Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss To Croc or not to Croc... in the Vacation Planning forums; I've read all over the place about the best footwear for wearing in the parks and Crocs seem to be pretty popular. In the past, I've worn running shoes but ...
    thokecin is offline And really bad eggs...

To Croc or not to Croc...

I've read all over the place about the best footwear for wearing in the parks and Crocs seem to be pretty popular. In the past, I've worn running shoes but have still encountered very tired/sore feet and an occasional blister. I'm contemplating buying some Crocs, but haven't really been able to tell if all of the glowing reviews have been given by small, medium, or larger people, male or female.

I am a 6' 2", 235 lb, 33 year old male who experiences occasional ankle, knee, and back pain due to excessive athletic endeavors in the past. I've also had 2 knee surgeries in the last 2 years to repair the worn down cartilege.

Will Crocs hold up in the parks- at least on alternating days? We're going the first week of December, so I shouldn't have to worry about heat from the asphalt, but what about the pounding? Is there anyone out there of a similar size who has had success wearing Crocs to the parks?
    "When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do."

–Walt Disney

8 trips and counting!!!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: To Croc or not to Croc...

I have not worn them, but my daughter has and loves them. I used to wear comfortable high top sneakers with no problems, then switched to a sandal two years ago. The sandals have been fine and dry out much better than the sneakers. One tip, if you do choose running or walking sneakers, bring a roll of paper towels with you. If the shoes get wet during the day, stuff them with the paper towels and leave them overnight. The towels will soak up the water and you will have dry shoes the next day. You can also use newspaper for this, but the print can bleed into the sneakers then stain your socks.

Lissa is offline B-Ticket Holder

My husband is pretty similarly sized and I have pretty significant back problems so between us here's our recommendation: we don't think crocs are the best choice for you. I really think you're better off looking for something with more shock absorption. I always wear Nike shocks in the parks and also use the gel inserts for added cushion. Either way, for sure get them early and break those puppies in! And mole skin. Need I say more?
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow waiting at the end of every day!"

Follow me on Twitter @LissaRFAK

Raising Food Allergic Kids? Visit http://www.rfak.org

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I bought a pair of Crocs at WDW last in the summer of '08, and they literally saved my foot. I have arthritis and I happened to have an arthritic flair when we went. (Lucky me, right? lol)

My left foot was twice the size of my right foot and I took normal shoes. Well my shoe wouldn't fit on my foot very well, and I was just in pain.

I bought some of those crocs and my foot thanked me for it.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    My husband is pretty similarly sized and I have pretty significant back problems so between us here's our recommendation: we don't think crocs are the best choice for you. I really think you're better off looking for something with more shock absorption. I always wear Nike shocks in the parks and also use the gel inserts for added cushion. Either way, for sure get them early and break those puppies in! And mole skin. Need I say more?
    I too have a pair of Nike Shox that I bought back in 2004. They are still in pretty good shape and I did alternate wearing those with another pair of Nike Reax on the last trip. The results were better than previous trips when I had only taken one pair of shoes.

I guess I'm just looking for the ultimate, perfect solution that will make for extremely happy feet.

Thanks all for your replies! Anyone else out there?

–Walt Disney

8 trips and counting!!!

Pluto40 is offline A-Ticket holder

Last time we went for 10 days and I wore a pair of chaco redrocks everyday and my feet didnt hurt one bit, that was a first. They're made with a quick drying material, so every morning i woke up they were dry as a bone and that was without me wearing socks and going on water rides. They have great arch support and are extremely breathable. The arch helped by back a lot too. Theres a video on there website that shows you how their footbed will actually help you take less steps and i believe this to be true. Only thing is I would get them early and break them in if your not used to a lot of support in your arch.

Chaco Redrock at Zappos.com
    Chaco > What Is Bio Centric

catiebug is offline C-Ticket Holder

I've never tried crocs. I typically buy two pairs of tennis shoes (Adiddas brand) and rotate them the entire trip and my husband sticks with Nike's (not sure which style) but he complains about heel pain where as I do not. Maybe a different brand??

We typically take a short trip back to the resort in the afternoon to change and freshen up so I will swap out shoes then as well. If you want to try the crocs I'd do like a few previous posters suggest and break them in first and I'd also pack a pair of tennis shoes just in case something happens while on vacation.
    Sept 2010 Trip Planned!

Thanks everyone!

–Walt Disney

8 trips and counting!!!

wdwfns2 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Whichever Nike "Air" shoe is most comfortable. I had back surgery nine years ago and live in these shoes. Make sure it has the air insole though. You might want to try a running store as the people working there should be pretty knowledgeable in which shoe would be best for you.
    Day 1 WDW Radio
    Keep to the code

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I am small but I had wrenched my back pretty bad a few months before our trip. I alternated my gym shoes with my crocs each day. While a bit odd to look at I did wear socks (the below the ankle type with them.
    My feet, my bad knee and then back seemed to like it. I have since
    worn croc at Disney multiple times, my DD wears her flip flop croc's, I can't do the toe thing.

Citizen of WDW is offline A-Ticket holder

I picked up my first pair of Croc's on my last trip to the world. I found them to be extremely comfortable and honestly, with the exception of my wedding anniversary date with my wife, I've worn them everyday since. I do suggest trying to break them in first. I had blisters after my first day, but after day one, no problems.
    If you enjoyed this cruise my name is Citizen of WDW and this has been the world famous Jungle Cruise, if you didn't my name is Citizen of WDW and this has been Space Mountain.

Be sure to Visit me on Facebook at facebook.com/meko187

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

My kids loved to wear their crocs at the parks. However we did require socks with them plus we put moleskin over the small circle on the inside of the crocs where the strap is attached. This was a suggestion by the nurse at AK. No problems after that!

We also like to wear crocs to go through quickly through security at the airport. We were able to quickly move out of the way- just throw on the shoes and get out of the way. With 4 children, the people behind us were thrilled that we were as quick as we were!

My DH wore his crocs a few days and he had no problems on the days he did this. I would think you would want to try them out a few days where you walk a lot to see how they feel.

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!

Everybody is different - it goes without saying! Personally I love wearing them and find them very comfy!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

I actually bought a pair of the Crocs Trailbreak model. They're more in the style of a sport sandal/shoe but still have that comfy Croc feel. I've been wearing them out and about and plan on wearing them to a local festival this weekend which should provide a decent test. I've found they get more comfortable the more I wear them. The only thing I'll need to change is the socks. I need some different socks that don't have a seam under the toes. If they continue to feel good until our trip, I'll probably alternate them in with my running shoes.

–Walt Disney

8 trips and counting!!!

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!

I just cannot get my brain around the fact that it is a hideous plastic shoe. Maybe one of these days I can close my eyes and put on a pair and pretend they aren't so weird? Wish me luck!
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast