Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Stopping to "Smell the Roses" in MK? in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi this is my first post on this forum and I have a question about my first trip to the Magic Kingdom! My DH and I are headed down to ...
    StillDreaming is offline A-Ticket holder

Stopping to "Smell the Roses" in MK?

Hi this is my first post on this forum and I have a question about my first trip to the Magic Kingdom!

My DH and I are headed down to the World for a day at MK before sailing off on the East Bound Transatlantic cruise in April. It has been my Dream to visit MK and it is about to come true at age 31. I listen to WDW Radio religiously and I know Lou's listeners know a lot about touring, so here is my question.

I want to really enjoy all of the park has to offer without going total commando-style. Any suggestions on ways/places to stop and smell the roses and enjoy the details on my first single day visit to the Magic Kingdom?
    Thanks!

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Stopping to "Smell the Roses" in MK?

Tom Sawyer Island is really pretty and fun to walk around. It can be romantic too, if there aren't too many people that day.

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Walk around and take time to look at all the buildings and learn to look for the small things like hidden mickeys and details in the buildings. Most importantly ENJOY yourselfs!!!!
    Tiffany~ºoº ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Red Helicopter is offline C-Ticket Holder

Welcome, Still Dreaming!!!

My best piece of advice for you is to make a conscious effort to "stop and smell the roses." Remember... 98% of people around you will be in commando mode, storming right past all the details without ever noticing. Don't let them set your pace!

If you think of yourself as an observer... almost like you are a movie camera... and the crowds as part of the ambiance, it makes it easier to step back and really soak in everything that's going on around you.

Oh, and use fastpass as much as possible. There will be so much for you to explore in one day... no point in standing in line if you don't have to.

Have a blast at MK and on the Cruise! Wow!!
    The Red Helicopter
    . . . Always hangin' out around Epcot!

Thanks everyone!

Red Helicopter, I especially like the idea of trying to think like a movie camera, just taking it all in!

I can't wait!

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

Well... There's the castle rose garden... but I'll get to that later. I really do think you need that "movie camera" view as mentioned earlier.

And now, without further adieu.... Some of my best ways to stop and smell the roses!

1. Take the train around the magic Kingdom. This is very relaxing, and is a great way to take a little break or get from one side of the park to the other. Take in the sights and sounds of each land, and think about how much history the trains in the disney parks have. Also, stop by main street station, there's lots of interesting things in there.
    2. Ride the TTA. The TTA is a great way to (again) relax and take in the sights and sounds of the magic kingdom.
    3. Eat! Don't always be on a direct route to a certain area or ride. Go buy a snack (Popcorn, Turkey Legs, Mickey Ice Cream Bars, and Dole Whips HIGHLY recommended!!) and wander the park on your way to your destination.
    4. Realize that you can't do every ride. Do the ones you've always wanted to do, and save the rest for another trip (Once you go, i'm 99.9% sure you'll be hooked and thinking about your next trip the second you leave orlando.)
    5. LISTEN!! There's music all around you. wherever you are in the parks there are background music loops playing, with music that really sets the mood for where you are.
    6. Take time to explore. Tom Sawyer's Island and The Swiss Family Robinson treehouse are great places to explore and find lots of hidden details.
    7. Back to the Rose Garden... This is the PERFECT Place to watch the fireworks from. Tink will fly right over you and the castle is a little to your left, with the fireworks a little to your right. Fireworks are a must for your first trip, and every trip. There are a few planters you can sit on, and we only had to arrive there 15-20 minutes before to catch holiday wishes. (At the christmas party, so it may differ) The Castle rose Garden is located to the right of the bridge that goes from the Hub to tomorrowland if I remember correctly.
    And Finally the most important:
    8. Enjoy it! I know it sounds a little vague, but you just need to go with the flow. Don't constantly have your camera in front of your face... Pictures are cool (and I recommend taking lots), but memories are worth 1000 pictures. Don't rush around, just enjoy your day. Take in your first ever time at a Disney Theme Park.

I hope this helps, Have a magical time!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Be sure to pick up your first visit button!
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

WOW Disney2000! This are some great tips! Are you working on a guidebook on the side? It sounds like you know your stuff.

Thanks!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Welcome to the boards. Force yourself to stop for a snack in each land. With snack in hand, mosey around and look left, right, up, and down in all the shops and buildings. Try to pose for at least 3 photos in each land that are just you and the "themed" backdrop... something that will bring you back to the park after you get home.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I love to find a bench close to a speaker and (while eating snacks!) people watch while listening to the background music. Very relaxing!

The great suggestions just keep coming!

Meeska is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi Stilldreaming, enjoy the forums!

Stitchgirl1 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Great suggestions from everybody! There's nothing quite like that first visit to the Magic Kingdom....

The key is definitely accepting that you can't do everything but just soak up the day and keep things to remind you of your trip eg mickey confetti, streamers, buttons etc.

If crowds get overwhelming take a time out - I suggest hopping onto the monorail to the Grand Floridian and taking afternoon tea in the garden view tearoom.

Most of all - Enjoy yourselves xxx

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

You can literally stop and smell the roses by taking a bench in the rose garden. There are great seats along the canal where you can sit and relax. I'll often go down and read, or close my eyes and take in the sounds all around me.

williams is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Disney2000 View Post
    Well... There's the castle rose garden... but I'll get to that later. I really do think you need that "movie camera" view as mentioned earlier.

And now, without further adieu.... Some of my best ways to stop and smell the roses!

1. Take the train around the magic Kingdom. This is very relaxing, and is a great way to take a little break or get from one side of the park to the other. Take in the sights and sounds of each land, and think about how much history the trains in the disney parks have. Also, stop by main street station, there's lots of interesting things in there.
    2. Ride the TTA. The TTA is a great way to (again) relax and take in the sights and sounds of the magic kingdom.
    3. Eat! Don't always be on a direct route to a certain area or ride. Go buy a snack (Popcorn, Turkey Legs, Mickey Ice Cream Bars, and Dole Whips HIGHLY recommended!!) and wander the park on your way to your destination.
    4. Realize that you can't do every ride. Do the ones you've always wanted to do, and save the rest for another trip (Once you go, i'm 99.9% sure you'll be hooked and thinking about your next trip the second you leave orlando.)
    5. LISTEN!! There's music all around you. wherever you are in the parks there are background music loops playing, with music that really sets the mood for where you are.
    6. Take time to explore. Tom Sawyer's Island and The Swiss Family Robinson treehouse are great places to explore and find lots of hidden details.
    7. Back to the Rose Garden... This is the PERFECT Place to watch the fireworks from. Tink will fly right over you and the castle is a little to your left, with the fireworks a little to your right. Fireworks are a must for your first trip, and every trip. There are a few planters you can sit on, and we only had to arrive there 15-20 minutes before to catch holiday wishes. (At the christmas party, so it may differ) The Castle rose Garden is located to the right of the bridge that goes from the Hub to tomorrowland if I remember correctly.
    And Finally the most important:
    8. Enjoy it! I know it sounds a little vague, but you just need to go with the flow. Don't constantly have your camera in front of your face... Pictures are cool (and I recommend taking lots), but memories are worth 1000 pictures. Don't rush around, just enjoy your day. Take in your first ever time at a Disney Theme Park.

I hope this helps, Have a magical time!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Be sure to pick up your first visit button!

Wow!! Nice to hear that you are having good experiences! It is also very nice to hear someone saying something nice about Smell the Roses" in MK.All tips are very nice organize. Thank you so much.

Regards,

edwardsfire is offline C-Ticket Holder

Im 39 years old....and to this day, i get a huge kick at those "caverns" underground (well not really underground but it seems like it )at Tom Sawyer island.
    One would be suprised at the amount of people that dont know they exist.
    Last edited by edwardsfire; 12-07-2009 at 12:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast