Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss How cheap can we go? in the Vacation Planning forums; I live outside of Washington DC, and have an annual pass. I've compared the cost of gas for my car against flying on Air Tran, and its cheaper for me ...
    wedway is offline A-Ticket holder

How cheap can we go?

I live outside of Washington DC, and have an annual pass. I've compared the cost of gas for my car against flying on Air Tran, and its cheaper for me to fly as a solo traveler than deal with driving 13 hours plus traffic and rests. Other than staying at the All Star or Pop Century/Scopa Towers...are there any other ideas that anyone has for cheap ways for me to get more use of my annual pass more often? My big expenses right now are airfare, lodging, and those pesky student loans that won't ever go away!

Thanks! Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Jeff

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak

Re: How cheap can we go?

stop off at a grocery store at the beginning of the trip and pick up some snacks and drinks so that you can chow down on cheapos in the room in the morning and at night. then you'll only need one meal during the day. it's what i do for harry potter conventions.
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

Quote Originally Posted by rosworms View Post
    stop off at a grocery store at the beginning of the trip and pick up some snacks and drinks so that you can chow down on cheapos in the room in the morning and at night. then you'll only need one meal during the day. it's what i do for harry potter conventions.

harry potter conventions!!!! where are these taking place and what goes on there
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

Always check the Disney site when you're planning to go down for any Annual Pass discounts they might be running. For instance, right now they're offering 30% off on value and moderate resorts and 40% off on deluxe resorts. You never know what kind of discount they might be running.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I agree with the buying some food thing... it really helps to bring at LEAST snacks.
    My trips are always very cheap, but we drive (I haven't been able to find a flight in 3 years that's cheaper than driving all the way from Toronto, even with just me) and then stay off property at a place that has a full kitchen for $600 for about 5 nights for 6 adults. Obviously you won't have a car and it's just you so a place like that is not such a deal as it is with 6 adults ($100 each for almost a week!).
    But ya, chances are there are deals on rooms either just out at the time, or using your AP. As for food at the very least you can probably get stuff for breakfast and snacks to help a bit with food cost, and then try to eat at places where you get more bang for your buck (there was a disneyfoodblog.com post once about what counter service meals get you more food for what you pay). I'm a new graduate and don't have a lot of money, so I tend to not eat at table service restaurants, as hard as it is not to.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I had forgotten about that Food Blog article.

Moms Panel: Top 5 Restaurants Where You Get The Most For Your Money Disney Parks Blog

Read the comments below the article also for more ideas.

The on property but not Disney hotels (the originals by DTD) have some good deals. Lou did a piece on the Howard Johnsons, I believe a few months ago. The Hilton has most of the same perks as Disney owned hotels. They do have bus transportation so no car required. Since you do not have a car try Mears Transporation from the airport. It is generally a van.

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    harry potter conventions!!!! where are these taking place and what goes on there
    The next big one up is in a year. LeakyCon 2011 - Welcome if you are interested in going. What happens is a bunch of Harry Potter freaks like me get together and we party and have forums and lectures and Wizard Rock Concerts... lots of Wizard Rock concerts... and generally just finally get to be ourselves and not be judged for it.

Here's a video that I lurve from LeakyCon 2009 (from my own youtube channel).
    YouTube - Night of Wrock @ LeakyCon (with Epic Circle!!!)

And here is the little MTV segment covering Wrock Chicago (which I attended).
    'More Wizard-Rock Bands Are Forming Every Day' | News Video | MTV

And.... back to the topic.
    when you are at the parks, buy one water bottle (if they don't let you bring your own) and just keep refilling it at drinking fountains so you don't buy more and more.
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

designbymk is offline B-Ticket Holder

You can bring your own water & drinks. Load up a backpack with an option or two and a couple of snacks.

I wouldn't deprive myself of a wonderfully prepared Disney dining experience, but pick one that gives you the most value and eat that big in the middle of the day so you can snack for breakfast and dinner. As a solo traveler I'm thinking food is a smaller percentage of overall expense, quite honestly.

You could stay off property—I had a one night stay at a Radison off of 192 (about 3 miles off property) for a measly $46 and it was quite livable for just a place to crash at night. This is where you'll find the most savings I think, though transportation to the parks could get trickier.

Can't think of any suggestions for airfare; maybe try to find last minute flight deals sometime.

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

I know this won't be popular, but my "budget" trips... offsite. Free breakfast, free internet, and generally better accomodations etc. in rooms that cost less. Yes, I may have to pay for airport transport (or rent a car) but when I do the math it's still cheaper.

Plus some of the Lake Buena Vista area properties have pretty decent free park transport.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Here's a novel idea. Pay off student loans first.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

designbymk is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    Here's a novel idea. Pay off student loans first.
    Wait a second—YOUR'RE SUPPOSED TO PAY THOSE OFF?

Whoopse

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

Quote Originally Posted by designbymk View Post
    Wait a second—YOUR'RE SUPPOSED TO PAY THOSE OFF?

Whoopse

LMBO..... i just do auto bill pay and i pretend they arent there..lol
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy