Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Ak & dhs in the Vacation Planning forums; We have one day to hit both DHS and AK. We want mainly to hit the headliners, as we go often. (Safari, Everest & TOT, TS Mania, and RKN Coaster) ...
    heff is offline A-Ticket holder

Ak & dhs

We have one day to hit both DHS and AK. We want mainly to hit the headliners, as we go often. (Safari, Everest & TOT, TS Mania, and RKN Coaster) What do you think would be the best strategy? We r going in early June.

Mr_Increddieble is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Ak & dhs

ak early: dhs late
    breakfast at Restaurantasaurus (early)
    so your done for opening ceremony at
    the tree.
    i don't really know fastpass strategy as we have a special needs son but i'll try:
    grab an ee fastpass but go ahead and ride it also, then kali, then safari, then ee again, then dinosaur then lunch (maybe try the picnic in the park thingy).

head to dhs (maybe they have emh if your staying on-site)
    work your way right to left so your at tsm during the parade
    (i don't know if they'll be shorter lines but hey it's a plan)
    get on a boat and go to kouzzina for dinner
    (or maybe hit 50's ptc) boat ride would be nice especially on along hot day in june
    then catch the last idol performance, grab some ice cream, movie ride, climb the giant hat and yell "I'm the king of DisneyWorld!"

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Another option, if you have your own vehicle is to go to DHS at opening, ride RnR Coaster. then grab a FP for TSM. FP lines for TSM can be 30 minutes at opening, so ride something before picking up the FP. Send only one in the party for the TSM FP. Leave DHS and go to AK, you'll come back for TSM later in the day. Get a FP for Everest, then check the line at Safari. If it is over 30 minutes, wait until you can grab a FP and enjoy other attraction in Africa and Asia. Ride Everest followed by Safari if you have not already done so. Eat lunch based on your FP return times for Everest. Visit Dinoland if desired of Festival of the Lion King. Head back to DHS in mid-afternoon and grab a FP for ToT. Ride TSM, then enjoy other attractions until ToT FP time is up. Finish the day at DHS with other attractions or Fantasmic. This plan may seem to waste some time driving back and forth, but makes judicious time of your FPs.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

I definitely agree that you want to do AK in the AM though my plan of attack is different. We do the same thing as you (split the day into AK and DHS). We get there when AK opens and immediately jump on Kilamanjaro Safari. It's one of the worst queues as the day goes on and the animals are less available/active as the day goes on as well.

Once you've done KS, head over to Everest and get a fast pass. Jump into queue for the next Nemo show and by the time it's over you're fast pass will probably be ready.

We then head over to Rainforest Cafe for lunch and hop the bus to DHS. We hit what we can over on Sunset and always try to pick a night Fantasmic is showing so that's how we end the evening.

Either way... ENJOY!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Mr_Increddieble is offline A-Ticket holder

I'm no fastpass expert so I love reading about the strategical thinking applied to optimize ride time during the trip. Sounds like teamwork helps.

Once at AK we were watching the Lion King show and someone handed me a FP for Everest since they were leaving or whatever. I went to use it and someone told me that it is worth seeing the queue if I never had. So I went thru the line and looked at all the artifacts and camp site scenes. I'm glad I did but I never used the Fastpass.

I like the Rainforest Cafe idea.

heff is offline A-Ticket holder

Interesting. My preconceived notion was DHS early AK later and maybe DHS again later. But good ideas. Any more? How bad are the TSM lines/fastpass times typically? I have heard that it can be hard to get a fastpass.