smores at POR and I believe GF for around $7.00. POR also has a fishing hole, if you like that, catch and throw back only. The movies, above is fun at the Contemporary. Fort Wilderness is fun to explore during the day. The river boat ride is free from POR to downtown Disney and you'll get a view of the tree houses. I'd just skip the surrey biking, it is a lot of work as is the paddle boats.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

kngdmhrts3 is offline D-Ticket Holder

what about world of sports? ive never been there so idk what its like, the firehouse would be cool to go check out if you wanted to
    Hakuna Matata

"They say Walt Disney World is the Happiest Place on Earth, but they have never been in your arms"

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Resort hopping is a good idea. You could go to DTD for a bit, then take a bus to the TTC and use the monorail to tour the three resorts on the line.

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Sorry - we haven't done the Windsor so no help on your hotel.

Over at Riverside is Yee Haw Bob (Lou covered his show in a pod cast a while back. Sorry I don't know the # off the top of my head).

Couple folks mentioned the Water Parade/Wishes. If you time it right you could watch Wishes & then see the parade. I belive the Poly pipes the music into their beach. Since you have kids let them play on the beach for a while before that (I don't know if the beach technically counts as pool hopping?).

Head over to AKL and the kids can watch the animals. At night they provide night-vision scopes for watching. And used to be in the early evening they had a story teller at the fire pit.
    Zima-Cheryl

HeatherR is offline B-Ticket Holder

Thanks everybody for the input! We are looking forward to our "discovery trip", as we are calling it, I am looking forward to seeing and doing things that we would never take the time to do, because we would be in the parks all day. Since we are not going to the parks everyday on this trip, we will be able to explore.
    It all sounds like great ideas!!!
    Heather

"Dreams Really Do Come True"