Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Buying an Annual Pass in the Vacation Planning forums; Does anyone know the best way to actually buy the annual pass, is it online at Disney's site? I have an AAA Membership, D23 and the Disney Visa - are ...
    mpd49 is offline A-Ticket holder

Buying an Annual Pass

Does anyone know the best way to actually buy the annual pass, is it online at Disney's site? I have an AAA Membership, D23 and the Disney Visa - are there ways to use any of these to get a discount?

And just to be clear, if I buy it today (july 9) but my trip isn't until Sept 27th, my "annual" year doesn't start until I FIRST use it, right? Just want to make sure the "annual" year doesn't start at time of purchase.

Thanks

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Buying an Annual Pass

I purchased mine at the disney store. It was actually a voucher that you activate at guest services at one of the theme parks when you get there. That way the day you activate it is your first day. I used it for two trips; late March the first year and early March the next year. It expired the day after we got home. Saved big on our room on both trips and lunch at some rests. Also, got 10% off at world of disney in DD and saved on a couple of tours. I don't know of any discounts for the AP unless you are a DVC member.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

Blackjack Joe is offline C-Ticket Holder

The year for an annual pass starts the first time you use it.
    Joe.

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder

I know that the consistent discounts are only for annual passholders who are renewing their pass and DVC members. The only general discount I know of is that if you can get your hands on a voucher, you can save 10% off your pass (up to 6 people) IF you buy your pass at the parks. You can only get this through a current Passholder though. It came with this installment of the Mickey Monitor (for passholders). You get the voucher from a passholder and you get 10% off and they get a $25 Disney gift card. However, you must buy the AP at a park before July 31.

I would just buy the AP now and begin using the benefits for your upcoming trip, specifically, the discounted room rates. You need to get the pass exchange certificate mailed to you ($3-4) so you can log onto the Passholder site and get the code for your room. Also, there is a rumor that ticket prices are going up on August 2, so I would get them now before they possibly jump.
    ~Ashleigh

mpd49 is offline A-Ticket holder

Done & Done - thanks a ton!
    Whoops, didn't mean for that to rhyme.

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by mpd49 View Post
    Does anyone know the best way to actually buy the annual pass, is it online at Disney's site? I have an AAA Membership, D23 and the Disney Visa - are there ways to use any of these to get a discount?

And just to be clear, if I buy it today (july 9) but my trip isn't until Sept 27th, my "annual" year doesn't start until I FIRST use it, right? Just want to make sure the "annual" year doesn't start at time of purchase.

Thanks
    We get ours through AAA. There's a small discount that way, maybe $15 or so. That's for a FL resident pass. The discount for non-FL residents is a bit higher, but the price is also considerably higher. You can get details on AAA's web site. I don't know what if any discounts are available for D23 or Disney Visa.

I believe you can get the AAA passes online, but we always go into the AAA branch. Either way, you get a voucher that you bring to the park and exchange for the actual pass.

Your year starts either from when you exchange your voucher for a pass, or from when you first use your pass (not sure which because we always do it the same day, as I expect you will). It does NOT start as soon as you buy it. The one exception is for a renewal. Your expiration date is the same year after year, so if you have a pass that expires on July 30 2009, and you buy your renewal voucher before that date but don't exchange it for your pass until months later, your new pass will still expire on July 30 2010.

Be11e is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'm thinking about getting an AP, but I am hesitant because I'm sure if I'll be able to get the use out of it that I would want. I live in NY and do not go down yearly. However after going this past March, I'm dying to go back. I'm thinking of getting one for next late summer and then going the following year in early summer, but there are no guarentees. I heard that you can put the tickets that you purchased towards your AP if you buy it in the park before your trip is over. Is this correct? Is it worth doing it that way if I don't really know but want to book before buying an AP?
    Next Trip: January 2012
    All-Star Sports for Marathon Weekend
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2004 - Disney Cruise Line, Magic
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort

Disney Lover is offline A-Ticket holder

If anyone is going to WDW before July 31st and is planning on buying an annual pass, I have 6 of those passholder pass-along savings cards left. You would get 10% off of each AP up to 6 on a card. The only thing is that you have to purchase it at a WDW ticket window by July 31st. If anyone is interested you can send me a private message and I will get them out in the mail to you first thing in the morning.