Your Walt Disney World Information Station

View Poll Results: Would you take your children out of school to visit Disney at a less crowded time?

Voters
37. This poll is closed
  • Yes

31 83.78%
  • No

6 16.22%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Keep Kids in School or Take them out? in the Vacation Planning forums; You have to excuse me when it comes to taking about the public schools and public school teachers. I just have this thing about them bellyaching all the time about ...
    Triviateer is offline B-Ticket Holder
    You have to excuse me when it comes to taking about the public schools and public school teachers. I just have this thing about them bellyaching all the time about how poorly they are paid. They don't/won't tell you they have, in most cases, free or low cost health/dental/optical/life insurance available to them and a teacher retirement plan most do not pay into. Most have husbands or wives who are teachers, or big shots. I just wish they would have to work for a living like I did. I just got sick of the bellyaching and having to pay fees and book rental every year on top of my taxes, which go up every year too.
    "The greatest happiness in life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves." --Victor Hugo

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBabe

And a class act if I may say so.

I'll second that MickeyBabe. And as a friend of mine just got hired in to the public school in my district, I can tell you, if it matters, that she will be earning $32,000 a year, has a bachelor's degree in elementary education and a master's in child psychology, and has 22 students in her class.

I still love and support our public education system. It isn't perfect, but I still think it's amazing.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    I went to college for one year to become a teacher.. I reall changed my mind when I began student teaching.. Me and 17 kids all at once!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH I dropped that real quick!!! I give teachers all kinds of props.... I couldn't do it!!! But I still say TAKE THEM OUT FOR A WEEK.... It won't damage them for life...

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thank you everyone for your comments so far! This has really helped open the eyes up of everyone involved in the family. My brother-in-law and sister ulitmately have the final decision as it is their daughter.

I also apologize if anyone took it that I was bragging about my niece and how well she is doing in school. I was just trying to explain why I was posting this poll.

To join into the debate about Public School Teachers (Stepping onto my soapbox):
    To support the teachers in my area of Michigan, I am very proud of many of the teachers in the schools here. I will brag that my brother-in-law is very dedicated to his students and school. He is a Math/Science High School teacher. He expects a lot of out his students as well as gives them many chances to succeed. After assisting with grading papers for him on several occasions I can say it isn't always the teacher who is responsibile, it is just as much the students and their guardians. There has seemed to be a good sized percentage of students who never do what is expected of them and fail tests, quizzes, and homework assignments. My brother-in-law is a coach in all 3 seasons of events. He spends more time at school than home at times. He often goes into school at 5:30 a.m. and has an open door policy that any student can come in before or stay after to receive assistance. Rarely the students take advantage of this, especially those that are failing. There are MANY teachers who put forth the same effort towards their classes as well. I believe it is a joint effort in assisting a child to succeed, teachers and guardians. If their isn't the support or guidelines outside of school, it is unfair to expect a teacher to take on all of the responsibility. (Stepping off my soapbox now! )

I just hope that my nieces teachers are flexible to assist us if we take her out of school to visit Disney!
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 – Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Enjoy your trip and the time with your niece- if it all works out.

THANK YOU ! :mickey:
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)

cassandra ray is offline A-Ticket holder

Wink Don't listen to the teachers

Hello:
    I have been to DL three times and to WDW twice. I just got back from WDW on Monday. I took my 16 year old out of school. I didn't bother his teachers with any work, we just told them where we were going and they felt that he would learn at WDW. There are all sorts of interesting things they can learn at WDW. Epcot is full of stuff for kids to learn. Taking the kids out of school isn't that bad, but I suggest that you tell the school why the student will miss these days, but don't bother the teacher to get homework together. The teachers have enough to do. Treat the event like the student was sick and everybody is happy. Take your child out of school. The experience at WDW is worth it as well as DL.:mickey:

Geppetto is offline A-Ticket holder
    Old Geppeto says take the kids to Walt Disney World! Look at all they can learn there:

Economics: Supply & Demand = The kids demand it and you supply it!

Math: See, Mom and Dad had this much money before we left for WDW; now we only have this much money to pay our bills next month.

Foreign Language: Hear languages from around the world, including cuss words and novel hand gestures.

English and Speech: Read the signs for Dad before he gets lost again. Don't you wish you had a voice/could speak like the man on the Monorail?

Science: What exactly was in that "protein spill" outside of Mission Space?

Social Studies: What is the capital of Morocco?

Family and Consumer Sciences (formerly Home Economics): Don't you wish Mom/Dad could cook like this?

Geography: Where exactly is the restroom near Norway?

Industrial Technology (formerly Industrial Arts/Shop): How'd they do/build that?

Sociology: See how nicely all these different people can get along?

Physical Education: See, don't you wish now (after walking 5 miles) you would have dressed for PE, instead of smoking those cigarettes/joints in the locker room?

Health/*** Education: Old Geppetto will let you provide your own answer for this one!
    Last edited by Geppetto; 05-05-2005 at 02:05 PM.
    "Good Geppetto, you have given so much happiness to others. You deserve to have your wish come true."

"Geppetto buono, lei ha dato cosí molta felicitŕ agli altri. Lei il derserve di avere il suo desiderio si č realizzato."

Quote Originally Posted by Geppetto
    Old Geppeto says take the kids to Walt Disney World! Look at all they can learn there:

Economics: Supply & Demand = The kids demand it and you supply it!

Math: See, Mom and Dad had this much money before we left for WDW; now we have only this much money to pay our bills next month.

Foreign Language: Hear languages from around the world, including cuss words and novel hand gestures.

English and Speech: Read the signs for Dad before he gets lost again. Don't you wish you had a voice like the man on the Monorail?

Science: What exactly was in that "protein spill" outside of Mission Space?

Social Studies: What is the capital of Morocco?

Family and Consumer Sciences (formerly Home Economics): Don't you wish Mom/Dad could cook like this?

Geography: Where exactly is the restroom near Norway?

Industrial Technology (formerly Industrial Arts/Shop): How'd they do/build that?

Sociology: See how nicely all these different people can get along?

Physical Education: See, don't you wish now (after walking 5 miles) you would have dressed for PE, instead of smoking that cigarette in the locker room?

Anatomy: Old Geppetto will let you provide your own answer for this one!

OH HOW TRUE THESE STATEMENTS ARE!!! LOVE THE ECONOMICS AND MATH!

Geppeto - I LOVE IT!!!!! I even copied your response and posted on my bulletin board at work!
    Thank you for the HUGE smile you put on my face when I read this! I even copied it for my sister to read to my brother-in-law!

Met the Petermans!)

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Way to go Geppetto.

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    I'll have to disagree with Geppetto, kids should stay in school and go to Disneyworld during vocation unless its a day trip on the weekend.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123