Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Help me plan the best 40th Birthday Trip ever!! in the Vacation Planning forums; Hey guys!! I finally talked my DH into letting us go down to WDW for my 40th birthday on June 20th. You all know that I love WDW more than ...
    Mary jo is offline Fastpass Holder

Help me plan the best 40th Birthday Trip ever!!

Hey guys!! I finally talked my DH into letting us go down to WDW for my 40th birthday on June 20th. You all know that I love WDW more than anything in the world, but I am honestly scared about this trip.

Background information: My husband has been to WDW ONCE (June 2008). I begged him then to go then and I promised that he would love it. Let's just say that the heat and crowds were not in my favor and he hasn't been back. Overall, he had a so-so time. Ironically, I said I would never go back again in June, nor with him. He said he didn't understand why I enjoyed running around, standing in long lines and being miserable. There were certainly ups and downs to that trip.

So, now that you know what I'm up against, I want to plan a great trip for him and for the rest of us to truely enjoy. It will be DH, DD (11), DS (7) and myself. I don't want anyone to have to get up early (but one day)and we will have to relax for a good portion of it (I want him to enjoy it). I have had many opportunities without him to do "Dumbo-do-or-die" touring or Commando touring. So, this needs to be an entertaining, fun trip, but mostly relaxing.

This is what I have planned thus far. We are staying 5 nights at AKL Concierge.

Day One: Arrive late afternoon, swim at resort, maybe go to a park?

Day two: Sunrise Safari

Day three: Dinner at Jiko

Day four: Large dinner party with friends at Brown Derby, then Illuminations Cruise

Day five: ***My Birthday*** Really the only thing that I want to do is see the Electric Light Parade.. Dinner and other stuff haven't decided

Day six: ??? Leave after late breakfast

I'm just wondering if you all have suggestions for dealing with "Grumpy" and other agenda items that you would think would be good. I thought about Dessert Party on my birthday evening, but don't know how that would tie in with the parade. I want to get a good view of it.

Just looking for your thoughts.
    Mary Jo
    Listen for Storytime with MoJo

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

Re: Help me plan the best 40th Birthday Trip ever!!

Sounds like a lot of fun. If you have the extra money, maybe you could go see Cirque du Soleil in Downtown Disney? I've never heard a bad thing about the show--it is supposed to be amazing, so I'm sure it is something that your husband, as well as the rest of your family, would enjoy.

As for touring the parks, I would just recommend taking advantage of EMH and resting during the afternoons to avoid the hottest part of the day. Hopefully that will keep your husband a little happier.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

I say leave "Grumpy" at home and take me with you!!!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder

Mary Jo, You picked a great resort for relaxing! Especially with concierge! He will love sitting on the balcony watching the animals, or just hanging out in the concierge lounge. Make sure that you check out Kidani Village too, you are allowed to use that pool as well, and it is really nice. Also, make sure to check out the activities that are going on at the resort. There are tours of the resort and tours of the restaurants that are very interesting, not crowded for him, and you will love it too. They even gave us samples from the restaurants!
    What are some of his favorite things to do at home? I'm sure there is something at Disney that will correlate with one of his hobbies.
    And as long as you wear your Happy Birthday button all day on your birthday, the Disney cast members will make your day special for sure no matter what you do!
    I don't think that you will get a great view of the parade from the dessert party spot. Unless you can view the parade first and then go over for the dessert party.
    And I agree about Cirque', you will all like that show.
    Good luck, and maybe I will see you then!
    Bonnie

Mary jo is offline Fastpass Holder

Bonnie and Amanda,
    Thank you for some great tips. I saw Cirque several years agoa and one of children has seen it. I took Andy to see a Cirque show out in Vegas a few years ago and he was ok with it. I honestly don't think I want to see it again myself. I think everyone should see it once, but for the money I would rather do something else.
    Bonnie,
    I looked into the time for the parade and fireworks on June 20th and it seems that the parade is at 9pm and the fireworks are at 10 pm. I'm not sure when the dessert party starts. I was thinking today maybe will do Ohanas for early dinner. I have had several delicious meals there.
    Or maybe since we are doing 2 really nice meals the days before, we just eat a hot dog on my b-day at Caseys. I love the hot dogs there.
    If we do a table service on Sunday, then I wouldn't do the dessert party. But if we do hot dogs, it would be perfect.
    Does anyone know if you can leave the "party" to go watch the parade, then come back to watch the fireworks?

Lori, It's not too late for you to come as the nanny. lol
    Mary Jo
    Listen for Storytime with MoJo