Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Commando Style Vacations in the Vacation Planning forums; On my last trip in August i think i went a little overboard. I was able to go to all of the parks, but it didn;t seem as memorable as ...
    fanboy1217 is offline A-Ticket holder

Commando Style Vacations

On my last trip in August i think i went a little overboard. I was able to go to all of the parks, but it didn;t seem as memorable as it did before. I crammed 4 parks into 2.5 days. it was a lot of monorail and bus hopping.

Friday Night: MK (EMH)
    Saturday: AK, Epcot, Downtown Disney
    Sunday: Epcot, MK, MGM, Epcot, MK (EMH)

I guess since it was my first time in 7 years that i wanted to see everything, but i missed a lot. i went on a lot of rides and other attractions, but there were some things i missed. I did a lot of fast walking and even though i got a lot of video and pictures, it seemed like I missed a lot. When i go back in 2011, my goal is to have the rest of the family go with me for a long overdue family vacation. Our last one was 2001. Also i plan to be there for at least 5 days.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any tips for next time?

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Commando Style Vacations

I think your mindset is what allows you to have a good time. Disney is very expensive so it's easy to fall into the "time is money" mode and rush through to see as much as possible. If you can convince yourself that a quality experience is better than a quantity of experiences then I believe you'll have a better time with less stress.

dag0620 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Connecticut - Far from Disney - Close to Magic Meets

This is what Im afraid will happen on my upcomeing vacation.
    -Dave

Summer 04' Beach Club and SOG - Summer 05' SOG and Port Orleans: French Quarter - Summer 06' Boardwalk -
    Summer 09' SOG

DisneyLand Vacations
    Summer 08' Off Property

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Slow down, enjoy. If you want to see a lot, but not feel like you are just running, try a touring plan from the Unofficial Guide and make sure you take advantage of the break periods in the plan. Even if you do not nap, but relax somewhere in the parks.

GigglezNGrinz is offline A-Ticket holder

I don't know the answer to this...I agree with NC_WDW_Daddy. We go as often as every 2 to 4 years...we save up because we want to stay awhile. It is impossible to "see it all"...but we stay at least 7 nights/8days....and as much as 10 nights....Our last WDW vacation we stayed 14 nights in FL. but 7 were on property...(we also did other theme parks and local attractions)...however I had the fun and more tickets that were good for 14 days and we returned to do downtown Disney (incl. Cirque & Disney Quest) and the water parks...Blizzard Beach opened after routine maintence our last day there...so we did plan accordingly to enjoy it as well as Typhoon Lagoon. It's in the planning and anything less than 6 or 7 days...I feel too rushed to "fit it all in"....I don't want to make it sound as if it's not expensive or we don't have to REALLY save....it is and we do...but it makes it a lot more relaxing and enjoyable...btw..if you can afford a Photo Pass....definately get it....we have soooo many pics now we didn't have to worry about taking ourselves or remembering the camera...or for that matter we could have left it in the room....there is alway someone to take a picture for your memory card and when you get home...you go online...edit the ones you want and they send you a CD...and a photo album (for a charge) with your pics already inside the way you specified and with your personal touches....wonderful deal....

WVParkfan is offline B-Ticket Holder

It is tough. Our first two trips to WDW were conventions, and our third was something that I saved-up for 3 years and surprised the family.

I began to think that it would be years in-between trips to Disney, and that just wasn't good enough. So, I came up with a plan to where we can visit about once per year.

1) We buy 10-day parkhoppers that don't expire, and use them for 3 or 4 visits.
    2) We only go to the parks for 3 or 4 days on our visits, and take one full day off to enjoy the resort.
    3) We only stay on-property, and the last 5 visits have been to "values."
    4) We pack food and eat breakfast in our room. We only do counter service.
    5) And most important... we now drive. It is a 14+ hour drive from our home, and we take 2 days to get to Disney. But, we make the return trip in one shot.

Driving alone has saved us $1000's. By making the small sacrifices that I mentioned above, we are now able to go about every year. Next summer will be our 10th visit.

How does that relate to your original question? Well, because we've now been able to visit 9 times, we've pretty much done everything. Our idea of a fun trip to Disney World no longer inlcudes the commando-style approach of trying to do everything.

One of our visits was over Christmas, and we were only there for 1 day (we were in Florida for a bowl game). We did all 4 parks in that one day. We were mainly there to see the Christmas decorations, so we did very few rides/ shows.

We do the things we enjoy, and we leave other things for our next visit. And there will always be a "next" visit. And once I figured that out, it has made all of our visits just that much better!

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by WVParkfan View Post
    How does that relate to your original question? Well, because we've now been able to visit 9 times, we've pretty much done everything. Our idea of a fun trip to Disney World no longer inlcudes the commando-style approach of trying to do everything.
    This is how we tackle it too. We, as they say, "slug tour" the parks. Every 1 to 1 1/2 years we manage a 3 to 5 day weekend. We pick 2 (maybe 3) parks and just focus on having fun. Last year we did 4 days & spent 3 at Epcot & 1 @ MK. That way you can enjoy, relax & linger.
    We know that in a year or so we can pick a different park(s) to be our focus. By doing short trips & taking advantage of deals & pins we even manage to get to the delux resorts (something we could never afford for a full week).

That said, I realize we are very lucky to be in a location that we can make that trip & in a position where we can afford it.
    Zima-Cheryl