Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Thanksgiving crowds and Small children in the Vacation Planning forums; My wife and I are debating on whether to take our 3 and 5 yr old daughters to WDW for Thanksgiving week. We have generally only gone when the crowd ...
    Nanookz is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanksgiving crowds and Small children

My wife and I are debating on whether to take our 3 and 5 yr old daughters to WDW for Thanksgiving week. We have generally only gone when the crowd levels are low so my kids haven't stood in line more than 15 minutes. The crowd levels for that week according to touringplans.com is all 10's. For younger children is it worth going WDW with all the lines.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Thanksgiving crowds and Small children

We are actually planning a trip around the same time and to be honest with you I have a lot of reservations about it. We always use to go at Easter so compared to that I guess it's no big deal but lately we have been going in early November or even January, so compared to that it will be crazy. If I were able to go another time of year, I would, unfortunately I can't, so it's not an option for me. Young children usually do not react well to long lines, and they will be long. If you want to see the Christmas decorations then I think the week after Thanksgiving would be alot better. Good luck, maybe I'll bump into you
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Normally we would go at a different time but it is my daughters first year at school (kindergarten) and she is given the whole week of thanksgiving off so I figure what we would consider going. I figured that if the parks were extra busy the day of thanksgiving and the couple of days after then we could make it. Doing most of the touring in the first half of the week and slowing it down for the second half. But if it is packed all week I don't know they would be able to handle it.

You could check on touring plans.com for the crowd calender although to get the November info you would have to subscribe and I think it's around $11.00 for the year, sorry I don't belong or I would give you the info but maybe someone else on the boards could help you with that. The crowd calender tells you what the projected crowd levels are going to be like at each park (they are usually pretty accurate). 10 is the highest and that is what the Magic Kingdom will be on Thanksgiving Day and I hate to think about it but guess where I'm supposed to be on Thanksgiving Day.....you guessed it

touring plans is the first place I looked. I kinda expected the crowd levels to be 9 or 10 on thanksgiving and maybe the day after but it shows the whole week as 10's. With the whole week being 10's is what made me reconsider the idea. Two days at 10's wouldn't be a big deal but the whole week.

strange. as I was writing this I checked touringplans again and now they have all changed to a more moderate set of numbers. time to reconsider my thoughts

If you don't mind could you tell me what they are saying for the Magic Kingdom for the day before Thanksgiving, Nov. 24th and for Epcot on Tues. Nov. 23rd. We are rearranging our schedule. We wanted to go to Liberty Tree Tavern for Thanksgiving Day but I called this am (I'm officially 180 days out today) and they were all booked so we figure if we weren't getting into LTT, why bother going to the park on one of the busiest days of the year. Did you make your ADR's yet??

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

We went the week of Thanksgiving 2009, and the crowds were not bad at all. This was the first trip for my three kids (8,5,3) and it was very nice! We did have long lines at the Animal Kingdom on Thanksgiving Day, but other than that, no problems whatsoever.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

We were able to actually walk on several rides in EPCOT and MK that week too.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    We went the week of Thanksgiving 2009, and the crowds were not bad at all. This was the first trip for my three kids (8,5,3) and it was very nice! We did have long lines at the Animal Kingdom on Thanksgiving Day, but other than that, no problems whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    We were able to actually walk on several rides in EPCOT and MK that week too.
    wow, that's really encouraging. Thanks for the info. Hoping for the same this year

Well we are now booked. The levels go from 3 to 5 to 9 from Friday Nov 19 to the day after thanksgiving. the 9's start at Tuesday and through Saturday. We chose to go Friday to Friday. This way only half of the time is really busy. We decided to do the full dining plan for the first time. We have done the quick service 2 times and wanted to try something different. Probably Lou's fault. We were able to book le cellar for thanksgiving day at 7pm. Score.. I have only ate at chef Mickey's, crystal palace, ohana and akershus for breakfasts so this will be a change for us. We are going to do dinners at most of these and a couple more.

Thanks for the stats. That's great that you got into LeCellier on Thanksgiving Day, do you know if they are doing a special menu for that day? I haven't been able to find any special menus yet for this year. That's probably a good idea to be in Epcot on Thanksgining, they hold crowds the best of any park.

audisfan is offline A-Ticket holder

We have been that week. Crowds were very light the weekend before Thanksgiving up until the Wednesday before. It got much heavier on the actual holiday.

I'm glad we decided to skip the parks on Thanksgiving Day, hope to spend it relaxing, it's my first Thanksgiving away from home. I always host Thanksgiving and do all the cooking so this should be a real change of pace, I could actually get use to it.

Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    I'm glad we decided to skip the parks on Thanksgiving Day, hope to spend it relaxing, it's my first Thanksgiving away from home.
    We generally have to travel to two thanksgivings. Because we are going to Epcot earlier in the week we can stroll around a little in world showcase and get fastpass for future world rides. We'll try to slow down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookz View Post
    We generally have to travel to two thanksgivings. Because we are going to Epcot earlier in the week we can stroll around a little in world showcase and get fastpass for future world rides. We'll try to slow down a bit.
    sounds like a good plan, have fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast