Your Walt Disney World Information Station

View Poll Results: Would you take your children out of school to visit Disney at a less crowded time?

Voters
37. This poll is closed
  • Yes

31 83.78%
  • No

6 16.22%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Keep Kids in School or Take them out? in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by Triviateer Teachers love it when the office calls and asks them to have little Mickey's or Minnie's homework for one or two weeks ready at the end ...
    Billie is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Triviateer
    Teachers love it when the office calls and asks them to have little Mickey's or Minnie's homework for one or two weeks ready at the end of the day; especially if they are going on vacation. And they love it even more when the children get back and they have to grade it, and not to mention trying to catch little Mickey or Minnie up with the class. The best thing is that usually Mickey and Minnie love to tell their classmates about their vacation at the most inappropriate times.

I know most parents wouldn't care if the teacher took a couple weeks off in January or February to go to Walt Disney World to get away from the cold and snow--would they? Who cares about school anyway? The teachers don't teach anymore, or care for the children. All they are interested in is their big paychecks (most teachers make at least $100,000 a year) and four months of vacation they get every year. As they say, "Those that can do; does that can't teach!"
    Wow! So much sarcasm... I thought I was bad. I suppose what I should have stressed was to talk it over with the teacher before, as in a week or two or three before leaving. Enough time for the teacher to get the work together. I'm not saying let the teachers alone deal with the missing time and lessons- it's the parents responsibility to work on it too. Most teachers would not mind taking the time to help out a student, especially if that student's parents are taking an interest and are planning to help.

Of course you shouldn't do this if your child will have a problem catching up. And perhaps you should stress appropriate vs inappropriate times to chat to other students. Most children who will do this will do this regardless of where they went- Disney World or just out to dinner. That is a separate issue.

Sure it is asking the teacher to do a little more work, but all in all it isn't much if your child can control themselves and learn that they have to earn the vacation. Besides, most teachers I know love their work, love the children, and don't mind so much doing a little extra work for their happiness. I know that teachers deserve higher pay, but again, that's a separate issue and don't make the children suffer because of it.

If you're afraid that taking your child out of school for a week or two will leave them with a jobless future, I'm afraid for both you and your children. Things happen, or will happen, that will disrupt the education process at some point.

"Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.
    We pillage, we plunder, we rifle, and loot,
    Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.
    We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot,
    Drink up me 'earties, yo ho.
    Drink up me hearties, yo ho!"

-Jessica/ Billie Q

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    The kids you see walking the mall, on ridilin, are the ones whose parents never took them out of school to go to WDW. In fact, they are the ones whose parents spend as little time with them as possible. I took my three children out of school all through their school years, even through high school. None of them were stellar students, however, they have all grown into successful adults. Successful being my definition, not the world's. They don't make baskets of money (yet), but they are happy, independent, caring people. I believe, I KNOW, it it because I invested time in my children. You NEVER caught one of mine wandering about the mall unless WE were shopping together. Take a kid out of school for a family vacation??? You're darned tootin'!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I get the strong impression that some of the teachers in various areas in the US are not up to par. Please remember that teachers are humans too. I agree that there are some teachers who don't teach anymore and some who need to retire and almost all would/need to get a life outside of their job. Most people wouldn't do what I do for anything else in the world but feel free to slam teachers at the drop of the hat. Imagine saying things like this to a doctor or a politician (oh what we could say to them). There is a lot of pressure with "No Child Left Behind" anymore and many state laws that mandate how much time a child can miss school. Check into what your district requires.

Parents have the final say in if their child should be out of school for any length of time. If there is advanced warning (not the day before you leave), most teachers can and will adjust to help with this. If they don't, then go to the administration. While they still might not like it, you have to do what is best for your child. I agree with the quote that was made that your child will remember the time together at Disney more than those days at school.

As for earning $100,000 a year-Where and sign me up! I would love to actually get paid for my master's degree that I paid for out of my own pocket, in my spare time, while grading papers, having conferences, buying supplies out of my pocket, dealing with sick kids, having conferences, getting staff development hours, and making sure the kids are safe.

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    another idea, a buddy of mine, just got off the phone with him and the topic came up, took his kids out of school for a Disney vacation. a few weeks before they tolds the teachers, and got the assignments up to the point they'd be out.

the assignments that would be due while they were gone were handed in before they left, so they walked back into class that monday morning right up to speed with everyone else.

every family is different, every parent is different, every child is different, and even every teacher is different. there is no 'one size fits all' response to this. know your child, be involved in their lives, and be honest with your parenting skills. unfortunately, to many people blame their bad/lack of parenting skills on any other thing they can (e.g., music, games, peer pressure, etc.)

as my buddy said, he's very active and up to par on his kid's lives and knew that they could pull ahead with their studies and manage the time off. i on the other hand did not have parents who were that involved with my life and can honestly say that when i was younger a week off of school for Disney would've killed me (scholastically speaking).

again, know your kids, know your parenting skills, then make YOUR decision for YOUR self.

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Snwht, I hope you didn't take MY post as a negative reflection on teachers! On the contrary, it was a negative reflection on PARENTS, or so-called parents, people who give birth to children but neglect to do any parenting. If you are a teacher, then you know exactly what I am talking about. I hear **** all the time about how the schools are not teaching anymore and how little Johnny is dumber than dirt. Mind you 90% of the time this is from a "parent" who can't even begin to tell you what Johnny's teacher's name is, let alone what he is learning this week in Math, Language, Science, etc.
    I totally agree that teacher's are underpaid and overworked, undersupported and overblamed. You are right, there is NO WAY I would take your job!

I know that parents make the education for the child. I have found that when parents are involved, the child will succeed. It doesn't matter if they go for a week to WDW-I feel it helps make a bond that goes beyond anything that I can teach! Parents are the true teachers.

I love my job and wouldn't have any other. I wouldn't do what many of you do for anything either. When I retire, I am moving to Orlando and plan on working for the Mouse. I will need to supplement my retirement check!

Triviateer is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Many teachers in the big eastern cities make that and more for doing nothing.

The best paid teachers in the nation, when based on average salary per student, is New Jersey whose average class size is 13.3 students and the teacher earns an average of $3,320 per pupil. The worst in the nation is Utah where the average class size is 21.9 students and the average pay per pupil is $1,700
    Last edited by Triviateer; 05-03-2005 at 03:07 PM.
    "The greatest happiness in life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves." --Victor Hugo

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    i am going to agree with most of everyone here...my parents took us out of school up until i was in high school. we would get our homework and some classwork for the week and try and finish it all on the plane. whatever was left was done in the hotel room with my parents making sure it was all done. i couldn't tell you what i missed in school but i could write novels about the great memories i have of being in disney with my family. this was and still is our yearly family trip and the memories keep coming! so i think it's safe to take your 6 yr. old out of school.
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

Triviateer is offline B-Ticket Holder
    6.2 million
    Number of all teachers in the United States. <http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/eeoindex/page_c.html?>

71%
    The percentage of teachers who are women. <http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/eeoindex/page_c.html?>

8.4%
    Proportion of teachers who are non-Hispanic black. Another 5.5 percent are Hispanic, 2.9 percent are non-Hispanic Asian and 0.5 percent are non-Hispanic American Indian and Alaska native. <http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/eeoindex/page_c.html?>

3.1 million
    Number of elementary and middle school teachers. These teachers, of whom 79 percent are women, comprise about half of all teachers. The remaining teachers are made up of:

Number
    Percentage women
    Preschool and kindergarten
    Secondary
    Postsecondary
    1.1 million
    Special education
    Other teachers and instructors

<http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/eeoindex/page_c.html?> $54,300
    Average annual salary paid to public elementary and secondary school teachers in California — highest of any state in the nation. Teachers in South Dakota received the lowest pay — $31,300. The national average was $44,700. See Table 250: <http://www.census.gov/prod/www/statistical-abstract-03.html>.

$101,200
    Average annual salary paid to private college professors. Their public college counterparts made an average of $84,100 per year. See Table 294: <http://www.census.gov/prod/www/statistical-abstract-03.html>.

17%
    Percentage of public elementary and secondary school teachers who are under 30 years old. A similar ercentage (19 percent) of their private school counterparts fall in this age group.
    See Tables 249 and 263 at <http://www.census.gov/prod/www/statistical-abstract-03.html>.

51%
    Proportion of public elementary and secondary school teachers over 50 years old whose highest degree is a master’s. About 2 percent of these older teachers have doctorates.
    See Table 249: <http://www.census.gov/prod/www/statistical-abstract-03.html>.

The projected increase in the number of postsecondary teachers this decade. The number of elementary school teachers is projected to grow by 202,000. See Table 617:
    <http://www.census.gov/prod/www/statistical-abstract-03.html>.

Average number of pupils per elementary and secondary school teacher.
    See Table 248 at <http://www.census.gov/prod/www/statistical-abstract-03.html>.
    "The greatest happiness in life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves." --Victor Hugo

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Kids should stay in school they learn so much these days

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Winnie/Beth-

I'm not voting in the poll or telling you what you should or shouldn't take your child to WDW during school. This hot topic (one of several) comes up very frequently on various Disney boards and can often get nasty. I'm not a parent (yet?) nor am I teacher. Ultimately, you have to make the decision that's appropriate for your family.
    You know your situation better than some people voting in a poll on the internet. Good luck in whatever you decide!

P.S. Sorry, the thread you seem to have started has been hijacked a bit.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    WOW!!! I can’t believe how this thread is taking off. There are some strong opinions on this subject. But I have to agree with those who say it okay to take the kids out of school. I took my two out last year in May and it was their first time going and they were 6 and 10 at the time in the 1st and 4th grades. But what I did to combat any problems from the teacher were to inform them in the beginning of the school year that the girls would be out in May for a week and I would like to get all home work and class work that they would missed to take with us. Now needless to say my youngest child’s teacher just said she wouldn’t really be missing any thing so she really couldn’t give her anything, but the oldest child’s teacher wasn’t so hot for the idea but she did give me some work and told me she would have to make the rest up when we got back. (And this from a teacher who actually the day that we were leaving said tells Mickey hi because she such a Disney fans). What actually end up happening was both teacher gave each child things to work on and what I did was take 2 hours out of each day that we were down there and they had to study and do there work. I know this sound next to impossible especially being their first time down there and being extremely overexcited as soon as they walk off the plane (there an actual picture of my girls in the member gallery in front of the Disney entrance saying yeah we are at Disney so this will give you an idea of how really excited they were) but they did do their studying and work with little to no fight and plus it gave them time to rest in between parks and walking. We are going back this year on October 27 but what I did this time was we are leaving Thursday evening so they are actually going to go to school that day and be picked up at about 2:00 (they attend Private school so there out about 2:30 normally) so since that was almost the end of the school day they will only be missing the last ˝ hour of school that day and all day Friday then you have the weekend and then they would miss that Monday and coming home that Tuesday morning and would be back at school on that Wednesday. So they are actually going to be missing just three days. So I don’t think they will be missing a great amount of work in three day. This time I’m not getting the home work because it actually going to be three days of school missed. Now Last time we stay for 10 days and we left that Friday they did go to school that day and they missed that following week and we came back that following Monday. To be quite honest my kids were just finding when they got back because they basically made up the work they missed and they are not warp for taking the time off. Also I always said I would never go back down in the summer, Easter, or Christmas I have done that when I was younger and actually remember those as the times when I never had that much fun because it was extremely crowded. I always had fun when we went off season (and course when I got to get out of school on non-holiday just to go down) but my mom always seemed to plan our trips like me so I wouldn’t be missing so many days and if I was going to be missing days quite a few days I did get my class work and made up any I missed when I came back and I was find with that. So I think you will be just find taking her out.
    . Plus I agree there are a lot of educational things to do down in Disney especially in the Animal Kingdom and you could turn the trip into one big Field Trip. It just my opinion.

Last edited by JEDIPRINCESS; 05-03-2005 at 04:12 PM.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

to JediPrincess- What a great way to combat some of the problems listed in this thread! I still think that it would be a great idea to take your kids out for this type of trip-if it is what is right for your family and your child. It does make a big difference what grade level and how many days are going to be missed. If someone missed the next two weeks of my class, they would miss their entire research paper. However, if they came back with a detailed report, I would accept that with no problems. It all depends on the teacher and how you approach them.

To Triviateer-beware of averages. According to our district, the average salary is about $25,000 more than I bring home (with 13 years experience and a Master's Degree) and our student ratio is about 8 fewer kids per class period . (Cost of living makes a big difference in why states are so far apart on salaries) I do respect your opinions and the thought you have put toward this. When I get a chance, I will check out the links.

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player

And a class act if I may say so.

~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    I LOVED being taken out of school when I was younger for a Disney trip!!! I say DO IT....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast