Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Marathon Weekend Crowds in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi everyone! I hope you're all having wonderful holidays! I posted something about this in another section of the site, but then I realized that it would've been much better ...
    DOasDREAMERSdo is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Marathon Weekend Crowds

Hi everyone! I hope you're all having wonderful holidays!

I posted something about this in another section of the site, but then I realized that it would've been much better suited here, so I apologize!

My family's going to WDW on January 6 (woo!) and while I'm very very excited, our trip is going to conflict with the Marathon Weekend. I've been trying to dig up some info on the crowd situation, and so far I've only found out that early mornings are the best bet for minimal crowds.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience visiting these days and had any recommendations for which parks are least crowded each day. There are separate events throughout the World each day, but I'm having trouble guessing which park would be best to visit based on where the events are.

Thank you all! Merry Christmas!
    Any wish is possible,
    all it takes is a little courage to set it free

Re: Marathon Weekend Crowds

This will be the 3rd marathon weekend I'll be attending. If you go by what they are saying about the values and moderates being sold out then yes it could be busy. But I really don't remember it being that crazy in the parks tho. Many people coming in will be there to run so you're looking at a good amount being out of the parks early on Friday and Saturday.
    I haven't looked up what park for which day but my friend has and I think Thursday is good for AK, Friday is Studios, and after that I'm not sure. I think he looked on Touring Plans.

Make sure you cheer on the runners as they go through the park. We love to hear people yelling out to us. It gives us a little boost of energy!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Mad Hatter is offline B-Ticket Holder

I looked at the Touring Plans website, and it said that the crowds should be fairly low.
    Between a 4 and a 6 while you are there. Hope that helps.

Chin Chin!
    Mad Hatter

emilyrose0507 is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi,
    The only thing that you will have to worry about with the Marathon Weekend is in the early morning you might have a little trouble with traffic. Only because some of the roads might not be all the way open because of they ran on the roads as well as through the parks. Also the races go through all the parks so if you go real early in the morning you might have a little trouble with the runners in the park. I know that even mid morning they are still running through Epcot. But other then that it should not be a big deal.
    If you want to know what roads are going to be in use for that weekend you can ask the front desk of where your staying at in the world. Or Google Disney marathon. You will be able to see the race course and might be able to see what roads might be closed. One thing that I have seen during the Race weekend was that when the runners were running through the park when the park is now open to other guest. Even know they are running the race course park guest that have no clue what is going on are walking right in their way. And I have even seen runners being knocked over. So if you know what parks will be used the most for the races you will be better off.
    But if your out and do see someone running the race look at the bib. Their name will be on there under the number, Please tell then Good Job. Trust me it makes a long race much better. Other then that just have fun and ride Space Mt for me please.....

DOasDREAMERSdo is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks so much for all of your help and input you guys!! I really appreciate it! :]
    I'll be sure to cheer on any runners I see! I know I sure couldn't run that far, so I greatly admire anyone that can!

Good luck to all of those running!!!!
    Any wish is possible,
    all it takes is a little courage to set it free

williams is offline C-Ticket Holder

I have been there before on the day of the Marathon, and Epcot was not any extra crowded that it usually would be in January, so I think January is the best month of the year to go to WDW.

Best Regards,

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

There real problem with the marathons is getting around. For some reason, they put the marathon right thru the middle of parks which is silly and should be stopped.

I was there this past weekend and it caused huge problems in traffic as I write here

Mouse Extra Blog Archive A Call to End the Marathon Madness

Frankly, I think the marathon must go or at least get changed. The effect on non-marathoners is not fair
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom