Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss August Heat? in the Vacation Planning forums; How hot is it in early August? Does it stay hot late into the evening, early in the AM? From Chicago, not sure what to expect. Thanks...
    mpd49 is offline A-Ticket holder

August Heat?

How hot is it in early August? Does it stay hot late into the evening, early in the AM? From Chicago, not sure what to expect. Thanks

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: August Heat?

I'm from N. IL and it isn't like our high humidity. The heat and real wet humidity is worse down there. We did mid August in 2007 and we got up early, did park. Came back, swam or DTD, nap, etc. and returned had an earlier ADR for the dining plan at dinner and went back to a park. Usually a shower too if we didn't swim. It made the evening enjoyable.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Okay - thanks. That's what I was looking for.

DebšošS is offline There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday!
    1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home" resort Boardwalk Villas

We'll be there again August 8th-14th so I did a search at Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground. It appears 91 is average high and 75 is low. My experience the last few trips in August was high 80's to low 90's. It's Africa hot but the que areas are covered for attractions and there are giant misters setup around the parks. Water is available everywhere and shade. The very high humidity all day and into the night is uncomfortable though. It usually rains around 3 or 4. Each park has EMH so an afternoon break from the parks will be a must to relax, freshen up and eat.

JLWilkes3RD is offline A-Ticket holder

It's ridiculously hot. Mid-Day breaks are essential to survival... However, if you go during mid to late August you'll find much shorter lines (as kids are in school) thus making the heat much more bareable...

don't try to be a hero. drink a lot of water. and take breaks...
    "You can't run away from trouble. There ain't no place that far."- Uncle Remus "Song of the South"

starxcrossed is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by JLWilkes3RD View Post
    don't try to be a hero. drink a lot of water. and take breaks...
    Exactly. If it's anything similiar to July weather (when I went last) I used a spare snack credit on some slushie drinks in the mid-afternoon. It's great if you're on the dining plan! (Also, that Ice Station Cool place in Epcot with all the free Coke drinks is my favorite on hot days!)

I also bought a cheap spray bottle at just sprayed my face and hair throughout the day. I find that the waterbottle/fan device gets a little annoying to carry.

Hope your trip works out! =D
    s a r a h *
    | April '07 - Caribbean Beach | July '07 - Saratoga Springs |
    | July '09 - Pop Century |August '11 - Animal Kingdom |

DebšošS is offline There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday!
    1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home" resort Boardwalk Villas

A cool pick me up if you have a freezer in your room. Freeze your juice boxes, or half full water bottles wrap them in a paper towel then seal in a ziplock bag. You have a cool drink and a cool wipe for your first break

Also keep in mind cold water bottles, cool water filled spray bottles will sweat in your bag. If you do't want a puddle in your bag. Wrap them in a paper towel then into a ziplock bag.

Thanks for the ideas, but let me ask you this - is it so hot / humid that it makes the trip less fun?

Stitchgirl1 is offline B-Ticket Holder

We're from England and we always go in late August through September. It is humid but I think it depends on your health and tolerance.

Technically we should suffer given the climate we're accustomed to here but we're always okay.

I think it only gets really bad if there's a hurricane off the coast because it seems to amp up the temperature and the humidity.

To be honest the best thing to do is just develop a coping strategy, for example ensure you drink plenty, have the frozen fruit lollies or ice cream and dive into an air-conditioned store or indoor attraction if you need to cool off.

Enjoy your trip!