Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss What's your secret weapon to remain happy and healthy throughout the (hot) parks? in the Vacation Planning forums; I wouldn't go the Vitamin Water route...it has just as much sugar as pop for the most part. If you want flavor, I'd get something like Crystal Light, they don't ...
    LockShockBarrel is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: What's your secret weapon to remain happy and healthy throughout the (hot) parks?

I wouldn't go the Vitamin Water route...it has just as much sugar as pop for the most part. If you want flavor, I'd get something like Crystal Light, they don't have sugar and have a ton of flavors, even in those little single serving packets. They'll hydrate you much better than pop or Vitamin Water would.

I also thought of another way to cool down if you're overheated. The post saying to put your cheeks on something cold reminded me of the this trick. Soak a bandanna or some napkins in cold water, and lay them over your neck and back. It'll take a few minutes, but it'll definitely help cool you off. Don't forget most counter service places are very good about people asking for just a cup of water or even just ice and not charging. Just be polite and the worst that can happen is they'll say no.

ginnyfavers is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: What's your secret weapon to remain happy and healthy throughout the (hot) parks?

My Camelbak hydration pack! I have two bladders for it. One is always in the refrigerator, cooling. The one I have is this:

charm - CamelBak.com

But mine's blue. I think... it's in our Owner's Locker and I haven't seen it since May 2008! Too long.

I bought Miles a "Skeeter" model for kids, it's supposed to be in the mail to us from amazon.com as I type. I hope it shows up, we're leaving in a week!
    Amanda, Joe & Miles
    Planning my next trip way way way too far in advance...

"I met the love of my life on the Seven Seas Lagoon"

Piglit is offline C-Ticket Holder

My top tip - I wouldn't travel without a pack of wet-wipes.

"Peace, Love & Mickey Mouse"

mad hatter 13 is offline A-Ticket holder

I disagree with whatwasithinking about the water situation. Having been an FL resident and frequenting WDW in the absolute heat of the summer many times, I have done the same thing every time I go. I generally buy 1 bottle of water a day, and refill it every opportunity that I get at the fountains in the parks (my fav is in the land by Soarin'). I drink even when I am not thirsty. I also travel with my GF who does not drink a lot of water regularly, and when we are there, she follows the same strategy that I do, and has never overheated or dehydrated. The key is to stay ahead of the game, and never let yourself get to the point of dehydration. I regularly drink a gallon of water every day anyways, so its usually not a worry for me. Also use your hotel room and the pool. Even if we arent in the world for an extended vaca, we always go to the hotel in the middle of the day just to get out of the sun and freshen up. It really does help. Hope this helps you out! I know it can get pretty hot there!
    Last edited by mad hatter 13; 07-22-2009 at 11:39 AM.

whatwasithinkin is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by mad hatter 13 View Post
    I disagree with whatwasithinking about the water situation. Having been an FL resident and frequenting WDW in the absolute heat of the summer many times, I have done the same thing every time I go. I generally buy 1 bottle of water a day, and refill it every opportunity that I get at the fountains in the parks (my fav is in the land by Soarin'). I drink even when I am not thirsty. I also travel with my GF who does not drink a lot of water regularly, and when we are there, she follows the same strategy that I do, and has never overheated or dehydrated. The key is to stay ahead of the game, and never let yourself get to the point of dehydration. I regularly drink a gallon of water every day anyways, so its usually not a worry for me. Also use your hotel room and the pool. Even if we arent in the world for an extended vaca, we always go to the hotel in the middle of the day just to get out of the sun and freshen up. It really does help. Hope this helps you out! I know it can get pretty hot there!
    IF I was from Fl, my digestive tract would probably be aclimated to the water there too, but Im from New England. And have learned when I travel, do just as the professional athletes, musicians etc. or anyone else that travels all over, and drink bottled water. Heck even the dog show folks have known and used that little trick for years for their show pooches. There is a reason why alot of travelors do this, and its not because their spoiled.

As long as your having fun, do what works for you.
    Last edited by whatwasithinkin; 07-25-2009 at 10:47 AM.

mad hatter 13 is offline A-Ticket holder

Thats too funny...We both are from Massachusetts. I think the two of us were pretty lucky in terms of avoiding gastrointestinal problems. We never had a problem with adjusting to the water when we moved to Florida (I was 19 she was 20). I was just trying to get across the point that it is possible to avoid having to constantly buy water bottles because that can get very expensive very quickly. Especially in the summer there when you really need to have a high water intake to avoid dehydration. I apologize if the post came across rude, but it wasnt meant to be at all. I know people who travel and are very particular about food and water. I have travelled quite a few places for pleasure and sports, and have always been a tap water person. I drink so much that buying bottles for me would cause me to have to get another job!

whatwasithinkin is offline A-Ticket holder

its all good!!

I hear what your saying about trying to avoid the cost of bottled, especially in the parks. My last visit there, if I remember correctly, small bottles of water cost @ double what fountain soda cost and it varied per park. MGM was the cheapest, well not cheap but least expensive for soda or water, Epcot @ 10% higher and MK @ 30 % higher in cost then MGM. All far above the cost of bottled water at the resort cantina's which are also far overpriced compared to the local walmart or bulk store.

edwardsfire is offline C-Ticket Holder

After spending over a year in Iraq/Kuwait, i consider the heat in Florida to be EASILY handled.
    Honestly folks, if you are a little healthy, it aint gonna be an issue.
    But, i find standing in line to be the biggest inconvenience.
    For us, we have found that getting fastpasses all in the am and then using them in the pm...this saves alot of line standing in dead air. (you can easily aquire over 7 passes before you even use the first one you get). Well, the last couple may need to be gotten after lunch.
    And remember, you CAN use a fast pass WELL after the expire time. (some folks, uninformed, think you MUST use them in the window, you dont.)
    ANYtime that day as a matter of fact, as long as its past the return time.
    But as for the heat? What heat?
    thirsty....drink water.
    hot....ride potc.
    hotter....ride splash.
    And imho, the water is fine at wdw.. Or anywhere in the USA, It WONT cause gastrointestinal issues. Water, is water...its all h2o. Unless you are in somalia or something...then id avoid it....;-)
    Last edited by edwardsfire; 07-26-2009 at 03:16 PM.

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

If you're concerned about the water from the drinking fountains (and really, when I go, I drink from them and I'm fine...not from FL!) You can always ask for FREE ice water from any counter service restaurant.

I'm heading down this weekend. I'm a little concerned about the heat because it just hasn't gotten that hot here this summer...seriously, this past Saturday it was 83 and humid and I thought it was unbearable!! In think so far in July we've only had a handful of days that have hit 80...so basically my body just hasn't adjusted to the summertime temps. I've been in the summertime before, so I have a break built in for my one full day. I know to drink lots of water (my brother, who's from FL will be bringing some bottled water for us...I'll refill 1 bottle throughout the day!) And to duck into anything with a/c when the heat starts to get to me (don't forget how cool the bathrooms can be in a pinch!)

The one thing I'm planning on doing every day that I think is really going to help me is bring a change of shirts. My travel days are going to be fairly full days, but I get in late enough and leave early enough that a "break" doesn't make sense. So on those days I'm tossing an extra tee in my bag with my deodorant and changing halfway through the day. I know just putting on a clean shirt and "freshening" up will make me feel a lot better.

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

kleb111 is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by kat228 View Post
    If you're concerned about the water from the drinking fountains (and really, when I go, I drink from them and I'm fine...not from FL!) You can always ask for FREE ice water from any counter service restaurant.

I'm heading down this weekend. I'm a little concerned about the heat because it just hasn't gotten that hot here this summer...seriously, this past Saturday it was 83 and humid and I thought it was unbearable!! In think so far in July we've only had a handful of days that have hit 80...so basically my body just hasn't adjusted to the summertime temps. I've been in the summertime before, so I have a break built in for my one full day. I know to drink lots of water (my brother, who's from FL will be bringing some bottled water for us...I'll refill 1 bottle throughout the day!) And to duck into anything with a/c when the heat starts to get to me (don't forget how cool the bathrooms can be in a pinch!)

The one thing I'm planning on doing every day that I think is really going to help me is bring a change of shirts. My travel days are going to be fairly full days, but I get in late enough and leave early enough that a "break" doesn't make sense. So on those days I'm tossing an extra tee in my bag with my deodorant and changing halfway through the day. I know just putting on a clean shirt and "freshening" up will make me feel a lot better.
    I just returned from Disney 2 days ago. I was a bit doubtful about asking for free ice (I think Tim Foster mentioned doing this on the podcast), but they let you fill you bottle right there at the cart with as much ice as you want. I bought water bottles with filters on them at a natural food store. These are hard core filter meant to filter river water. They worked great! It was just like bottled water without the $4 a bottle.

ME-MM1928 is offline A-Ticket holder

Sitting down in a good people watching location with a Nestle Chocolate Chip Cookie, and water. It gives me a moment to collect myself, and remind myself that this is the most magical place on earth. To enjoy each moment I am there, and see other people enjoying themselves too.
    [link=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/][img noborder]http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/tickers/o49xarwvrilc9y0b.png[/img][/link]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12