Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Shopping in Nassau in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi Disney fans. We are leaving in 2 weeks for our land/sea vacation. I have never been to the Bahamas and am curious to see what those of you who ...
    ajwiseman09 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Shopping in Nassau

Hi Disney fans. We are leaving in 2 weeks for our land/sea vacation. I have never been to the Bahamas and am curious to see what those of you who have been there think about the shopping. Are there good places to shop where people will be honest? Do they accept the American Dollar? And I am also interested in shopping for some jewelry, are there places there that sell real jewels and not fake? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." Walt Disney

Prior to 1998-Offsite (2 trips)
    2000-Fort Wilderness (5)
    2001-Fort Wilderness (5)
    2006-Offsite (3)
    10/10/09-10/17-Coronado Springs (Honeymoon) (6)
    12/31/09-1/4/10-All Star Movies (New Years) (3)
    10/7/10-10/16-Wilderness Lodge (1st Ann.) (8)
    11/24/10-11/28-Lighthouse Keys (2)
    3/9/11-3/15/11-LK & PO Riverside (5)
    7/29/11-8/6/11- LK and Disney Dream (3)
    9/2/11-9/6/11- LK (4)
    12/31-1/6/12 - LK and Carribbean Beach (7)
    3/29-4/2 - Pop Century (3)
    7/27-7/30 - LK (4)
    11/1-11/11 - Poly, Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Dream (5)
    5/23/13-5/27 - LK (5)
    8/3-811 - Disneyland (4)

Total Days in Disney Parks: 72

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Shopping in Nassau

We went on the Disney cruise in 2008. Nassau was the worst part. It's dirty and everyone wants to "braid yo hair". I'd stay on the ship if I could do it over again. Nassau is nothing special and the drivers are some of the worst I've ever seen in my life. They don't seem to understand the concept of staying in one lane. Nearly every vehicle I saw had some kind of battle damage. If you feel you HAVE to get off, do the Atlantis excursion.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

I agree with MartianCrab... We did "shopping in Nassau" the first cruise we toke and there was no good shopping and it was all really shady.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

My mom and dad went to the straw market. She didn't really have any complaints about it. The only place I went was to find cheap rum and the pirate museum gift shop. Honestly most people don't leave the ship in Nassau. I think I was only off the ship for two hours tops.

You just walk past the people that want to drive you somewhere and braid your hair. You will have to walk through a building to get "into" Nassau and out. You will need your passport also.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder

We did the Graycliffe Wine tour and that was fine. Just avoid the people offering to drive or braid something.

Yes American dollar is accepted

wdwfns2 is offline D-Ticket Holder

We went in '96 and between the Bo Derrek braiders and the cheap souvenirs or crack pipes for sale in the straw market we said never again...Too shifty for us. This year we'll stay on the ship and enjoy the AquaDuck
    Day 1 WDW Radio
    Keep to the code

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie19891992 View Post
    We did the Graycliffe Wine tour and that was fine.
    That sounds exciting. Was it offered through DCL? We can start booking our excursions next month!
    Last edited by TXTaylors5; 07-28-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfns2 View Post
    This year we'll stay on the ship and enjoy the AquaDuck
    Sounds like a great plan!
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)

"Sparkly"

We've been on three DCL cruises that stopped in Nassau ...

The first time, we ventured off on our own and used the beach at the British Colonial Hilton (for a fee). That was fun. I only bought a magnet that trip. My husband was happy!

The second time, we went to the infamous Straw Market. You just follow the waterline heading toward's Senor Frogs and the Straw Market can't be missed. My husband and I both got light-headed over whatever they were smoking around there. We had numerous people ask my husband if he needed something to smoke. We didn't like the atmosphere one bit. Lots of pushy vendors trying to sell their goods. But, I did buy our daughter her first LV there. I was proud of my haggling skills.

Last year, we didn't even get off the boat in Nassau. We did a wine tasting onboard and enjoyed the ship.

For Shopping:
    You can purchase duty-free alcohol and jewelry onboard. (even rum cake!)
    You can purchase authentic Bahamain goods on Castaway Cay. (Bring cash!)

We have found no good reason to spend money in Nassau. I felt safer buying our items onboard. Now, when we went to St. Thomas and St. Maarten . . . I spent, spent and spent. I just felt safer shopping there.

Now if you must shop in Nassau, Bay Street is the place. There are lots of jewelry and alcohol stores. DCL will give you a sheet with some reputable stores. Also, if you go to a shopping seminar onboard, you can score coupons for FREE items in Nassau.

Some Tips:
    Do NOT get your hairbraided in Nassau. People have been known to get lice. There are ladies onboard the ship that can braid your hair.

Negotiate a price with a taxi driver BEFORE getting into the taxi. If going to Atlantis, make sure the toll is part of your negotiated fee.

When going to the Straw Market, only bring the cash you plan to spend. Also, separate the money in your purse. So, you are not pulling out a big wad of cash. If I plan to only spend $20 on a purse, I pull out $20 without the vendor seeing and keep it in the palm of my hand. So, they only think that is what I have to spend. Haggling is encouraged in the Straw Market. So, don't be shy.

Be careful in Nassau. Do not step off the ship alone! The aisles of the Straw Market are cramped and people have been pickpocketed. Also, there have been news reports of tourists being mugged, even on the busy Bay Street. So, be careful and don't go alone (even in the daytime). There is crime everywhere. (even at WDW) So, just use common sense.

Yes, they do accept American dollars. However, you will be given Bahamian money as change. So, ask for American money as change if possible. Otherwise, exchange it at the port before embarking.

You do not need a passport when traveling to the Bahamas on a cruise boat. Only when traveling by air. However, you will need a picture id for any passenger 18 & over (drivers license is sufficient) and KTTW card when getting on and off the boat. Even on Castaway Cay.

Have a magical trip!
    Last edited by TXTaylors5; 07-30-2011 at 02:49 AM.
    Upcoming Disney Trips:

"Sparkly"