Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss How young is too young for a Disney trip? in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi Everyone - Apologies if this has been discussed before... I've been wondering, how old is old enough to bring a child on his first Disney trip? I'm sure my ...
    Tripking is offline A-Ticket holder

How young is too young for a Disney trip?

Hi Everyone - Apologies if this has been discussed before...

I've been wondering, how old is old enough to bring a child on his first Disney trip?

I'm sure my son is too young now, but I'm really looking forward to sharing the Disney magic with him in the future.

Thanks!

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Re: How young is too young for a Disney trip?

I've seen newborns... Not that I recommend it... I think maybe 2-3 could work...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

We took our DD on her first trip when she was 3 1/2. It was our first trip, too. She remembers some things, but we had the best time watching her experience everything. Her age also kept us from trying to go commando at the parks and but she did great. Allearsnet has a great article discussing this topic: When Should I Take My Child to Disney? www.allears.net/ae/issue541.htm. It is an excellent article, and I heartily agree I wouldn't have missed seeing my DD hug Eeyore and kiss Pluto's nose and too many other things to mention.
    I marveled while riding the Walt Disney World Railroad how many modes of transportation we had been on in the last 4 or so hours. Her first plane ride, shuttle train in airport, a very nice Mears bus ride, another bus to the magic kingdom-strike that, to the TTC (no bus turn around in 1990), monorail to the magic kingdom and right on her first steam train ride. And we were just starting.
    Plan on down time for you and your child. On our last day we were spending the morning in the market place(now downtown disney) and my DD said to me: Why is Mommy so unhappy? None of us were ready to leave our new favorite place in the whole world.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

we have took our daughter at 1,3,4 and soon to be 6. when she was one it was awesome.. because she was so in love with mickey.. she grabed his nose and kissed it.. and she wouldnt let minnie go. her bedroom was done in mickey and minnie and she cut teeth on her stuffed mickeys nose. we did breakfast with mickey and it was nice.. she rode alot of the rides with us.pirates, haunted mansion, small world, and more.. so its not like some parks were their way to small to ride anything at all.

if you are taking a lil one. i would going during the off season and when its cooler.. we have went and seen lil baby's in strollers when its just to hot to have one out that small.. visiting the park with a lil one can be done.. just use you head a lil
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that first trip was in January, pretty quiet but still the weather was beautiful and pretty warm.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I'd say it simply depends on the child. Some are more well-behaved at a younger age than others. My son was always very quiet and well-behaved when he was little. But there were children years older than he that were still noisy and rambunctious bordering on out of control (Though, I blame much of that on the parents).

Just remember, it's rude to other guests if your child is a nuisance to them. If your child isn't, it doesn't matter what their age is.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

My oldest first trip was 14 months. We had a blast. His favorite stuffed animal was Mickey so there was a bond quickly. We did the 2 parks (only two until his second trip (MGM added) at his pace. It was great family time. DS did 5 trips to WDW by the time he was 4 years old.

My DD was 2 months old. She learned to sleep through the night while we were there. WooHoo for Mom! My DS got a lot of needed attention that trip and my DH got to spend some great bonding time with our new DD. DD enjoyed the movement of the rides and looking about.

We did do the trip with the 2 month old in cool temperatures which we had never done before, last week of January and first week of February. With a newborn I don't think it would have been successful in the heat.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

i was told when i was 10 months old i went lol
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

See I've always been a firm believer that you want your child to experience it... Bur also remember it... My parents waited till I was 8... I'm not condoning that because I would've remembered it at 5... But I think it is difficult to take a child and have them not remember a thing about it because they were too little... If it is your first child I would wait till their at least 2-3... If you have more than one... It is ok to take the little one because at least the older child will remember it... My cousin was there when she was 6 months old... She doesn't remember a thing about it... Even after looking at pics...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

First trip was a 2 year old and 7 month old. Second trip was 3 and 1. Best vacations I ever had.

EllenKH is offline A-Ticket holder

We took our kids at ages 8 and 11 -I'll never forget how the entire bus gasped as my 8 year old saw the castle and said, "Look, Mommy! The Castle!" I knew it would be memorable for all of us. I cried - :-) That 8 year old is now a 24 year old cast member!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    See I've always been a firm believer that you want your child to experience it... Bur also remember it... QUOTE]
    I could not disagree with you more. I have no idea how old your children are but to me I wanted to enjoy their young years with them because they go by so quickly. Family vacations are as much for the parents as they are for the children. Aside from my DD 2 month old visit they have odd memories they remember from each trip. I have wonderful memories of my son at Mickey's Birthday Party in Toon, standing on the bench clapping and having a blast. He was a toddler. He had so much fun there and so did we with him. So what if he doesn't remember it all. Heck I was at the Magic Kingdom in Elementary School the year it opened and I don't remember it all. As a small child I went to Disneyland 18 months old.
    I remember riding the boat around the gardens. That is it. My Mom enjoyed spending the day with me there. Kinda Walts intentions, a place to spend the day with your kid. That is what bonds families.

Like I said I have no idea where you are with your own children age wise but vacations in my world are not decided on if it is a forever memory, enjoying precious time with them in a place that is meant for young and old alike, priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    First trip was a 2 year old and 7 month old. Second trip was 3 and 1. Best vacations I ever had.
    Right there with you. Wouldn't take back a moment.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 07-11-2011 at 02:13 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

This is a topic that seems to pop up once every 6 months or so and boy oh boy do the opinions differ (as you've seen so far lol).

We lived in Jacksonville, FL when my DS was born which is about 2-3 hours from property. He was born in March and, while we wanted to go sooner, his first trip was the following February (he was 10 months old). We chose 10 months not because of his age but because we wanted to avoid taking a baby during the uncomfortable Florida summer. The memories we have of that first trip will live forever and, while I'm sure he doesn't actually remember it now, seeing his reactions to it all at that age was incredible and on subsequent trips (we were passholders so we ended up going 5 more times before we left Florida) you could tell he did have some memory of the prior trips based on what he noticed and reacted to.

Now he's 5 years old and Disney is his favorite place in the world. He watches old videos that we took of him when he was a baby at the parks and just loves to see himself there so young. He often comments on things he is doing in the videos as if he remembers it.

Bottom line, I think Disney is about the experience and the memories you carry with you as a family unit. There is no minimum age just as there would be no maximum age. It's about enjoying being together in the most magical place on Earth!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

my daughter does that.. when she looks at video of her as a baby at disney..lol
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

I was 18 months old when I went...and yes, I have some vague memories of it. My brother took his first trip for his 1st birthday, which I thought was a cool idea. When I have kids, I plan on getting them into Disney as early as possible like my parents did with us. A childhood without lots of Disney trips in it doesn't seem right to me :-)
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast