Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Thanksgiving in Disney? in the Vacation Planning forums; My family was thinking about going down to Disney during Thanksgiving this year. However, we heard that the parks are extremely crowded during this time. I was wondernig if anyone ...
    Soarin' Over PA is offline B-Ticket Holder

Thanksgiving in Disney?

My family was thinking about going down to Disney during Thanksgiving this year. However, we heard that the parks are extremely crowded during this time. I was wondernig if anyone could share from experience how crowded the parks are that Sun-Thu during thanksgiving. Thanks for the help!
    “If you can dream it, you can do it.” -Walt Disney

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Re: Thanksgiving in Disney?

We went in 2007 and were there a week. The only park that I remember being congested to where it bothered me was the Studios and I only noticed it around the Muppet Lab area. The crowds were heavy but it is still do-able if you plan ahead. We also made a list of the Must Dos and focused on those for sure. The kids were told that we would try to do as much as possible but we might not get to ride a lot. However, we were able to accomplish a lot. I would go again if my work schedule allowed me to!

Be sure to get your ADRs and be prepared to pay a holiday surcharge for meals.

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

We went on Thanksgiving one year and decided to do Animal Kingdom because we thought it wouldn't be that busy.

I don't remember it being overly busy, and we ate counter service so we didn't have to deal with ADR's that might have been hard to get because of the holiday. It wasn't bad, from my memory, but I don't know how the other parks were that day.

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

This past November my girlfriend and I went we left the saturday prior to thanksgiving and returned home thanksgiving afternoon.

The parks were not too terribly crowded we did most of the things we wanted too do, but we were limited on time however. Lines were not too long we rode splash mountain a few times with a little as a 5 minute wait. But Soarin' had gotten to be an hour and 50 minutes or so.

The extra magic hours are pretty sweet too, one day MK opened at 9 and closed at 3 am...it was great. So far my favorite time to visit.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

We were thinking of visiting at the same time, although I have never been away for Thanksgiving and that's hard for me since I like tradition, although I am really looking forward to going. I'm wondering where to eat on Thanksgiving Day to make it seem like a real Thanksgiving, I know the most obvious would be Liberty Tree Tavern, but I'm just assuming that it will be very hard to get into. Any other suggestions?
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    We were thinking of visiting at the same time, although I have never been away for Thanksgiving and that's hard for me since I like tradition, although I am really looking forward to going. I'm wondering where to eat on Thanksgiving Day to make it seem like a real Thanksgiving, I know the most obvious would be Liberty Tree Tavern, but I'm just assuming that it will be very hard to get into. Any other suggestions?
    Figure out the booking window, and call FIRST thing that morning. And while you're on hold, hit the internet, too. It can be done (I know, I've lucked out) but you need to be persistent.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Soarin' Over PA View Post
    My family was thinking about going down to Disney during Thanksgiving this year. However, we heard that the parks are extremely crowded during this time. I was wondernig if anyone could share from experience how crowded the parks are that Sun-Thu during thanksgiving. Thanks for the help!
    It does tend to get nutty. Not as bad as NYE, but it's crowded. Any time it's a holiday and the kids are out from school, it is usually packed. I don't mind the crowds when I'm walking, but when the lines for the rides exceed a 90-minute wait, it's a total waste of a ticket for me. Last year, I went down on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and while it wasn't as bad, it was still a little more crowded than I prefer it to be.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

Two years ago my family came for Thanksgiving. We wanted to take my Mom to Studios to see the lights the day after Thanksgiving. EVERYONE is the Orlando area with company in town had the same idea. We had great difficulty entering the parking lot and had to force the issue to park in the handicapped area...since the CM said there was no space. (DH and DD had driven separately and knew there were parking spaces available.) We didn't attempt any other attractions. If you come, there will be plenty of people to share in the festivities.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

bigthundermicky is offline C-Ticket Holder

Spent 2 Thanksgivings in Disney, including 2009. Thursday, Friday and Saturday are packed - all 4 parks. The sunday following is not too bad, probably b/c it's a travel day for most weekenders, but the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. following the weekend are desolate. Awesome time to go if you can swing going after the holiday weekend. Hope this helps.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Figure out the booking window, and call FIRST thing that morning. And while you're on hold, hit the internet, too. It can be done (I know, I've lucked out) but you need to be persistent.
    OK thanks supernova, I'll try that, but now I'm wondering if we should go to the Magic Kingdom on Thanksgiving Day, I'm assuming it's going to be the most crowded park.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!