Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Cruise Rookie! in the Vacation Planning forums; Hey Gang- Need some advise from the experts out there. We are looking at going to the world 10/29-11/8. Staying at CBR. Last time we stayed at the Beach Club ...
    RMoneyTheHBomb is offline A-Ticket holder

Cruise Rookie!

Hey Gang-

Need some advise from the experts out there.
    We are looking at going to the world 10/29-11/8. Staying at CBR.
    Last time we stayed at the Beach Club and loved it, but were thinking we'd sub in a 3 night cruise by staying at a moderate.

So I've got a few questions..

#1) Is the transportation from our HOTEL to Port free like Magical Express? If not, how much does it generally run and is it worth it? (Keep in mind, we generally do not like driving on vacation)

#2) On the last day of the cruise....When arranging transportation mentioned above, is there also a Disney service that will take us to the airport that day? Does the ship generally get into port on a strict schedule? (worried about missing a flight)

#3) One of the things I'm looking forward to is the Sail Away Party, but it looks like a different incarnation on the DREAM. Is it still a lot of fun?

#4) Is it really unlimited food? (minus palo/remy/booze)

Thanks for all your help!

TheLionKing is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Cruise Rookie!

Hi Hbomb,

I'm certainly no expert but hope i can help a bit

1. Unfortunately no cruise transportation is not free like Magical Express (although it is operated by Mears like M.E.) A round trip, resort to Port, Port to resort or airport is $69 per person. Is it worth it generally depends on how many of there you are, for 2 it is the cheapest option if you don't want to drive (1 way car rental is generally always the cheapest option) for 3 people it is about on par with a town car service and for more than 3 people a town car service generally offers quite substantial savings.

There are a couple of positives and negatives to the service, positives are on your day of embarkation your luggage is collected from your resort room for you and the next time you see it is at your stateroom on the ship, the coaches are fun and help get you excited about your cruise, it is a pretty seamless operation and leaves you fairly free from worry like getting lost if you are driving etc.

Negatives are, you are not 100% guaranteed a DCL motor coach if one isn't available it could be a M.E. coach a plain Mears coach or even a Mears shuttle, we had a cramped shuttle once after debarkation and the $69 didn't feel such good value lol.
    Sometimes the coaches get you to the Port a little later than you might like and as above once there are more than 2 of you going the value of a town car service becomes a viable option. (incidentally we generally do 1 way car rentals now)

2. The Disney Cruise Line coaches will take you to either a resort or an airport on disembarkation day, just specify when you book.
    The ship generally docks very early morning and people can begin disembarking from around 7.30am with everybody ashore by 9am (assuming the ship doesn't get delayed by customs although this is rare.
    Disney recommends not booking a flight any earlier than 12.30pm.

3. The sail away party on the Dream is different to the Adventures away party on the Wonder and Magic and I must admit I prefer Adventures away but you will still enjoy the Dreams sail away party there's singing, dancing and music with the characters and cruise staff and of course the sounding of the ships horn. The Pirate party is also different to the Magic and Wonder, plus you get the Aquaduck on the Dream which is brilliant

4. Yes all food is unlimited apart from the restaurants you mentioned above and things like chips/snacks outside the cinema (although we've never been hungry enough to want any anyway lol) If you order room service although the food is free a few $ tip is expected. You also get free unlimited soda from the beverage station on deck and with your meals. Make sure you take pants with a bit of spare room in them lol.

Disney cruises are fantastic and the only thing that makes us leave WDW for a few days, the entertainment, dining, cruise staff, the ships themselves are outstanding and a cruise is the perfect compliment to a WDW vacation, you'll love it

JohnO is offline C-Ticket Holder

Cool Re: Cruise Rookie!

I concur with The Lion King.
    77- Disneyland 89- Disneyland 94- WDW ASSp 95- WDW OKW 98- WDW Hol.Inn MG 99- WDW Off Prop. 06- WDW ASMov 2/8 -2/16 07- WDW Pop 2/4 - 2/14 07- WDW All Star Mus 9/11 - 9/17 08- WDW ASMov 10/27 - 10/30 08- DCL Wonder 10/30 - 11/2 09- WDW AS Mov 9/21 - 9/27 09- DCL Wonder 9/27 - 10/1 10- WDW Off Prop. 4/23- 4/25 10- DCL Magic 7ngt Estrn 10/23-10/30 10- WDW CSR 10/30-11/1 12 - POR 1/8 - 1/15 392 Miles from WDW
    I Survived the 40 Hr Live Show Oct. 1 - 2/2011
    Johnoinsc in 'The Box'

Thanks for the advice King.

On the dream, is Pirate night on every cruise or is it the longer ones?

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

good questions....i'm cruising next fall too so this is helpful!!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

Quote Originally Posted by RMoneyTheHBomb View Post
    Thanks for the advice King.

On the dream, is Pirate night on every cruise or is it the longer ones?
    There is a Pirate night on every Disney cruise (fireworks weather permitting) Pirates in the Caribbean on the Magic & Wonder and Buccaneer Blast on the Dream, followed by Club Pirate both parties include a huge buffet, I rarely manage anything lol.

Donald_Quackers is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by TheLionKing View Post
    There is a Pirate night on every Disney cruise (fireworks weather permitting) Pirates in the Caribbean on the Magic & Wonder and Buccaneer Blast on the Dream, followed by Club Pirate both parties include a huge buffet, I rarely manage anything lol.
    On the 4 night and longer cruises, there is a pirate menu in the restaurants for dinner. I loved the chocolate gangplank cake.

Dec '10 -- Disney Magic 7 Nights/5 nights @ POFQ
    Dec '08 -- Disney Wonder 4 Nights/2 nights @ Pop Cent. / Dec '07 -- Coronado Springs
    Dec '04, '05 / Oct '03 -- Off Site/Vacation Home
    Feb '02 -- Port Orleans Riverside / May '00 -- Disney Institute (Now Saratoga Springs)
    Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald_Quackers View Post
    On the 4 night and longer cruises, there is a pirate menu in the restaurants for dinner. I loved the chocolate gangplank cake.

So is Pirate night only on 4 night cruises?

Quote Originally Posted by RMoneyTheHBomb View Post
    So is Pirate night only on 4 night cruises?
    No Pirate night is on the 3 night cruises too, the only tiny difference is on the 3 night cruise you visit the 3 main dining rooms, each of which will have it's own menu, on the 4 night cruises on Pirate night there is a Pirate menu, likewise on longer than 4 night cruises you get more different menus. You will have a Pirate night on a 3 night cruise

Below is from our 3 night cruise in May if you want to take a look

Day 1: WDW & DCL May 2011 day 7 (The Disney Dream)

Day 2: WDW & DCL May 2011 day 7 (The Disney Dream D2)

Day 3: WDW & DCL May 2011 day 7 (The Disney Dream D3)Saturday May 21st 2011