Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss What Should we do to max our time in the Vacation Planning forums; We are heading down to WDW August 28th. It is a Sunday, and we will be getting in at around Noon. I guess we will check in, and let All ...
    PA. Chris is offline A-Ticket holder

What Should we do to max our time

We are heading down to WDW August 28th. It is a Sunday, and we will be getting in at around Noon. I guess we will check in, and let All Star Sports worry about getting the luggage to our room. What should we do first? We have premium Park Hopper Tickets, so we can do anything. Will It be crowded at that time of year?
    I heard that you don't want to be in the MK on weekends. Should we go to Epcot and have dinner at the Coral Reef?

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Hmm... How many days will you be at Disney?

If you don't have tons of days on your tickets, maybe spend a half day at Downtown disney so as not to shoot one of your park days in the parks for a half day.

Or, do one of the smaller parks, like MGM-where you can likely do many of the rides and shows, and devote more of your full days to the other parks, like Epcot and Magic Kingdom.

If you love aquariums, sure make a priority seating reservation for Coral Reef if it is a must do for you, it might be busy the end of August.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Thanks for the info. We will be there for 7 nights......8 days We have 7 day park hoppers....and the following Sunday is our "leave" day with an 11am flight.....so the day we arrive we have to use our tickets, or we waste a day of tickets. I was thinking that out of the other 6 days we would spend 1 day in the MK, 2 days in epcot, 1 day at blizzard beach, 1 day at mgm, and 1 day at the animal kingdom. (We seem to like epcot the best). I just wasn't sure what would be good to do on a Sunday afternoon/eve. considering we are there from 8-28 to 9-4, will the park be open late ?

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!

Just wait it out

When they announce the park hours, then maybe you should make up your mind where to go. For instance, if Animal Kingdom closes at 6pm and the Magic Kingdom is open until 10pm, your best best is Magic Kingdom - to get your money's worth, so to speak.

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I would agree with GaRain. When the park hours come out, look and see what is open late and go there. If you want to hit water parks, I think afternoons are great for that, or say, if MK is open late, you can do a days worth starting in the afternoon-hit the rides and say around until the fireworks at night. I would avoid AK on that day as it usually closes earlier than others and I dont' know that you will get your day's worth out of it that day.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Thanks for the Input. So You Would STILL go the the MK on an Sunday.....because of the long hours? I had heard that the MK is more crowded on the weekends. Do you know if the parks will be really crowded ? We saw that August is bad, but September is great.......I booked from 8-28 to 9-4 hoping many families will be spending that time "getting ready" for school.....and I know lots of schools start before Labor Day....maybe it is wishful thinking. how soon does Disney let people know what their hours will be?.....and will there be any chance of an E-ride night ?

Quote Originally Posted by DissyLove
    I would agree with GaRain. When the park hours come out, look and see what is open late and go there. If you want to hit water parks, I think afternoons are great for that, or say, if MK is open late, you can do a days worth starting in the afternoon-hit the rides and say around until the fireworks at night. I would avoid AK on that day as it usually closes earlier than others and I dont' know that you will get your day's worth out of it that day.

Where in Michigan are you from DissyLove?

The only reason I'm asking, is I have lived my whole life in Philly, but my inlaws live in West Bloomfield, Mi, my parents lived for 5 years in Saginaw, Mi., and My Brother In Law lives in Muir Michigan.

Cindertina is offline A-Ticket holder
    I would avoid MK on Mondays which are reported to be its most crowded day and avoid the park that opens early that day, those parks tend to be the most crowded when they open early. Then tend to lighten as the day goes by if you want to hop over to another park in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindertina
    I would avoid MK on Mondays which are reported to be its most crowded day and avoid the park that opens early that day, those parks tend to be the most crowded when they open early. Then tend to lighten as the day goes by if you want to hop over to another park in the afternoon.

Thanks -- I had heard that. I heard that You should go into the park early for a couple of hours, then leave and go somewhere else. Where can you find out when the park is opening early AHEAD OF TIME so you can plan....?????

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!

Many places

Disney tends to release park hours about a month ahead of time. But you can usually notice a trend. You can check their website directly for hours or the many helpful sites such as here and WDWig.com.
    Also - I would avoid the Magic Kingdom on Saturdays and Mondays. You also want to pay attention to Extra Magic Hours - always the chance to do this if you are staying onsite. Then if the park is open even later for those guests, you will definately get your money's worth.
    Just be a little patient, gather all your info and make a decision then.

Quote Originally Posted by GaRain
    Disney tends to release park hours about a month ahead of time. But you can usually notice a trend. You can check their website directly for hours or the many helpful sites such as here and WDWig.com.
    Also - I would avoid the Magic Kingdom on Saturdays and Mondays. You also want to pay attention to Extra Magic Hours - always the chance to do this if you are staying onsite. Then if the park is open even later for those guests, you will definately get your money's worth.
    Just be a little patient, gather all your info and make a decision then.

Yes, I had heard to avoid the MK on Mondays, and avoid the water parks on the weekend. I heard that most people come to WDW on a Sunday, and most persons feel that they need to "begin" their vaca with the MK.....so Monday is the worst day for the MK. I was thinking of putting that off till Tuesday, because of that fact. I was trying to decide if (since we are at All Star Sports) we should start with an afternoon at MGM? or if we should go to Epcot, since that is the park my family seems to enjoy the most......I really would like to find out if the time I picked is a generally good or bad time for WDW and crowds. I guess I should get the "Un-official guide" since I heard that has stats for every day......

Cindertina is offline A-Ticket holder
    My family has always been able to do pretty much everything at MGM and Ak in less than a day. We will usually spend the rest of the day at the pool or at another park, but you can use this for the day that you arrive. I would look at what attractions you don't want to miss and do those first. Make sure to check the times for the shows too to plan accordingly. We would always try to plan a "strategy" as to the next five rides we would ride while we wait for a show to start or in a line, this would help us to stay on track as to what we wanted to get done in that day. Also, other than MK, I have noticed that most of the other parks are not as crowded when the gates first open (maybe that is more of a comparison to MK), but the rides usually will have a minimal wait so you can get more out of the way and watch more of the shows in the afternoon while everyone is at the parade (we only attend one parade a trip so we can ride more rides).

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    I have been the last week of August.... The crowds begin to thin out... Mainly it's people from the north that are visiting that week..
    Have Fun no matter what....You are in Disney!!!

Thanks dzney4lyf. I was really hoping to hear from someone who had been in the parks at the end of August and beginning of Sept. You say that the crowds begin to thin out. Is there any order you would do different parks in ? How would you recommend we do the parks? should we save the MK for later in the week? I would really appreciate any advice to keep me out of lines. I really don't want to spend my VACA in lines........

Is the park usually open late at that time of the year ?

Where is ny are you from? My parents had a summer house for years in Keene Valley outside of Lake Placid.......and My wife's uncle lives in Rochester.....and My mom lives in Saratoga......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast