Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss What's your secret weapon to remain happy and healthy throughout the (hot) parks? in the Vacation Planning forums; Everyone who's been to Disney knows to bring sneakers, min fans and hats. But what special item real helps you in the parks? For example, I bought a personal cooling ...
    kleb111 is offline A-Ticket holder

What's your secret weapon to remain happy and healthy throughout the (hot) parks?

Everyone who's been to Disney knows to bring sneakers, min fans and hats. But what special item real helps you in the parks? For example, I bought a personal cooling misters for our upcoming trip to beat the July heat. I hear many people swear by mole skin for blister. What's your secret weapon to remain happy and healthy throughout the (hot) parks?

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: What's your secret weapon to remain happy and healthy throughout the (hot) parks?

Quote Originally Posted by kleb111 View Post
    What's your secret weapon to remain happy and healthy throughout the (hot) parks?
    Go to only waterparks in the summer.

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: What's your secret weapon to remain happy and healthy throughout the (hot) parks?

Lots of cool drinks and carrying a side bag instead of a backpack, because the backpack covers most of the back and creats a lot of heat and sweat. Plus the side bag makes you look cool like Jack Bauer.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

wdfan is offline Thinking Orange Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by kleb111 View Post
    Everyone who's been to Disney knows to bring sneakers, min fans and hats. But what special item real helps you in the parks? For example, I bought a personal cooling misters for our upcoming trip to beat the July heat. I hear many people swear by mole skin for blister. What's your secret weapon to remain happy and healthy throughout the (hot) parks?
    haha, i actually wear flip flops
    WDW Marathon '12
    WDW Goofy '13

tmlinz is offline E-Ticket Holder

sunscreen. Not much worse than a nasty burn. Experience talking there......
    The happiest place on earth is where my kids are!

M5ward is offline C-Ticket Holder

My secret? Go in January!
    Michele
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on until Morning!
    šoš * ~ ** ~ * šoš

November, 1981 (CR), November, 1983 (CR), December, 1994 (off-site),January, 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), January, 2007 (SSR), November, 2007 (SSR), February. 2008 (BWV), October, 2008 (OKW), January, 2009 (BWV)

LockShockBarrel is offline C-Ticket Holder

I agree, just don't go in the summer. I know some people are weird about taking kids out of school or they like taking their time off in the summer but to me it just makes so much more sense to go in October or March. Its warm but not "Could someone catch me while I pass out?" hot, the crowds are better and you're not cranky from the heat.

But if you have to go in the summer, frequent breaks, TONS of water, sensible clothing, and not pushing yourself are just the best things to do. As far as a secret weapon, use your common sense. If you're tired, stop. If you're thirsty, get a drink. Taking a cool break doesn't have to mean sitting and missing out on stuff, it could mean taking in an indoor show at World Showcase. Go into the Universe of Energy or Hall of Presidents. You're sitting down, in AC, seeing Disney at its finest. Its a winwin.

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Get a water bottle w/a large opening. Each morning fill it w/ice (all the resorts have ice machines) and take it w/you. As the ice melts you have nice cold water to drink all day.

(And when it runs out, if you ask real nice most places will re-fill it w/ice for you.)
    Zima-Cheryl

dag0620 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Connecticut - Far from Disney - Close to Magic Meets

For me, being in Disney, Just somehow makes the tempature feel much cooler!

But all off the above works!
    -Dave

Summer 04' Beach Club and SOG - Summer 05' SOG and Port Orleans: French Quarter - Summer 06' Boardwalk -
    Summer 09' SOG

DisneyLand Vacations
    Summer 08' Off Property

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

If you are looking at ADRs, you might want to consider a late lunch or early dinner slot to spend 45 to 60 minutes sitting down in the a/c.

neverland23 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Our family reallly doesn't have a problem with the Florida summer heat being from Texas. We go from mid 100s to 90s, so it's cooler for us. haha. In all seriousness summer heat should never be taken lightly. If you ever feel light headed or you are not sweating and dehydrated go indoors imediately, drink water, and if it's really bad lay down on your stomach and place your cheeks on the cool floor. You may look rediculous but it cools you down fast.
    Kati
    91'offsite, 92'Caribbean Beach, 93'Caribbean Beach, 94'Beach Club, 96'Boardwalk, 97' Disneyland Hotel, 98'Beach Club , 00'Caribbean Beach, 02'Animal Kingdom Lodge, 04'Wilderness Lodge, 05'Grand Californian, 06'Beach Club, 07'Saratoga Springs, 08' Beach Club

D23 Charter Member

Drink up me hearties, yo ho!
    Next trip ~ July 19 - 26 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Personally I love the heat. But It can take it's toll. My secret, patience. Go in knowing it's gonna be HOT. And people tend to get cranky. Don't rush, take everything slow and try to go later in the day.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Blackjack Joe is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by M5ward View Post
    My secret? Go in January!
    Similar for me. My last 3 trips have all been in December.
    Joe.

whatwasithinkin is offline A-Ticket holder

I cant imagine going in summer. Between the heat and the crowds...schyikes.

But I was there during a severe heat wave in mid November once. Summer heat and humidity that I have never experienced that time of year ever before. Of the 10 days I was there, 4-5 of them were pure **** hot and humid. The rest were nice.

Ive always said it. Patience is your #1 freind when its both hot and crowded. Drink lots of water. DO NOT DRINK FROM ANY TAP OR BUBBLERS. That is the biggest safty tip I can offer. Unless you realy want the WDW version of montezuma's revenge. Bottled water only. I learned that the hard way.

Use the transportation as much as you can. Its tempting to just walk instead of waiting for Buses, trams, monorails, trains etc. But you end up exerting alot more of your energy this way.

Take advantage of the pools mid day to cool off. Hopefully your staying on property. I found that taking a break midday and hitting the hotel for a cool shower/nap/cocktail and change of cloths works realy well on days that the parks are open late which is most of the time in summer anyway. Go in the evenings when its cooler. MK takes on a whole new magic after dark. It may still be crowded, but I found it to feel alot more festive and relaxed.

Like alot have already mentioned if you dont want the riggers of the hot/humid/crowded parks, dont go in summer. I have gone in October, November and December. November I found to be the best overall mix of cool nights, dry nice rain free days temps mainly in the 70's. And no crowds hardly at all.

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder

Be sure to take breaks! If you can't make it back to your room for couple of hours then head for a restaurant with AC or sit down and catch a parade.

Wear comfortable shoes that are already broken in! Disney is not the place to break in a new pair of sneakers.

Drink plenty of water--not soda. If you're looking for something with flavor, try a Vitamin Water.

Do most of your park touring early in the morning. Try to be at the parks right when they open. The crowds don't arrive until 11a or so. You'll be able to walk on to most attractions in the morning.

Most of all, have fun!
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast