Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Labor Day? in the Vacation Planning forums; Due to some illness in the family that we are having to deal with, we're probably going to push our trip back a week or so. Had originally planned to ...
    clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Labor Day?

Due to some illness in the family that we are having to deal with, we're probably going to push our trip back a week or so. Had originally planned to spend 8/28-9/1 in the world (5 days), which was a great time I gathered from my research.

So, I was thinking about moving it a week (I don't want to wait any longer! lol), to 9/2-9/8, and Labor Day falls in the middle of that. Is that a busy time at WDW? We usually go in the first few weeks of March, so have no idea about this time of the year except for the heat.

Thanks!
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Stitchgirl1 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Labor Day?

It's busier than normal for that time of year and the Saturday will get a bit crazy but the rest of your trip should be fine. We're always there at that time of year, we just don't do MK on the Saturday. Kids are back at school in the UK so there will be less Brits in the area.
    Whatever you decide to do, have a great vacation. Hope your family member is better soon xxx

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

We use to do our trips right after Labor Day. Although still hot and humid the lines were very small.

Labor Day weekend is like the invasion of the Native Floridians who come to visit that weekend. Crowds are higher those few days. Avoid MK on that Saturday.

WDWToday.com did a podcast about 'other holidays' and talked quite a bit about Labor Day. The Podcast was at the beginning of 2011 I believe.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Love That Duck is offline D-Ticket Holder

Have a great trip. I agree, stay clear of MK on Saturday and you should be fine. Crowd levels should be on the low side the remainder of your trip.

I hope your family illness is not too serious and healing comes quickly and completely. I know it's rough, we had to postpone our Honeymoon twice last year due to my sons life-threatening critical illness and my husband's surgery. It's good you don't put your trip off longer than you have to.

We arrive the Sunday of Labor Day and stay through 9/15. The research I did looks like it's a good time to travel. I've make most of my trips to The World in Sept. and I've never been disappointed.

Have an awesome trip
    Last edited by Love That Duck; 08-11-2011 at 09:26 AM.
    ~Jerry & Nancy~

Sept. 3 - Sunrise WEDDING Vow Renewal then Drive to WDW
    Sept. 4-16, 2011 - WDW HONEYMOON:
    Sept 4-9 - Pop Century
    Sept. 10-16 - Caribbean Beach

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I think, as a general rule, unless it's Arbor Day, if it's a holiday weekend, I'd say common sense dictates that you can logically figure it's going to be crowded.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

bethinthesun is offline A-Ticket holder

Make ADR for Labor Day weekend as the locals crowd into the parks. Other than than the actual holiday from work, the parks are completely empty.
    You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

You can't even go by schools anymore. The times when parents should have their kids in class, they're at the parsk anyway. I purposely went the week AFTER Thanksgiving, figuring after having an entire week off, responsible parents would have their kids back at school and the crowds would be lighter. Not the case.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Thank you all! It turned out that we are still going to get to go 8/27-9/2. I hear that crowds are very low that week. Thank you for your well wishes.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

There used to be a bigger drop off after Labor Day, but so many kids have different starting times for school, that it's not as low as it had been. If you live here, you do see a difference in traffic and such.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

we booked after labor day week because i heard crowds are low.. and i choose sunday thru friday because i figure people usually leave on sunday and come in on fridays.. i'm tryin to bypass the weekend all together
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    You can't even go by schools anymore.
    Well this part I agree with. The US has all different school schedules and add in private schools, you have even more variations.

The times when parents should have their kids in class, they're at the parsk anyway. I purposely went the week AFTER Thanksgiving, figuring after having an entire week off, responsible parents would have their kids back at school and the crowds would be lighter. Not the case.
    This part I do take offense to. First I've sat on our Board of Education for years. Our National School Board Convention is during the school schedule. I did take my kids with me.

I annually took my kids out of school for 2 weeks each fall and a few times we switched up and did a winter and a late spring vacation during the school schedule. My kids always completed their assignments and often were ahead of the class when they returned. I scheduled departures on Mondays so they did mega homework for 2 and a half days prior to vacation. With the weeks they missed it did not ever harm their GPA's. I am an incredibly responsible parent and my DD graduated in the top 1% of her high school class and got accepted into the College of Mathematics at a top University in the country. My son just graduated with a double major. I did my job as a parent and I took great pride in my responsibility as a parent.

My husbands job does not allow him to take his vacation during traditional school breaks. It is also dramatically cheaper to take a family during off seasons. Sometimes family budgets require families to do what they have to do to take a family vacation. Beyond that many US school districts have gone to year round school schedules and have breaks in the exact time frame you described.

My father owned a construction company and took us out of school from Mid March to Mid April every year when I was growing up. Both my sister and I graduated college and my sister went on through law school. My father was a very responsible human being and nothing will every take away the time we spent together that month each year as he was very busy the other 11 months. Family time should never be discounted.

Even Lou's Cruise was during the school year for many of the kids. I'd never be the judgement police for those parents either.

When do you and your wife take your children to Disney World?
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i take bug out.. we have always took fall vacations since me and brent have been married.. and always will.. i just do the proper work and paper work and she doesnt fall behind and it doesnt count against her.. i cant say were taking her to disney.. because they dont count that.. but if i say. FL with aquariums and zoo and stuff like that.. they approve it..
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy