Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Now saving... MONEY!!!!! in the Vacation Planning forums; I went to the dollar store yesterday and bought a cork board, and some Disney stickers. I decorated the frame, and put the word "expenses" on the top. I know ...
    mickey's_girl is offline A-Ticket holder

Now saving... MONEY!!!!!

I went to the dollar store yesterday and bought a cork board, and some Disney stickers. I decorated the frame, and put the word "expenses" on the top. I know what my weekly budget is, so I got some envelopes and broke it down into categories eg. groceries, meals out, smokes, lottery tickets, extras, etc. Then I figured out what I spend a week on each of these things ($70/week on smokes, $60-$150/week on groceries). At the beginning of the week, I will put the amount I spend on each into the envelope, and take it as I need it. For eg., I buy a pack of smokes everyday on my way to work. Now, instead of bringing more money than I need (and risking spending that, too) I will only grab $10 that I need. The change goes back into the envelope. At the end of the week, any change in the envelopes goes into the change jar. I'm hoping it will help me cut down on my smoking, cut coupons etc. For me, this is a good idea, becsause I'm very impulsive, and if I see something I want, and don't usually think twice. It'll be fun at the end of the week to see what changes I've had to make to ultimately get what I want.

I could think of a quick way for you to save $70 a week and maybe your life! Sorry...too politically incorrect? I've just watched too many people I know lose the battle to cigarettes.

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    Okay.. are you smoking 2 packs a day??? I hope so for 10 bucks!!!

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    It is always good to think those things out. Every day when I get home, I put all my change into a large mug and all my 1 dollar bills into a box. That way I do not have ones at work and visit the snack machine. I had close to $200 saved for spending at my last Disney vacation by doing this.

But I am with everyone else - save yourself $70 a week and save your lungs at the same time!!

The $70 is 1 pack a day. Up here they are about $9/pack. If I switch to rolling though, I will cut back drastically (too lazy to roll everytime I want one). Also, it will only cost me about $65 for 2 weeks, instead of $70 for one.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    My bf went from about a pack and 1/2 a day to now about 4 a day by making his own. There is a machine you can get that runs about $50 for an initial cost but really pays off in the long run. You just put in the tobacco, slide on a tube and pull the handle-very quick. His cost is about $8 a month..took him 6-8 months to get to this point.
    I also do the envelope thing but go a step further to prevent spending...every payday I put in enuf to cover 1/2 of what my monthly bills will be so I am not short when it comes time to pay--I actually even break down what I spend on personal care products and home products so i don't get behind.
    When I have enuf I exchange the smaller bills for bigger ones as not to spend it as easily (much harder to break a hundred then 5 twenty's ) Each envelope is even dated as to when i have put in money so I know how much should be in there--a bit neurotic, but it helps because I'm like you when it comes to cash on hand-SPEND ME! SPEND ME!
    Good luck in saving and as I do not smoke I just have to say....SMOKING BAD<<<DISNEY GOOD..lol

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak
    wow.... a pack a day... that's ... 20 cigarettes in 24 hours.... wow...
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

Quote Originally Posted by rosworms
    wow.... a pack a day... that's ... 20 cigarettes in 24 hours.... wow...
    20? Is that how many are in a pack? How does one get anything else done if they are smoking that many cigarettes in a day? Especially assuming that they probably sleep at least 6 hours a night!

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    Okay.. this is getting way off track... Yeah there are smokers out there that smoke a pack a day and I probably do a lot more in a day than a non smoker...

#1EeyoreFan is offline I love Eeyore! Disney Forever, and ever and ever etc.
    I take my money awards that I get 2x a year from work, put it in a separate account along with 25.00 a week from my check and 25.00 a week from my husbands check and put that in my vacation acct. I also have a water jug that I feel every year and that is my spending money for Disney. I get everyone that comes into my house to put some change in the jug. When I have a party at my house I mess around and tell them .25 cents to flush the toilet. LOLOL! Sometimes I get money and sometimes I don't. I also cook dinner for my Mother and Father, they only live a few houses away, and I make them put there spare change into the jug to pay for the meal. They all laugh at me, but I go to Disney every year. When I go out to the bars and stuff any change from my friends ordering drinks , might come to 2.25 for a beer, I will take they .75 and so on and so on. I am halfway filled now, this actually is the most I have ever had in the jug. And I will cash it in the week before I live and when I come back I will empty all the change that I have collect in Disney and start all over again for next year.
    DISNEY IS MY HAPPY PLACE THE ONLY TIME THAT I GET 2WKS OF HAPPINESS AND WORRY FREE TIME!!!!!! This time I will see it through the eyes of my baby girl born 2008.

Next Trip is December 2010

Can't wait!!!!!!

Jul- 85 - Poly- 1st Time ever Nov - 97 - Best Western
    Nov- 98- travel Lodge Nov- 99 - Music - Family Trip
    Oct- 00 - Music Nov- 01 - Movies
    Oct-02- Movies Dec- 03 - Movies
    Oct-04- Pop - Married Dec- 05- Pop
    Dec-06 - Pop Nov- 07- Pop

wow, your packs have only 20 in them? Ours have 25. I realize if right out quit, I could afford a trip to WDW EVERY year. I am currently deciding what is more important to me, and I think I know my answer. So when the time comes, I will take the slow painful journey down that road, and know the rewards are 100 times better.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey's_girl
    wow, your packs have only 20 in them? Ours have 25. I realize if right out quit, I could afford a trip to WDW EVERY year. I am currently deciding what is more important to me, and I think I know my answer. So when the time comes, I will take the slow painful journey down that road, and know the rewards are 100 times better.
    We will all be here to support you when that time comes! Just think...to be able to afford to go to Disney every year! What an incentive!

JLTraveling is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey's_girl
    Yeah, ours only have 20...but I only pay $2.25 a pack. Anyway, I'm in the process of starting that slow painful journey myself...am going the cut down slowly route, cause every time I've quit cold turkey, I've started again when life got stressful. Best of luck to you when you decide you're ready!

Quote Originally Posted by JLTraveling
    Yeah, ours only have 20...but I only pay $2.25 a pack. Anyway, I'm in the process of starting that slow painful journey myself...am going the cut down slowly route, cause every time I've quit cold turkey, I've started again when life got stressful. Best of luck to you when you decide you're ready!
    Never smoked a single cigarette in my life so I cannot understand the draw. Best of luck to you also when you start the process. Lots of support can come from this site!

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98
    Never smoked a single cigarette in my life so I cannot understand the draw.
    Smoking, like most vices, is an addiction. Unfortunately, it can be a VERY hard habit to break. Fortunately, there are alot of resources to help you. OTC medications like the Patch and nicotine gum to prescription medication that EVERY doctor should prescribe.

Mickey's_Girl, stay strong and kick the habit. We know you can do it and will support you all the way. Plus the incentive of Disney EVERY YEAR is VERY strong. I wish I had a habit to kick with that kind of reward.

Now back to what this thread was originally about: My DD's started a penny jar around Christmas time for "something special" They don't know yet that it is going towards our Disney trip in June!!! They take all of my change and put it in the jar when I get home from work. I can't wait.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast