Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Couple of planning questions, larger group going. in the Vacation Planning forums; My mother, sister and I took a trip to WDW last year. Since then our family has grown a bit after my mom got remarried. We've been talking more and ...
    04CP_ Nolan is offline Dole Float + POTC= Good Day

Couple of planning questions, larger group going.

My mother, sister and I took a trip to WDW last year. Since then our family has grown a bit after my mom got remarried. We've been talking more and more about going to WDW again and I'm in a position were I can really help with the money aspect of it. Anyway, what I'm looking at is a trip to WDW for 5 adults and 1 child. Two of the adults being mother and step dad, my sister and myself and 14 maybe 15 year old step brother. The child would be my then 5 year old step brother. Large group to some extent and of course a regular room wouldn't hold us. Looking on wdw.com the best I can find is getting a family suite, but the cost is a little more than I really want to spend. Would it be cheaper to actually get 2 rooms? If anyone knows when they release the Magic Your Way deals, (i.e. April to May Magic Your Way) please let me know. I'd also rather stay in Pop or one of the All Stars. I'm shooting for next February if that helps any, and if you have any other helpful hints please let me know. Thanks for any help.

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Couple of planning questions, larger group going.

When we went a few years ago my Brother, SIL & 5 kids + Grandma & Granpda shared 2 adjoining rooms at POP. With the door between the 2 rooms they managed, but it was tight.

I don't mean to sound flip or anything, but your best bet may be a good TA. They can run rates, find discount codes, and give you the options. I find they are much better at running the $$'s than I.

I belive Beci, who helps w/the e-mail questions on the pod cast, is from Mouse Fan Travel. But I've never used that company. We personally use The Magic for Less & have had very, very great service from them.

Deb, our TA, got our dates and plans then came back w/3 or 4 options. And even since then she's been running codes & deals. We now have free dining & I think she managed to knock another $290 off the price since we originally booked. I never could have figured out how to piece all this together for such a great price. Plus she also has arranged our ADR's & booked our Segway tour for us.

A good TA is invaluable. And it cost you nothing to use their services. For such a big group especially it may be the way to get the best rate for your group.
    Zima-Cheryl

interesting, i may check it out. i remember contacting them for our last trip to get some advice. thank you zima-cheryl.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

What about one of those all star vacation homes,...... Orlando Vacation Homes, Orlando Vacation Rentals, Disney Vacation Homes they are supposed to be really nice or have you looked into renting some DVC points?
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Those are nice, but three of the people going have never been. I'd really rather stay on property so we don't have to worry about transportation. Although I hadn't thought about the dvc points renting. anyone know in general what that usually runs, of course depending on the resort?
    Last edited by 04CP_ Nolan; 07-02-2009 at 05:03 PM.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Sorry I don't know, I've never done DVC but you may want to post a question on the DVC boards.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

so i've been doing more looking. the vacation homes wouldn't work due to the short trip and necessity of getting a car. i've actually been looking at expedia.com for some preliminary numbers for comparison, i'm using MouseFan Travel if we say we are definitely going. we're just waiting for booking to open up for 2010. Anyway, comparing WDW online booking to Expedia i've found these numbers. I use November just because it seems far enough out, but not hugely crowded.
    Arriving on a Sunday (flight)
    4 days and 5 nights in family suite at Music
    4 day park hoppers (water park not needed)
    Departing on Friday (flight)
    through WDW it comes to $3,673.26

Through Expedia
    Arriving on a Sunday (flight)
    4 days and 5 nights in 2 rooms at Pop Century
    4 day park hoppers
    Departing on Friday (flight)
    $3,642.80
    it kind of seems doing 2 rooms is a bit cheaper. these comparisons are just for a general numbers idea, waiting to hear about the August increase and hopefully any application of discounts if possible. honestly i like pop century better, that's why i used it in the expedia numbers. using music on expedia was still a few dollars more than the pop numbers. i hope this all makes sense. any thoughts or tips given these numbers and what august will do?