Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Boyfriend with a Cast in the Vacation Planning forums; So, last weekend my wonderful boyfriend managed to spend an entire day snowboarding without injury, and then the same night after coming back he slipped on an icy step and ...
    zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Boyfriend with a Cast

So, last weekend my wonderful boyfriend managed to spend an entire day snowboarding without injury, and then the same night after coming back he slipped on an icy step and landed on his elbow and broke it very badly. He has a cast on that's going to be on for another 6-8 weeks that goes from his wrist right up to his armpit. (oh as a note it's his left hand and he's right handed which was good at least).

Now, in 4 weeks we're going on a trip to Florida with my family. Everyone is staying in a rented home on the beach a few hours from Orlando with the general plan to swim and enjoy the free golf that the housing complex has the entire time. These clearly are not options for my boyfriend, so luckily my Christmas present from is that we are driving to Orlando and staying for 2 nights at Pop Century and going to the Magic Kingdom for a day (we also have reservations at Ohana yay!).

My question is if anyone can think of any rides that he will NOT be able to ride? We're thinking that if we stick a poncho on his he can still do splash mountain. One problem is that he can't move his arm up at all... I'm trying to think if there are any ride restraints that ask for you to life your arms up while the restraints are coming down?

We also were thinking that now that he is going to be pretty bored at the beach (we tried bags and duct tape as well as a few types of cast covers.. they still get his cast wet in the shower) that we might as well spend FULL days at Disney on the days we arrive and leave the hotel. Can anyone think of any activities that might be fun? Does anyone have any experience mini golfing with a cast on? haha.

1 small world is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Boyfriend with a Cast

You've got the right idea.

Some like rockin rollercoaster may be a no go - the safety bar is a pull down.

I don't know how much of a stickler the cast members will be if he can't put a belt on or do the pull bar unaided - space mountain for example.

BTW - some casts are waterproof nowadays. I teach and the kids who've had casts recently have not had to deal with the water issue. The cast is waterproof!

good luck, bring a poncho!

We're Canadian so plaster casts were no-cost, but anything additional was extra. He splurged for the much lighter fiberglass cast since it's lighter and the cast is his entire arm, but the water proof one was too much for us unfortunately.

Also, we're just going to the Magic Kingdom so rockin roller coaster isn't an issue. And he can hold his arm out of the way of a restraint and then use his right arm to pull the restraint down... but I'm thinking in Stitch's Great Escape that there isn't any room to move his arm out of the way and it HAS to go up? I can't think of anything else in the magic kingdom that has a pull down bar? He can for sure put on a belt and pull up a pull bar (this would be a bigger problem if he had hurt his right arm).

I'm thinking he'll be okay... he hasn't had much of a problem with not being able to do things and the only things I really have to help him with is cutting his meat and putting the bag and tape over the cast haha. He gets mad if I ask him if he needs help with something, and this morning he told me that he's planning on going skiing next weekend... I might have to kidnap him to prevent that

RuddyWDW is offline Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery

If I remember correctly, on Stitch you dont need to raise your arms you just have to sit back in your seat and the restraints lower onto the top of your shoulders.

Ruddy

Quote Originally Posted by RuddyWDW View Post
    If I remember correctly, on Stitch you dont need to raise your arms you just have to sit back in your seat and the restraints lower onto the top of your shoulders.
    Ah you're right! Thanks! I think we're okay for all the magic kingdom rides then... yay! I just found out that my aunt and uncle are staying in Orlando and said that we can stay an extra night or two with them if we want to do more than one day of Disney... so far my boyfriend is saying now, but I have 4 more weeks to convince him! haha