Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Early Entry with AP's in the Vacation Planning forums; Have a question for all you experts....June will be our first trip that we are taking to WDW using Annual Passes. In the past everything has been included on one ...

Early Entry with AP's

Have a question for all you experts....June will be our first trip that we are taking to WDW using Annual Passes. In the past everything has been included on one card (our tickets and our room key). So if we are staying on WDW property, but we will be using AP's to access the parks will we have any problem taking advantage of the Extra Magic Hours? Do you have to show any type of extra ID or anything? There will be my Husband, myself and our 2 Sons, plus my Mom may possibly be joining us for a few days (she has her own AP). If she is not listed on the room will she have a problem getting into the parks with us or staying late with us? Would appreciate any insight or direction!

DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    When we went back in January, we were all issued separate resort cards (passes). We would use our Annual Passes to gain entry into the parks, but would show the resort cards for early entry and to get our armbands for the late stays. Someone has mentioned on this site that a photo ID is needed, but we were never asked for one.

I'm afraid that your mother could have a problem getting in early and staying late. I think it could be a hit and miss type of thing. Some mornings all I did was take out my resort pass and that was good enough for the whole group. Other times, someone physically took possesion of our cards, counted them, and made sure that we had all six passes. Getting into the park early could be the biggest issue, but if your mother wanted to stay late with you and not ride any rides she could do that. The only time that armbands were checked is when riding a ride. She could just hang out with you guys and not ride anything.

Net, net- I would say that she doesn't qualify as being a resort guest. If you are worried about breaking the rules or getting caught you could do what we did on our last trip. We stayed offsite, but wanted to try the early and late hours. We rented a campsite for one night. By doing this we were able to technically be a resort guest for 2 days (the day of check-in and the day of check-out). It was only $38 and a campsite is good for up to 10 people. It was a great way to take advantage of the extras without having to pay a lot or even stay at a resort (we never saw our campsite). The basic cost for this time of the year is $54 a night. If you consider the potential of 8 extra hours in the parks, it could be a pretty good deal.

Let me know if you have any questions. Have fun.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

Chris, thanks for your insight. I started thinking that all I should do is call reservations back and have her name added to the room. We have the AP rate secured so I do not think that there will be an additional charge. It is my Husband, myself our 4 year old (who will be turning 5 while we are there! ) and our baby so she should be technically the 4th person in the room. I think maybe I will check into that. I would hate to have her turned away at the gates for early entry and I would certainly want her to enjoy the attractions and rides with us when we stay late. I appreciate your help!

That is a better way to go. She would be the 4th person in the room, but as an adult there will be a $15 fee per night (fee for 3rd and 4th adult in a room). I don't know why they charge this, but they do. If she isn't staying the whole time be sure to make that known. Hopefully, you won't have to make separate reservations. Good Luck!
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    As a first time APer, just wanted to say I appreciated this thread as I am still educating myself on the APs!!! I hadn't even thought of the extra magic hours and how the AP might effect all these things, thanks!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Don't worry, your AP will not affect your ability to use the Extra Magic Hours. The only thing that will come into play is whether you stay onsite or offsite. If you do stay onsite and have a separate ticket (AP or MYW), be sure to remember to keep your room key/pass with you so you can use the extra hours.

Glad to be of help.
    Chris
    www.DisneyonaDime.com