Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Spirit Air vs Southwest Air in the Vacation Planning forums; We normally use Spirit Air. We live outside of Atlantic City. But with the continual rise in extra fees, Spirit Air is no longer a bargain in my eyes. We ...
    mickeyspal! is offline A-Ticket holder

Spirit Air vs Southwest Air

We normally use Spirit Air. We live outside of Atlantic City. But with the continual rise in extra fees, Spirit Air is no longer a bargain in my eyes. We have considered driving to Philly to use Southwest Air but am leary because we've never used them before. I would appreciate any opinions on this subject please. Thank you.

shelbell77 is offline Deck 7 Cool Kid!

Re: Spirit Air vs Southwest Air

Southwest is awesome. Great friendly service, good airfares usually, and free checked baggage. I would say, keep an eye out in advance for Southwest sales - sometimes they do some really great sales that you need to keep your eye out for.
    -----------------------------------------------

Shelley
    Are you 23??? I am!!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Spirit was on the news here in Illinois clarifying their increase.

Claim is they lowered the actual airfare by $40.00. Carry On charge $45.00, so in reality, $5.00 charge for carry-on. Checked baggage charge is $25.00. So if you checked it you would come out ahead.

My question is how do you know the airfare is really $40.00 less with the ever fluctuating airfares. It is like when Disney cutting out appetizers and gratuity from the dining plan and lowered the price by $1.00. The Disney decrease in price was short lived. Disney jacked up the price higher than before the dining switch-or-roo. So with Disney in mind, how long will Spirit really lower their price by $40.00? I doubt other airlines will follow, too many business travelers that always carry on luggage.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Love Southwest! That's all we use. It's only a 2hr flight for us. I suspect about an hour and a half out of Philly. Sign up for the Ding! Philly get's some good deals.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by shelbell77 View Post
    Southwest is awesome. Great friendly service, good airfares usually, and free checked baggage. I would say, keep an eye out in advance for Southwest sales - sometimes they do some really great sales that you need to keep your eye out for.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Spirit was on the news here in Illinois clarifying their increase.

Claim is they lowered the actual airfare by $40.00. Carry On charge $45.00, so in reality, $5.00 charge for carry-on. Checked baggage charge is $25.00. So if you checked it you would come out ahead.

My question is how do you know the airfare is really $40.00 less with the ever fluctuating airfares. It is like when Disney cutting out appetizers and gratuity from the dining plan and lowered the price by $1.00. The Disney decrease in price was short lived. Disney jacked up the price higher than before the dining switch-or-roo. So with Disney in mind, how long will Spirit really lower their price by $40.00? I doubt other airlines will follow, too many business travelers that always carry on luggage.
    That's a great point. The fares are always fluctuating. Don't get me started on the dining plan.... Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney05 View Post
    Love Southwest! That's all we use. It's only a 2hr flight for us. I suspect about an hour and a half out of Philly. Sign up for the Ding! Philly get's some good deals.
    Oh I heard about the Ding but I forgot all about it. Southwest is looking pretty good. Thanks for the tip!

I use SW all the time and love it. They are so friendly and relaxed on the plane. Some people don't like the open seating but I don't mind it. Sign up for their rapid rewards to earn a free ticket.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

I love Southwest!!!!!! We fly out of Philadelphia, too and before Southwest got there we were always stuck with USair, ugh. Last April we got a great fare for September at $59 bucks each way for our trip during the free dining period. We have flown Southwest twice now and just couldn't be happier with them. The boarding assignments instead of seat assignments was great, boarding the plan is fast and efficient. On time is fantastic especially compared to USair. Also used Southwest out of Baltimore and we just as happy and impressed with them. How does everybody feel about the extra fee you can pay to get your boarding assignment 12 hours before everyone else. I wasn't that pleased with the idea as I make it a point to get right on the computer 24 hours before our flights and I couldn't see paying the cost of a oneway ticket to get our boarding assignments early. Three passengers $10 per each way and our tickets were only $59 each way.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

wdwfns2 is offline D-Ticket Holder

We have been flying southwest for 10+ years and have never had a problem. Make sure you get an early flight and check in online 24 hours early for the early boarding pass
    Day 1 WDW Radio
    Keep to the code

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Have had good luck with Southwest out of Raleigh. It means a 2 hour drive to the airport, but is still a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by disneycrazy1956 View Post
    How does everybody feel about the extra fee you can pay to get your boarding assignment 12 hours before everyone else. I wasn't that pleased with the idea as I make it a point to get right on the computer 24 hours before our flights and I couldn't see paying the cost of a oneway ticket to get our boarding assignments early. Three passengers $10 per each way and our tickets were only $59 each way.
    I agree. The 24 hours for us is fine. I always get "A" anyway.
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

Quote Originally Posted by lorilovestigger View Post
    I use SW all the time and love it. They are so friendly and relaxed on the plane. Some people don't like the open seating but I don't mind it. Sign up for their rapid rewards to earn a free ticket.
    I'm not familiar with the open seating that you mentioned. What is it? Thanks for the info.

Thank you all for your comments. It's been very helpful. I need to check out the SW website. Our trip is in December, I hope we can get a good deal. I may have to talk hubby into driving to Philly. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyspal! View Post
    I'm not familiar with the open seating that you mentioned. What is it? Thanks for the info.
    Seats are not assigned or reserved but are taken up on first-come basis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast